Dirty beaches

LitterHater

It appears most of us are in agreement here that there is a huge problem, but I really don't believe this is a northside problem that wouldn't happen in other neighbourhoods. I see it everywhere, from north to south and in the countryside. There's graffitti and litter all over the beach area of ritzy Greystones any weekend. I agree with the poster a page back or so who said this is a hangover from our past tradition of viewing rules as irrelevant because they were imposed on us by colonials. I'd go even further and say that there was an attitude of "it'll never be ours so to hell with it, we don't have to care about it" when it comes to any kind of property other than our own little patch of front lawn. While the hoodie contingent may be the worst offenders, they wouldn't engage in that behavior if we didn't tacitly allow it. Shop keepers (chippers, ice-cream sellers, etc.) apparently feel no responsibility to clean up outside of their premises. I've seen cigarette butts dropped from the hands of educated wealthy southsiders just as much as they drop from the hands of disenfranchised louts. There are no curfews (as there are in most other countries) that make it an offense for a crowd of youngsters to hang out on the beach late at night when nobody is patrolling. I'm not a grumpy old woman. I love to see young people out having fun, but there's something very wrong with a society that tolerates a situation where we pick ourselves gingerly over the used condoms and discarded needles and broken whiskey bottles day after day and do nothing about it.

Dillinger

it really isn't that unreasonable to expect people to take their rubbish home.
Anybody else have an opinion on this?

You are expecting far too much there from our society. Where I live people spend most of the time taking the rubbish in the other direction. They dump it everywhere except in the public bins, or their own bins at home. A serious change of attitude is needed. Every week rubbish (black bin bags) is dumped straight into our local river, and woodland. The park is full of used condoms, beer cans and empty snack boxes. We also have a terrible problem with vandalism to cars and houses. And no, I do not live in a rough area, it just seems to be the norm for Ireland now.

How do we change peoples attitude ?, it is embarrassing at times.

Last edited:

eskerman

A good way to stop dogs on the beach in areas where this is illegal would be to put up signs that poison had been laid and that dog owners should be aware of this!!!!
Not long ago I asked a dog owner to pick up his dogs excrement as I often saw children playing in the area where it had just done it and I was told to F--- off back to England and that this was Ireland.
If you have children playing on a beach a dog turd is a lot more troublesome than an ice cream wrapper. Dog owners who break the law day in day out are
as anti-social as day trippers leaving rubbish once a year.
I have rarely heard anything from elected members of local authorities about enforcing the many laws that are already in existence on the one thing that is the responsibility of local authorities.
All about junkets and expenses really and I will be voting with this in mind tomorrow.
I understand your sentiments and I agree with your comments. We have a serious problem with lack of basic controls of public place laws, I think Ireland in its populated areas is filthy, we have a serious public order offences issue and our lack of controls on the many poor animals who are roaming our streets is criminal. I agree many dog owners dont care about where the animal deficates, once its not in the owners back garden. I have seen this on the beaches and these are places I seldom visit because of all the reasons you have mentioned. I would only visit beaches on our north western coastal areas as they are in the main well kept and less populated by drunkin cretins who are a scourge to our society

LitterHater

You are expecting far too much there from our society. Where I live people spend most of the time taking the rubbish in the other direction. They dump it everywhere except in the public bins, or their own bins at home. A serious change of attitude is needed. Every week rubbish (black bin bags) is dumped straight into our local river, and woodland. The park is full of used condoms, beer cans and empty snack boxes. We also have a terrible problem with vandalism to cars and houses. And no, I do not live in a rough area, it just seems to be the norm for Ireland now.

We have to make it so difficult for them to keep doing this that they stop. Make it unacceptable: remember how people used to light up in non-smoking areas in cafes? Eventually, the glares and comments sent them packing to the smoking section. People have to stop looking the other way. It's awkward to speak up and have someone spit profanity at you, but it's the only way to make a sea change in this behaviour. We can impose fines and patrols which would be great, but good luck holding your breath for that to happen. We have to act as individuals.

MsAnneThrope

By hitting their pockets. It's that simple. Nothing will work better than taking hard cash from them. Not ASBO's or suspended jail sentences or naming & shaming them. Money, dosh, readies, whatever you want to call it is the only thing they'll understand. Enforce the law and issue the fines. Starting now. The councils will even make money from it. Imagine that.

orbit

I understand your sentiments and I agree with your comments. We have a serious problem with lack of basic controls of public place laws, I think Ireland in its populated areas is filthy, we have a serious public order offences issue and our lack of controls on the many poor animals who are roaming our streets is criminal. I agree many dog owners dont care about where the animal deficates, once its not in the owners back garden. I have seen this on the beaches and these are places I seldom visit because of all the reasons you have mentioned. I would only visit beaches on our north western coastal areas as they are in the main well kept and less populated by drunkin cretins who are a scourge to our society
I think it is mainly a difference in scale, with the problem being bigger in Dublin because the numbers are so much greater. I was on a beach down the West on a bank holiday a couple years ago. There were a group of lads drinking beside us, and one of them just got up and urinated hardly 30 feet from where we were sitting. My wife was livid and remonstrated with him. The guy didn't even know what she was talking about at first. It's just a complete lack of respect for other people. You can do pretty much what you like in this country, and expect to get away with it.

eskerman

I think it is mainly a difference in scale, with the problem being bigger in Dublin because the numbers are so much greater. I was on a beach down the West on a bank holiday a couple years ago. There were a group of lads drinking beside us, and one of them just got up and urinated hardly 30 feet from where we were sitting. My wife was livid and remonstrated with him. The guy didn't even know what she was talking about at first. It's just a complete lack of respect for other people. You can do pretty much what you like in this country, and expect to get away with it.
Sad to say I agree with you...yes its everywhere but populated centres close to beaches are breeding grounds for this type of unacceptable behaviour. It also sets so much bad example to many other children who witness this stuff. Your point about getting away with anything in this country is also true...look at the mess we have on our public finances and banks...there are so many so called professionals who have committed criminal offences against this country and have walked away with fat pensions and golden handshakes...sorry I have drifted off the topic slightly

LitterHater

This may sound very old-fashioned but there is value in having a sense of community. In the small towns that do well in the Tidy Towns competitions, there is a sense of ownership. Most people feel more vested in the community than not and are willing to take some responsibility for how the town looks. In bigger communities (and smaller ones where there has been a huge influx of residents over the past decade), that sense of community just isn't there. I think everything stems from a sense of pride and how one wants to present oneself, and by extension the community.
As Eskerman wrote above, Irish people seem to be content to accept such low standards in every area of life. We call Joe Duffy and *************************, but we don't really do anything about it.

orbit

We have to make it so difficult for them to keep doing this that they stop. Make it unacceptable: remember how people used to light up in non-smoking areas in cafes? Eventually, the glares and comments sent them packing to the smoking section. People have to stop looking the other way. It's awkward to speak up and have someone spit profanity at you, but it's the only way to make a sea change in this behaviour. We can impose fines and patrols which would be great, but good luck holding your breath for that to happen. We have to act as individuals.
I agree. If you challenge people in a non-confrontational way, you can get results.

Tommy Tayto

I agree. If you challenge people in a non-confrontational way, you can get results.
Hmm, it's a tricky one. I know that a lot of the people littering in my neck of the woods wouldn't exactly be model citizens. (Not to say decent people don't litter too.) Trying to point out the error of someone's ways may well result in a smack in the mouth for your troubles...

MsAnneThrope

Hmm, it's a tricky one. I know that a lot of the people littering in my neck of the woods wouldn't exactly be model citizens. (Not to say decent people don't litter too.) Trying to point out the error of someone's ways may well result in a smack in the mouth for your troubles...
If you're not comfortable confronting them then report them instead. The call will be taken in 100% confidence. You don't have to identify yourself. Letting them just get away with it is by far the worst course of action to take.

ShoutingIsLeadership

How depressing.

What an ignorant people we are.
Just back from Bray Promenade. Rubbish everywhere. Stacked high beside and on top over-flowing bins.

Why do people do this? What goes through their heads?

And why oh why, on the hottest day of the year, in the middle of its much publicised summer festival, in the days ahead of the airshow, could the council not have organised a few waste collectors? (not that people should make the mess in the first place).

Wasn't this a justification for the property tax?

Finally, to the visitors to Bray: you're very welcome, but please bring your rubbish home.

asset test

How depressing.

What an ignorant people we are.
Just back from Bray Promenade. Rubbish everywhere. Stacked high beside and on top over-flowing bins.

Why do people do this? What goes through their heads?

And why oh why, on the hottest day of the year, in the middle of its much publicised summer festival, in the days ahead of the airshow, could the council not have organised a few waste collectors? (not that people should make the mess in the first place).

Wasn't this a justification for the property tax?

Finally, to the visitors to Bray: you're very welcome, but please bring your rubbish home.
Killiney and Dalkey are your only men. Never see a speck of rubbish along the Vico now!

Maybe Bono goes out every day and does a clean up or something.

Anyway, Bray and other seaside places are just dirt gathering cesspits. You see the riff raff can get there easily on the DORT, and feck their rubbish anywhere they like, sure that's what we pay our taxes for and feck the lot of them!

But seriously, if the Council, in the Summer will not clear the bins a few times a day, well what do people do? OK to take small bits back with you, but smelly bags of chips and vinegar, and baby nappies and the like? I dunno, maybe we are just scruffy horrible people.

Our parents would kill us for leaving anything behind. It went into your pocket or your bag, or else... in the days before corporal punishment was abolished, you can guess the rest. It has gone down through the generations, and we are not hemp wearing vegan hippies either, just ordinary.

hammer

There is still a mentality out there that "someone else gets paid to clear up after them"

Shower of filthy ***** and I especially dont like smokers and their butts :)

ShoutingIsLeadership

Killiney and Dalkey are your only men. Never see a speck of rubbish along the Vico now!

Anyway, Bray and other seaside places are just dirt gathering cesspits. You see the riff raff can get there easily on the DORT, and feck their rubbish anywhere they like, sure that's what we pay our taxes for and feck the lot of them!

But seriously, if the Council, in the Summer will not clear the bins a few times a day, well what do people do? OK to take small bits back with you, but smelly bags of chips and vinegar, and baby nappies and the like? I dunno, maybe we are just scruffy horrible people.

Our parents would kill us for leaving anything behind. It went into your pocket or your bag, or else... in the days before corporal punishment was abolished, you can guess the rest. It has gone down through the generations, and we are not hemp wearing vegan hippies either, just ordinary.

Just bring a bag. Littering is an offence. Is it really that difficult? Bray Prom is a wonderful asset and the council and volunteer summer festival committee have done fantastic work on it over the last few years. More popular than ever...but this really lets it all down

Extra

It's mostly not just kids though. I've see it all from nappies to disposable barbeques just left on the rocks on the seafront. No sense of community whatsoever. It's why I hate Ireland on a sunny hot day in the summer it brings out every scumbag in the city to the beaches ruining it for everyone.

ShoutingIsLeadership

It's mostly not just kids though. I've see it all from nappies to disposable barbeques just left on the rocks on the seafront. No sense of community whatsoever. It's why I hate Ireland on a sunny hot day in the summer it brings out every scumbag in the city to the beaches ruining it for everyone.
It covers all economic classes...plenty of well off people treating the place like an open-air skip

Extra

It covers all economic classes...plenty of well off people treating the place like an open-air skip
Eh I never said it didn't. You do realise there are plenty of scumbags in Foxrock, Donnybrook etc..

asset test

Just bring a bag. Littering is an offence. Is it really that difficult? Bray Prom is a wonderful asset and the council and volunteer summer festival committee have done fantastic work on it over the last few years. More popular than ever...but this really lets it all down
It's all down to respect for your surroundings. Sadly that is largely gone now. The Council will do it, or they should, that's what I pay my taxes for la la la.

I'm with you 100%, bring a bag, bring it home, but no. It's always someone else's job. Very sad, and little civic pride much anymore. I say that because I know most people will NOT litter.

Enforcement or collect the bins.

Bray is such a wonderful place. I'm sorry that your hard work is just thrown back in your face. But there is no accounting for scumbags or others with no civic pride or respect. That's the reality in EVERY seaside place really, these days, and I don't know what the solution is anymore. Kids at school are taught all about litter and the environment so it must be the older kids or the parents. I dunno.

Popular Threads

Most Replies