Dis is Limerick City ...

d7bohs

You obviously don't regularly visit the inner city ghettos of the North inner city of Dublin very often: Buckingham Street, Sommerville and the surrounding slums. .
I grew up round the corner from Summerhill (which I presume is what you mean by 'Sommerville') and Buckingham Street, and still walk through the area most days. My user name might be clue as to where I live BTW.

I remember Summerhill back in the 70s/ 80s, and it was pretty grim, but the sheer fact of it being in the middle of a capital city, with better resources, and greater opportunities - and politicians (one in particular) who worked honestly to improve the lot of people, meant things could, and did, improve. Part of the problem with Moyross, South hill is their relative isolation from the city, and the lack of any coherent political representation of the people there.

Dohville

Part of the problem with Moyross, South hill is their relative isolation from the city, and the lack of any coherent political representation of the people there.
Sinn Fein represent them well.

ellie08

Mayorstone Garda station backs onto moyross. How close does it need to be?
No point having another garda station when the government are reducing garda numbers.
In time it would merely become another empty building, a focal point for further acts of vandalism.
Close it an move it into Moyross and have a bigger station. i'm sure the residents of Mayorstone wouldn't mind. There needs to be a garda presence up there.

ellie08

any one on welfare in limerick city and county cannot access entitlements without consulting a ff td, regardless of whether they are entitled to them, which is the reason politicins have trived under the above conditions
Rubbish. That's what the social welfare office is for and the Citizens Advice bureau. He should run anyone asking to fill out social welfare forms for them. That's not his job.

dustin

The goverment have no problem flooding Leinster house with gardai,and yet leave these estate's to fluster with criminal elements,As bad as people say parts of Dublin are,that type of carryon would not be accepted by people living in parts of Dublin.

d7bohs

Funny, as I was writing the previous post, I was mentally comparing NIC Dublin now, with the Falls, and the area represented - in two parliaments - by the SF leader wasn't coming off well .....

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
They don't. SF barely got 4% in the last local elections in the ward that includes Southill.

The original point is well made. These estates were thrown up in the 1970s and people left to their own devices. They are badly served by public transport.

I'm not making excuses. There is a scumbag element at play here that need to be tackled with a "zero tolerance" policy and prisons need to turned into places of punishment, not a holiday camp.

Dohville

Close it an move it into Moyross and have a bigger station. i'm sure the residents of Mayorstone wouldn't mind. There needs to be a garda presence up there.
And who would you put in this larger station? And what about the rest of the North City and county?

CptSternn

With the new budget cutting Gardai, don't expect any movement on this anytime soon.

williewatch

They don't. SF barely got 4% in the last local elections in the ward that includes Southill.
Did they not have a councillor elected in the ward that includes Moyross in the last local election?

Last edited:
S

SeamusNapoleon

Funny, as I was writing the previous post, I was mentally comparing NIC Dublin now, with the Falls, and the area represented - in two parliaments - by the SF leader wasn't coming off well .....
Sinn Féin are to blame..?

realistic1

The original point is well made. These estates were thrown up in the 1970s and people left to their own devices. They are badly served by public transport.

I'm not making excuses. There is a scumbag element at play here that need to be tackled with a "zero tolerance" policy and prisons need to turned into places of punishment, not a holiday camp.

While you have a good point with "zero tolerance" our State will not implement this because these scumbags are keeping Barristers, solicitors, social workers etc in good jobs. Gardai get handy overtime chasing after moronic youngfellows that are potrayed by tabloids as criminal Godfathers and criminal masterminds. If the State really wanted to change these areas they could but there is too many vested interests stopping the real change.

incredulous101

There is a scumbag element at play here that need to be tackled with a "zero tolerance" policy and prisons need to turned into places of punishment, not a holiday camp.
I find it stunning that even members of the criminal underclass buy the tabloid claptrap about prisons being holiday camps and repeat it on television. You should go to prison for your holidays - perhaps it would give you time to think.

Last edited:

ellie08

And who would you put in this larger station? And what about the rest of the North City and county?
Bigger or smaller, there should be one up there. I would presume you'd put guards in it :D It would only be moved a mile and garda presence is required up there. It was spoken of before, but I'd say the guards wouldn't like to be up there.

d7bohs

Sinn Féin are to blame..?

No, but you'll find more than a few people in West Belfast who will question why the area remains so deprived after so much public money going into projects in the area, all administered by friends of Gerry.

Socratus O' Pericles

You heard wrong. Social workers are very well paid indeed. Have a look at page 15 of the link attached.

Document download centre

The problem is that the issues in Limerick have gone well beyond the capacity of social workers. There is complete societal breakdown in parts of Limerick. It is difficult to see a solution apart from Gardai completely swamping the area for the next 10 years.
51,680 after 16 years service--massive money altogether for a job that requires a degree and a post graduate qualification

Limerick Lad

Did they not have a councillor elected in the ward that includes Moyross in the last local election?
Maurice Quinlivan was elected in 2007 as a SF councillor in the North Limerick Ward which includes Ballynanty Beg, Thomondgate, Moyross, Caherdavin, Old Cratloe Road, Kileely, Farranshone, Mayorstone, Clareview, NCR, Coonagh and The Strands, he recieved 888 votes, 10.58%.

S

SeamusNapoleon

No, but you'll find more than a few people in West Belfast who will question why the area remains so deprived after so much public money going into projects in the area, all administered by friends of Gerry.
I don't understand.

How does your above statement not equate with Sinn Féin being to blame for social deprivation?

harryshounds

a really depressing programme. i wouldnt stay there with my family tbh.
that 'fat john mccarthy' he was caught recently with heroin if i recall. there must be empty estates in limerick where the council could move the decent families too and get them away from moyross etc....until they can sort it out.
i dont think anywhere here in dublin was ever as bad as them estates.

Tea Party Patriot

Irish solution to an Irish problem - build thugs new houses and they'll turn good.
Agreed, that is not working either, some of the formerly quite villages in the Limerick City area are now no go areas because in their wisdom they decided to relocate some of these thugs to them.

We need serious 25 year + sentences for anyone involved in organised crime. We also need our constitution changed so that prisoners are no longer "in the care of the state" but that it is the responsibility of the state to "suitably punish them".

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies