Discovering Ireland (Second Thread)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I'd say Mr Colgan is well tucked up in the arms of Orpheus and likely to remain there for the foreseeable future... :)

Maurice, when you do eventually surface, a knotty philosophical question for you. What music do you play to your plants in the greenhouse. For there is almost certainly such a thing on the Colgan spread.

Do the aul' segocias get a lot of 'Viva Las Vegas' by Mr Elvis?

Emily Davison

Dragon's Den, Gavin Duffy retweeted my 8 hour candle cooker. :)

I have another idea for such a heater. Will be back about the item when I try it out.
:)
Did you put the meat and potatoes together in a casserole on top of the stove, surely there wouldn’t be enough heat, maybe you put them directly on top of the candles in a stove. You must have added some liquid?

You should get a young lad to bring in fuel to the house once a week so you don’t have to risk getting chilled yourself.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
From what I've observed of a slow-cooker I bought last year a very low modest heat can build up to cooking temperatures surprisingly well.

If you go to Indian restaurants there is quite often a low tray with lit candles in it to keep a side dish or breads warm and you have to watch it with your hand as you can burn yourself on it easily enough. The metal gets very hot even from a carefully placed low candle so I can see what Maurice is operating on but I think from the photo there's a suggestion that the candle power is in close proximity to the cooking vessel which would make it efficient and do-able.

Over a long enough time period you can cook a meal just on warmth from certain ground conditions. Saw that displayed on some cookery related programme once and it was amazing.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Good use of what used to be called 'votive candles' but are now 'tea-lights' I gather these days, in a clever strategic move put together by our crack cadre of intelligence experts on Secret Atheist Island HQ on Inis Eirceann in Roaringwater Bay off Baltimore in Cork.

Colonel Colgan there is a clever dog, we all agree back at HQ gathered by the fire in the Jolly Roger.

But I've said too much.

If Colonal Co- if Maurice's plan works there won't be a votive candle left out in a church by Christmas this year and we calculate at least thirty four of them would have to file for bankruptcy.

You would not be up to the finely tuned machinations of our very own Minister for Chaos there. Would. Not. Be. Up. To. Him.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
clunky attempt to get back on subject; If you are going to Discover Ireland at all then you wouldn't go too far wrong by visiting Baltimore and the islands of West Cork.

Thoroughly recommended, particularly in early or late summer. And I'm not even of Corkeroonian birth but much more of that Monaco of the south-east, Wexford town so that's saying something.

Emily Davison

Lumpy I see now I should have zoomed into the picture. Maurice put his dinner into a heaveycast black casserole, on top of two bricks inside the stove. Originally I thought the candles were inside a black stove. It’s very innovative and cosy. Very handy to know that in case of an outage. Being inside the stove would concentrate the heat more. I love candies. I lit a few in a lovely church in Fethard the day before yesterday. One was for my atheist mother who was always lighting candles. Her gravestone went up this week and I was asked to go see it yesterday but I couldn’t as I’m stuck where I am in Tipp until Monday for which reason I lit a different candle (nothing life or death but important none the less - which is why I’m the internet a lots these last few days).

They sent me a picture of the headstone and it’s lovely and simple. Of Italian marble and my dead sister now has her headstone after fourty years. I’ll send my father a picture of it too as his name will go third on it. He asked me a couple of years ago if we kids would allow him to be buried there. Otherwise he told me where he wanted to go. He’s forgotten totally that he owns the plot. So I’d best ask him to transfer that to us in his will. Found out yesterday that five can go in an Irish grave. As my mother was cremated we've four spots left.

No doubt Maurice has all his own arrangements in place to be with his beloved Maureen.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Best of luck with it Emily and sorry for your losses. I think you are right that Maurice's simple slow-cooker is a nice idea and given the price of candles on the market staying the same it is perfectly practical in terms of a power outage.

Emily Davison

Losses are long over. I was just reminiscing as events bring back memories.

Speaking of prices, candles in the church in Fethard are only 30 cent compared to a Euro most everywhere I’ve been. So along with my eldest we lit more than one each. The nuns have a lovely convent at the back of the church, with their own door in the wall, we had a peep at their perfect garden. Inside the church there were magnificent displays of fresh flowers.

RetiredProvo

I am surprised that some in the PC brigade have not yet objected to the chapel at Dublin Airport, which shows that this is still a Christian majority country.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Thank you, Emily and, Lumpy. I am up to my neck in being famous. See: Elvis fan's dream museum full of memorabilia opening in Dublin house

The music for my plants would be Mozart's 21st piano concerto's second movement. Played at Maureen's cremation.

The candles cook my dinner every day and the stove adds a little heat to the room as well. The water actually boils in the saucepan. Boils my hardboiled eggs for breakfast too.

A million clicks on the link above would be helpful. Might get the King into Swords castle. :)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Losses are long over. I was just reminiscing as events bring back memories.

Speaking of prices, candles in the church in Fethard are only 30 cent compared to a Euro most everywhere I’ve been. So along with my eldest we lit more than one each. The nuns have a lovely convent at the back of the church, with their own door in the wall, we had a peep at their perfect garden. Inside the church there were magnificent displays of fresh flowers.
Looks like there maybe a bit of a market. Load up in Fethard and sell them in Cork, Galway and Dublin for 90 cents. The marketing takes care of itself.

'A miracle! Only 90 cents!'

You'd take the arse out of the urban votive candle market.

Emily Davison

I am surprised that some in the PC brigade have not yet objected to the chapel at Dublin Airport, which shows that this is still a Christian majority country.

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-15 at 16.07.10.jpeg
Have you an actual point. That church is hard to find, it’s out where the buses are. Presumable passengers needing a quiet prayer time like it, plus a lot of bodies (dead) transit. I’m sure there’s somewhere else for those not Catholic etc. Perfectly normal in large airports and hospitals etc.
Why would anyone object.

ergo2

Hi Maurice
Are you home from Thailand?
Hope you can keep in touch with Tai? Lovely girl.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
'T'would make you want to announce an Elvis comeback tour just to see what would happen on this thread.

I'd say it would be like Sidney Harbour Bridge at midnight on New Year's Eve only miles better.

I will not be idle. Harnessing the great good will of the Irish people in asking this question I did hear that a lovely spot in Ireland called 'Johnstown Castle' in Wexford had been co-opted, purloined and rejigged as a government department.

I wonder what it did to deserve that. I remember it well and the lovely avenue of trees leading up to it.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Thank you, Lumpy :) And ergo2. Yes I am home in Ireland and still in touch with Tai.

[COLOR=rgba(20, 23, 26, 1)]The RTE1 Radio documentary was broadcast in May 1998. It covers notes we received from Graceland back in 1961. One signed, 'Sincerely, Elvis Presley'. The complete account is featured in the Elvis Presley Story Museum, in Swords, Ireland.

Fresh Elvis stories are always News.[/COLOR]

IMG_1324 (2).JPG

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies