Discovering Ireland (Second Thread)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
You are a brave man, Maurice, my old segocia. I should imagine a university man no stranger to Chapman's Homer such as yourself would have left a strategic space between the supine self and the oxters of those berry-bashin' birds.

You'd be back in the house in the evening for the Club Orange looking like you had measles.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Nice photo. Very tropical and I wonder will it spark off a bit of the old Gauguin in your own paintings.

CatullusV

Today is the fourth Anniversary of the passing of my wife Maureen Colgan R.I.P.

Seen here with her Elvis at 13 idea, brought to creation by Dutch sculptor, Michiel Vandersommen, of North Carolina USA. The statuettes are on sale at Elvis's birthplace shop in Tupelo Mississippi.

It also features in the Elvis Presley STORY Museum here in Swords, Dublin, Ireland. Now open! 1568454701222.png
Four years?

Time flies.

It shouldn't but it does.

This year the local authorities asked if would "wild" my garden. I did. The roses did beautifully on their own. Ok, they were tended by various insects, but they thrived.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Nice photo. Very tropical and I wonder will it spark off a bit of the old Gauguin in your own paintings.
Thanksamillion, Lumpy. Yes, I did have a Gauguin moment or two in Thailand that may appear on canvas in the near future.
The lovely blue skies here recently are making me homesick for that land of smiles.IMG_1616.JPG

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Aye, Maurice I'm sure we'd all love to be near the beach in Thailand now that we're facing the 'little death' of a year. But then when I was in hot countries for any length of time I found myself thinking strangely nostalgically about the softest of rain and the way the light changes by the second when you see it play across a valley in Der Motherland.

In Ireland's case far-away fields are in fact greener. Indisputably so.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
That is a very interesting painting. I love the figures and the way they are painted. Shades of Pauline Bewick in the hills. It is different somehow to a lot of other paintings Maurice has shown here.

Really like it.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It is a noticeable departure from your usual style, Maurice. I like your usual style but I like this also. It made me think of an Irish artist I hadn't thought of for decades, Pauline Bewick.

Her paintings were going for about two weeks of my wages way back and I hovered over the thought of buying one and chickened out because I'd have had hell at home for buying a painting for so much money back then.

Which was a pity in a way because the same paintings are selling for between 10,000 and 20,000 on the market these days last time I looked. I can see the Monet technique and Bewick was pretty famous in the end for her human figures and the representative way they were portrayed, rounded, smooth lines. I can see that in the hills behind your characters.

That depiction of the adult character in conversation with the young un is beautiful. There's a huge story in that for the painting, to my eye.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
IMG_1625 (2).JPG
A sea/landgull these days after polishing off all the brown bread crusts this morning outside my front window.
Thank you, Lumpy, very much appreciated. I have just been looking at Pauline Bewick's lovely work.

I could do you a 'Bewick' but everyone would know. :) Nice prices she gets!
I read the life of Monet last year a great guy by all accounts. Love his water lily paintings.

By the way, I sold the small Kingfisher painting for just 75 euros to a facebook friend in Germany. 1573814922273.png

The guy in the snow scene above is saying to the little girl, "Yes it is a sweet mountain, but too cold now to eat, and yes we are nearly there".

Last edited:

Emily Davison

Can't believe you sold it for 75 Euro. That's surely less than the cost of the canvas and paint never mind the work ! Can't believe it's already 4 years Maurice since Maureen passed. Clearly you're doing something right and an inspiration to the rest of us. I wouldn't tarry long in Dublin this winter if you can help it, seems to me it's going to be a very cold one. Not good for the ould bones.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Dicovering Ireland on a Honda CX500 May 1981 Was a great pleasure and a hair raising experience. We covered close to 2,000 miles that time. Mostly hugging the coast south via Wicklow Wexford, Waterford, Cork, then north via Kerry, Clare, Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Donegal, and back to Dublin, with many a diversion. :)
Two forty year old teenagers. IMG_1629 (2).JPG

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
That would have been the year I got busted on a 400Hawk doing 70 through a 30mph zone, Maurice. Five charges. Thought I was going to jail for sure:) Went in to court looking as much like a protestant on a horse as possible.

Told the judge the needle in the carburettor was sticking and I was speeding up and slowing down to try to unstick it. Got a baleful look and a warning not to be seen up in front of him again.

There wasn't much chance of that. He was a right ugly florid old bugger and one after all is something of a part-time aesthete. Obviously didn't share that info with him.

Anyhoo... there lies my criminal past. An open book.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Thanks Lumpy, sorry for the delay in replying. A lot on my mind.

I can just picture you in your tweeds and riding boot in court. :) I was only ever caught once speeding on a motorbike 1976 . Cop told me if I had looked in my mirrors once he would never have got to me. :) Never caught since, in cars either.

Variegated Holly tree I grew for years now owned by my friend and neighbour, Jack.

IMG_1630 (2).JPG

New Threads

Most Replies