• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Disability recipients surged 37.7% since 2006

Eric Cartman

Mystery of massive rise in those quitting workforce on disability - Independent.ie

Thoughtful article by McWilliams on disability figures.

OVER the past few years an extraordinary development has occurred in Ireland, which has gone broadly unnoticed. Tens of thousands of people have left the labour force due to disability. This has occurred despite the fact that the workforce, in general, has become younger and healthier on most measures and despite the fact that there have been significant positive steps towards reducing discrimination against disabled people in the workforce.
Yet, since 2006, there has been a 37.7pc increase in the number of people who have left the labour force citing a condition that substantially limits one or more basic physical activities.

This is not people who have been unfortunate enough to be born with a disability, but people who have developed a disabling condition. This means 55,000 people – bigger than Waterford, the country's fifth largest city. Between 2002 and 2006, the same figure only increased by 1pc which is less than 2,000 people.

So what has happened from 2006 to 2012 to cause 53,000 extra people to leave the labour force due to physical disability?

Meanwhile, the number of people leaving the labour force citing a psychological or emotional condition has risen even more dramatically – 88,000 people are now diagnosed with an emotional or psychological condition that is bad enough that they can't work. This is a 27,000 rise from the same figure in 2006.
The same phenomenon is noted in the UK.

Panorama: The Great Disability Scam (clip)
[video=youtube;Rok992I4v-M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rok992I4v-M[/video]

Similar in the US.

Clearly there has been a massive increase in the number of people taking advantage of government disability benefits in Western countries that mirror the rise in unemployment. It's time to more critically assess these cases. Naturally, someone will post how they injured themselves and now receive disability after years of gainful employment, but wish to work. Indeed. But there are many cases that are fake ("I injured my back! I can't work!") and a large proportion are so-called psychological/emotional. I don't think that we can afford this anymore, let's tackle this issue. I would rather fakes exposed than cuts to carers' allowances i.e. lets dump the "bad backs" and "emotionally distressed" etc. and maintain (even, raise?) the benefits in genuine cases.

dresden8

There's a thread around here somewhere slagging off civil servants saying they're not letting people go onto social protection schemes.

Asparagus

can we just go back to poorhouses, orphanages and aristocratic ladies looking after the needy.

radical?

but just think over the next century we could go through the whole revolution and foundation of the welfare state all over again.

we'd do it right this time... honest.

APettigrew92

Back in my parents day, you either worked or you lived on the streets. This whole "My back" culture is preposterous, considering advances in modern medicine, labour laws and general all-round health.

This is one of those drawbacks of a social saftey net. For every genuine case, you have two or three whinos who would rather milk the State than contribute like their Fathers would have.

Lassie

Lets face it the logical conclusion of this particular 'feeler' is that euthanasia would be the 'kindest' option for the useless disabled particularly mental health, unless of course you are disabled wherein you might have a different opinion.

Flimflam

When you have a system that deems that night blindness is so debilitating that it precludes the possibility of someone being able to work for a living, even during daylight, why is anyone surprised?

Lassie

Like i said kill them off in if you dont like them.It's the preferred conclusion after a recession/depression. It's a feeler to check tolerance for this type of solution.
oops what happens if your child gets sick though in this scenario?

googolplex

Lets face it the logical conclusion of this particular 'feeler' is that euthanasia would be the 'kindest' option for the useless disabled particularly mental health, unless of course you are disabled wherein you might have a different opinion.
Well surely the most logical conclusion is that inclusion in the workforce is the most obvious option for those on disability. At the moment I believe that there is an option to work a certain amount of hours per week for therapeutic purposes with regard to some disabilities. There is a culture of inclusion in society and the workforce for those with disabilities from birth (both intellectual and physical), so why should we in some cases facilitate a complete opt out for those who only have a disability which precludes them from working in a particular field. All disabilities are inhibiting, but if we offer an opt out policy based just on your criteria to full-fill your previous role, it's a bit silly, don't you think?

Zerubbabel

Wages have been driven so low for a lot of people, its not worth their while working

Lassie

I take it ye are all medical doctors including the intrepid sindo /pravda hacks?
Of course unemployment is the unemployed person's fault? Now ill ness and disability are the ill/disabled person's fault?

Why not just open the extermination camp?

Get excited about off shore tax havens and dutch irish sandwiches!

I wonder when mcW got bribed . My guess is in DAVOS.

Eric Cartman

So, what's your disability?

Nobody said systematic murder, like the S.S. but I suppose you consider the State clamping down on bogus welfare fraud Nazi-like.

No, we can't afford paying tens of thousands of people who won't work and do not intend to, indefinitely. So sorry, move to Britain or something. The number is too large.

Lassie

Something for you to really moan about. Germany are not happy so Irish financial service are going to get hit bad.
lifting the curtain on the identities of those who keep their money offshore is likely to cause particular anger in austerity-blighted Europe, where governments have been telling people to tighten their belts but have mostly turned a blind eye to wealthier citizens who skirt taxes with help from so-called offshore financial centers.

and lifting the curtain on the identities of those who keep their money offshore is likely to cause particular anger in austerity-blighted Europe, where governments have been telling people to tighten their belts but have mostly turned a blind eye to wealthier citizens who skirt taxes with help from so-called offshore financial centers.

The leaked records, mainly from the British Virgin Islands, the Cook Islands and Singapore, disclose proprietary information about more than 120,000 offshore companies and trusts and nearly 130,000 individuals and agents, including the wealthiest people in more than 170 countries. Not all of those named necessarily have secret bank accounts, and in some cases only conducted business through companies they control that are registered offshore.
Robert Palmer, a policy adviser for Global Witness, a London research group that focuses on corruption, said the naming of offshore account holders could have powerful political reverberations across Europe because “it shows that if you are wealthy and well connected you play by different rules.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/05/world/europe/vast-hidden-wealth-revealed-in-leaked-records.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0&hp

Last edited:

Lassie

So, what's your disability?

Nobody said systematic murder, like the S.S. but I suppose you consider the State clamping down on bogus welfare fraud Nazi-like.

No, we can't afford paying tens of thousands of people who won't work and do not intend to, indefinitely. So sorry, move to Britain or something. The number is too large.
Im not a nazi but..............

elliebee

Back in my parents day, you either worked or you lived on the streets. This whole "My back" culture is preposterous, considering advances in modern medicine, labour laws and general all-round health.

This is one of those drawbacks of a social saftey net. For every genuine case, you have two or three whinos who would rather milk the State than contribute like their Fathers would have.
So how do you explain nearly full employment before the crash? Do you think all the "whinos" were marched out to work at gunpoint or was it the case that there actually were jobs in Ireland for them?

Try working it out.

Eric Cartman

Something for you to really moan about. Germany are not happy so Irish financial service are going to get hit bad.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/05/world/europe/vast-hidden-wealth-revealed-in-leaked-records.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0&hp
I find this culture of dependence really irritating. What makes you think that the world owes you a living?

We (i.e., workers) pay P.R.S.I., which was originally intended as a form of insurance. Pay contributions, receive benefits when required under some stipulations, i.e. need. The trouble is: many people earn so little, they have been exempted P.R.S.I. and P.A.Y.E., are out of the tax net. Or, have made contributions but will likely receive benefits to an amount far exceeding the P.R.S.I. payments made. (Or income tax, for that matter. Or VAT).

These disability folk, genuine or otherwise receive payments seemingly indefinitely in some cases, which will far exceed whatever contribution made to the State.

So, someone else has to pay for them. Lassie wants "the rich" to look after him/herself. But, the ultra-rich are adept at moving wealth, so it looks like it will probably be me. That sucks. Even if Lassie and friends could soak the rich in taxes, I find it troubling that people could consider it justifiable leeching off other people, often hard working and innovative, successful people. You will always point towards the "developers" and such like, but I can show you the software developers. What do they owe you?

Eric Cartman

So how do you explain nearly full employment before the crash? Do you think all the "whinos" were marched out to work at gunpoint or was it the case that there actually were jobs in Ireland for them?

Try working it out.
Yeah, but making up a fake disability claim to score some government benefits is not on. That's my money, we are borrowing money from the Troika to pay them and my children will have to pay this sum off. Our deficit (including welfare) has ramped up debts of €94bn, whereas the net bank bailout debt is €60.5bn. Our total State debt is €195bn. We are borrowing Troika money to pay off scam artists. Not too cool.

Try working that out.

Lassie

I'm not racist, but . . .followed by something extremely racist and/or bigoted. Why do people say this? To cover their ass and make it look like they're not the budding neo-nazis that they really are? They say it as if they're so enlightened and open-minded that it's impossible for them to say anything offensive to anyone. It's almost as if they think it doesn't matter how racist they really are, they're off the hook if they prefix every prejudiced and ignorant remark with "I'm not racist." What's with racism anyway? I'm sick and tired of hearing people bitch about not having enough jobs, welfare, wax paper, dog food, whatever. It's nobody's fault but your own.
Urban Dictionary: i'm not racist, but . ..

elliebee

I find this culture of dependence really irritating. What makes you think that the world owes you a living?

We (i.e., workers) pay P.R.S.I., which was originally intended as a form of insurance. Pay contributions, receive benefits when required under some stipulations, i.e. need. The trouble is: many people earn so little, they have been exempted P.R.S.I. and P.A.Y.E., are out of the tax net. Or, have made contributions but will likely receive benefits to an amount far exceeding the P.R.S.I. payments made. (Or income tax, for that matter. Or VAT).

These disability folk, genuine or otherwise receive payments seemingly indefinitely in some cases, which will far exceed whatever contribution made to the State.

So, someone else has to pay for them. Lassie wants "the rich" to look after him/herself. But, the ultra-rich are adept at moving wealth, so it looks like it will probably be me. That sucks. Even if Lassie and friends could soak the rich in taxes, I find it troubling that people could consider it justifiable leeching off other people, often hard working and innovative, successful people. You will always point towards the "developers" and such like, but I can show you the software developers. What do they owe you?
It looks to me that short working weeks are with the blessing of the government. They can claim 3 people in work instead of 1. The employer pays no PRSI on lower salaries either so they get the 3 PRSI free. But hey turn a blind eye to the state and the employer and throw the low paid worker to the wolves.