Discovering Ireland (Second Thread)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The ideal thing Maurice might be to propose that the Elvis Museum be re-housed within Newgrange.

The locals might be surprised at the new exhibit but we'd stand a good chance of convincing the Americans and that's the main thing.

'The Original Home of Elvis in the Old Country'. Heh.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
The Irish Elvis STORY Museum continues to grow in my little modest one bedroom bungalow.
A guy in the Netherlands has a fine looking Elvis Museum which is inspiring me to continue no matter the expense. All I need is backing from a Dragonlike investor with imagination to put Swords well and truly on the Culture map. Are you listening Gavin Duffy?

Maureen Colgan 1941-2015 (R.I.P.) At Graceland, Memphis, and inside Elvis's first house, in a public estate where his fans roamed the lawn and peeped through the windows of his home. They were welcome!
IMG_1546 (2).JPG :)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
All those hound-like parents demanding that their small children sing at get-togethers, convinced that little Torquil or Shushunna is going to be the next Elvis... and of course by implication there would be a Graceland to hang around in when visiting said son or daughter.

You would not be up to them.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
jayze, this happened only about six years ago, some house I was at for dinner, another guest had brought her awful little brat along and insisted upon the child treating us all to some kind of morbid song.

One of those evenings relieved by the stroll home and warm thoughts of a child-free existence. luckily there was an Italian lady in the house who had home-cooked for us.

I suppose fair exchange is no robbery. Italian home-cooking like Mamma make, in exchange for a three minute assault on the senses by a child destined at some stage to end in a river. If there is any justice.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Ha Ha, Lumpy. How quaint.

Both our children, boy and girl became classical musicians on violin and piano.
Our daughter now teaches piano and music theory at a prestigious school in Lancashire U.K.

I was known to warble a few Elvis classics in public after a pint or two. Without a shred of Italian food passing my upturned top lip. :) Nowadays I whistle a Mozart piano Concerto...the very famous 21st.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The musicianship in the family is to be lauded Maurice and the explanation could be offered that perhaps they found the best possible way to drown out the Da's fourth rendition of 'Are You Lonesome Tonight' each evening :)

'tis a phrase I have often heard in variations. 'They sought solace in music'.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Could make for an interesting study in epigenetics. Three generations of the same family with characteristics inherited over a short time-span. There's money to be made here, Maurice with the medical research sector throwing great lumps of cash at us (I usually invoice 15% on such work but we can talk later) the family would be farting through silk.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Four generations! Lumpy. My mother collected Elvis Albums AND my Mother-in-Law. I inherited said discs. Now part of the Elvis Presley STORY Museum here in Swords Ireland.
Literary correspondent of The Irish Times, Eileen Battersby (R.I.P.) did a nice piece An Irish Woman's Diary on her 'discovering' Elvis on her car radio and being captivated by his extraordinary voice at it's best. Search it out on google. Very well done. August 2002.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Say nothing about the mother and mother-in-law. They can discover the fourth generation later after the contracts are signed.

It could be a sort of reverse Sonnerkinder operation.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Today is the fourth Anniversary of the passing of my wife Maureen Colgan R.I.P.

Seen here with her Elvis at 13 idea, brought to creation by Dutch sculptor, Michiel Vandersommen, of North Carolina USA. The statuettes are on sale at Elvis's birthplace shop in Tupelo Mississippi.

It also features in the Elvis Presley STORY Museum here in Swords, Dublin, Ireland. Now open! 1568454701222.png

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies