Dis is Limerick City ...

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
I watched this program. The main point I took from it was the complete absence of will to solve the problems.
Exactly. Knocking down run-down estates isn't the answer and that's the only thing that'sbeen done so far. Limerick needs a special task forece once that will give the city proper boundaries, make sure that basic facilities are in place. For example there isn't a single cinema screen in Limerick city.

Job creation and training have to be the top priorities and we need to take children into care if they are being allowed to roam the streets at night.

Northtipp

Exactly. Knocking down run-down estates isn't the answer and that's the only thing that'sbeen done so far. Limerick needs a special task forece once that will give the city proper boundaries, make sure that basic facilities are in place. For example there isn't a single cinema screen in Limerick city.
Job creation and training have to be the top priorities and we need to take children into care if they are being allowed to roam the streets at night.
There are two multiplex's. Storm and Crescent. But anyway other than that, fair point

G

Gimpanzee

While undoubtedly there is a complete breakdown of the social norms in some parts of Limerick exacerbated by the ghettoising of areas like Southhill and Moyross, a similar programme could have been made in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Waterford or any large conurbation in Ireland.
Limerick Lad, honestly, you could not have made that program in Galway, and I'm not sure about Cork either. Take a look around Ballybane, Westside/Rahoon or Ballinfoyle or anywhere on Google streetview and see if you can find anything remotely similar. You'd be hard pressed to find a single derelict house. Its far from paradise, and there would be plenty anti-social behaviour (albeit on a milder scale) but it is a world away from the likes of Keyes Park.

owedtojoy

Limerick's problems are indeed difficult, but they are not unique. Cork had bad social problems and gang crime in the 1990s but the Flynn clann and their rivals burned themselves out, either by killing each other or landing in prison. Effective policing year's ago could have stopped the problems in Limerick from spiralling out of control but instead local authorities and politicians decided to sit down with the thugs and work out deals. We all remember Willie O'Dea acting as a negotiator between the rival families - what does that say? Responsible politician or part of the problem - you judge!

The problems in Limerick are intense because petty criminals became involved in drug distribution and hit the big time. They squeezed out gangs in other provincial cities and the drug trade in Munster shifted from Cork to Limerick in the early 2000s. The same thing is happening in West Dublin. Of course nobody really cares because this is ghetto crime, and some of the leading members of our society have no compunction about creating a market for these guys by taking a line of coke. The next thing the Dundons will be respectable and invited to the President's Garden Parties with every other nutjob ex paramilitary from Belfast - they might be able to make a few contacts.
I listened to a talk radio show recently when someone suggested "You should have drug marches on the dealers' houses like in the 1980s".

The reply was "They would just wait for us to go home, then pick us off one by one, or kill our kids".

Who's up for a march down to Fat John McCarthy's house to tell him to leave the kids alone?

You could not watch the despair of the honest, decent couple weeping with anger and frustration without feeling ashamed. Someone should tell Demrot Ahern to pass a law, quick.

There are ways to tackle gangs and juvenile delinquincy, but there is no political will to do anything except bail out rich bankers.

im axeled

considering that it cost 1.29m to build a halting site with 6 yes bays has to haise some questions, a guy was hired without the proper qualifications, what did they do, they sent him to ul to get the necessary degree, if you find this hard to believe take a decco at the limerick city thread on boards.ie.

MaceFace

Two words: ZERO TOLERANCE
Five more: THREE STRIKES AND YOUR OUT

Firstly, take the people committing crime who are unwilling or unable to follow the law, and lock them up for the maximum term possible under the law. None of this boys will be boys or concurrent sentences.

Secondly, get those that there is a hope of saving and drown them in social welfare programs and education. If they are beyond hope, let the jails take care of them.

Thirdly, those that are genuine normal people who want nothing to do with this behaviour - get them to set up the local projects to keep those that have not been exposed to crime away from the streets.

And get CAB in there to confiscate all proceeds of crime. Unless you can reasonably prove how you can afford a bullet proof car, it is confiscated.

Northtipp

Both are outside the city and not within the city limits.
1 Castletroy and 1 Dooradoyle. I see what you mean now though. You mean around Henry St or O'Connell St etc. Thats fair enough . as i say i agree with your general point anyhow

the agent

I watched the show last night and one thing stuck in my mind, the vast majority of the people interviewed were looking to blame someone else for their actions. some of the women tried to come across as victims, that their murdered sons were little angels and innocent of any wrong doing, these people were shot in the back of the head not because they were law abiding citizens but because they were involved in crime and their rivals murdered them. I did not hear one parent blame themselves for bad parenting, for allowing their child get involved in crime, for allowing them to drop out of school at 13, no they blamed the state, saying where is my new house, payed for by the taxpayer. Until we change this victim culture and start rewarding people for acting responsibily then we will be dealing with this issue for the next 50 years.

realistic1

The above is the solution. Regeneration has benefitted the landlord classes and developers so far by the residents being moved from local authority housing to private housing. It is a shame to see fine houses demolished.

Limerick Lad

Limerick Lad, honestly, you could not have made that program in Galway, and I'm not sure about Cork either. Take a look around Ballybane, Westside/Rahoon or Ballinfoyle or anywhere on Google streetview and see if you can find anything remotely similar. You'd be hard pressed to find a single derelict house. Its far from paradise, and there would be plenty anti-social behaviour (albeit on a milder scale) but it is a world away from the likes of Keyes Park.
Many of those derelict houses shown on Prime Time are as a direct result of "Regeneration" where residents have been moved out and their former homes allowed to go to rack and ruin while awaiting demolition as part of the regeneration project but without funding to implement the policy fully these monuments to yet another failed attempt at social engineering are left behind to blight the street scape furthering the feeling of despair and exclusion of those who have been left behind.

williewatch

I watched the Prime Time special on the regeneration areas.

I feel so sorry for the ordinary law abiding people just trying to get on with their lives.

I recognised one poor victim & know her to be a Willie O'Dea voter.

WTF ? She is going around cheer leading for O'Dea who is making euro 160,000 per year in salary & expenses (not to mention his pension), and a big figure in the government that let this fester while she is living in this s***. It defies logic.

He has represented Limerick for 28 years in the Dail, including 11 years at the cabinet table, during which time he was also a junior minister at the department of justice. Is he or any of the other politicians going to take responsibility for this horrible mess?

There was a big discussion about this program on local Limerick radio this morning, but there was no sign of O'Dea (at least while I was listening). Its about time that the local media started to ask O'Dea the hard questions as in ...."What the f*** have you being doing for the last 28 years while Limerick was going down the tubes?"

I suppose this article sums it up

Limerick's champion left people powerless

"So, what is it about Willie that makes him so extraordinarily successful in Limerick? Here we get to the heart of the paradox that is Fianna Fáil. It is not the success of Willie O’Dea’s advocacy for Limerick that makes the city so dependent on him. It is its failure. The relationship between the ultimate clientelist politician and his clients depends on the continuation of powerlessness. Instead of being punished for Limerick’s underdevelopment, O’Dea has thrived on it. The worse the city’s problems, the greater its need of a supposed champion."

Limerick's champion left people powerless - The Irish Times - Tue, Feb 23, 2010

Last edited:

Twin Towers

Two words: ZERO TOLERANCE
Five more: THREE STRIKES AND YOUR OUT

Firstly, take the people committing crime who are unwilling or unable to follow the law, and lock them up for the maximum term possible under the law. None of this boys will be boys or concurrent sentences.

Secondly, get those that there is a hope of saving and drown them in social welfare programs and education. If they are beyond hope, let the jails take care of them.

Thirdly, those that are genuine normal people who want nothing to do with this behaviour - get them to set up the local projects to keep those that have not been exposed to crime away from the streets.

And get CAB in there to confiscate all proceeds of crime. Unless you can reasonably prove how you can afford a bullet proof car, it is confiscated.
That is the way. You reduce the ringleaders to looking like crap in the eyes of those that look up to them. Same way as the Stocks used to work.

im axeled

I watched the Prime Time special on the regeneration areas.

I feel so sorry for the ordinary law abiding people just trying to get on with their lives.

I recognised one poor victim & know her to be a Willie O'Dea voter.

WTF ? She is going around cheer leading for O'Dea who is making euro 160,000 per year in salary & expenses (not to mention his pension), and a big figure in the government that let this fester while she is living in this s***. It defies logic.

He has represented Limerick for 28 years in the Dail, including 11 years at the cabinet table, during which time he was also a junior minister at the department of justice. Is he or any of the other politicians going to take responsibility for this horrible mess?

There was a big discussion about this program on local Limerick radio this morning, but there was no sign of O'Dea (at least while I was listening). Its about time that the local media started to ask O'Dea the hard questions as in ...."What the f*** have you being doing for the last 28 years while Limerick was going down the tubes?"

I suppose this article sums it up

Limerick's champion left people powerless

"So, what is it about Willie that makes him so extraordinarily successful in Limerick? Here we get to the heart of the paradox that is Fianna Fáil. It is not the success of Willie O’Dea’s advocacy for Limerick that makes the city so dependent on him. It is its failure. The relationship between the ultimate clientelist politician and his clients depends on the continuation of powerlessness. Instead of being punished for Limerick’s underdevelopment, O’Dea has thrived on it. The worse the city’s problems, the greater its need of a supposed champion."

Limerick's champion left people powerless - The Irish Times - Tue, Feb 23, 2010

any one on welfare in limerick city and county cannot access entitlements without consulting a ff td, regardless of whether they are entitled to them, which is the reason politicins have trived under the above conditions

ClareGael

Prime time tonight provided a depressing glimpse into the ghettos of Limerick . For me , the most shocking thing was the 'surrender' by the head honcho of regeneration , Brendan Kenny . He reckons anyone over 5 years old is doomed .
I think the man should resign in the morning .
Comments/views anyone ?
I read the first two comments on this thread and am getting seriously worried about the MORONS that visit this site. The programme was tabloid trash. They cut and pasted the whole programme to suit an agenda of a city on the brink. They spoke to Moyross primary and the local drop in centre and when they told them that the regeneration had improved the situation greatly, number of kids leaving school had declined, more young kids were playing soccer, rugby, hurling and football they didnt want to hear anymore and never came back. Instead they gave airtime to some of the worst people remaining. Complete and utter junk from Primetime. And Tonybird you should get off the tabloid junket you idiot.

Dohville

A garda station up in Moyross would be a start to protect the majority of innocent people living up there. .
Mayorstone Garda station backs onto moyross. How close does it need to be?
No point having another garda station when the government are reducing garda numbers.
In time it would merely become another empty building, a focal point for further acts of vandalism.

PatsyOriel

Yes the programme was interesting. Telling us that it was not safe in certain parts to attempt any improvements yet due to vandalism.

Lets get real here folks it not all the Gov and related agenies fault if we have people as young as four walking around bating things with a golf club.

The guy with armoured plated windows mercedes. Where did he get the money from please explain from saving up on his social benefits
Pure ************************************************te here please enuff

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies