Discovering Ireland (Second Thread)

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Hi Lumpy thanks for all the biographical details. I get it.

When I was 22 I was very fortunate to meet an author Robert Roberts 1578759463296.png at a further education night class teaching English and General studies. He had written "The Classic Slum" about a locality in Salford city not far from where I and my family lived for decades. (Salford is very adjacent to Manchester...often sharing the same streets)
The man got me into world literature that changed my life. I read hundreds of books in a few years and thousands by now. I know a huge amount of classical music recognising symphonies after hearing just a bar or two.

Our plants flourished to Beethoven and Elvis music alike. :) Very big year For Ludwig. Every year these days is a big year for Deadly Elvis. I have been extremely busy spreading the Elvis and Colgan videos on other forums, twitter and Facebook.

Norman Iles a Cambridge scholar and poet, also helped guide me towards wisdom and rational thinking. I have been very lucky as learned people recognise something in me that sparks their attention. My natural intelligence ( I say very modestly)
Two lecturers at Mississippi University Oxford MS invited Maureen and I to that city 1999 because of our Elvis stories. Dr Vernon Chadwick and Dr Colby Kullman, both friends on Facebook now.

Last edited:

Emily Davison

Yes Lumpy very impressive. The thesis had to be specially bound. And it wasn’t easy holding down a full time job, travelling over to Cambridge, with her own children at university at the same time etc. She used to work in an Irish institution that was very Catholic. As an atheist that was a fine line to thread. A side of Ireland that is still there but hidden somewhat, and diminishing.

Maurice, Larry Gogan, and Marian were on Bowman this morning. About music. Geldof was full of praise for Larry. (And Gay). Larry was the first to play I don’t like Monday’s. Very funny Larry was about Geldif’s persistence. And showing up in a yellow Rolls Royce to get on the radio. I love Larrys giggle. It’s very infectious. And good for the soul. I think that was the key to Larry.

“They didn’t suit you”. Always made me laugh. As you cringed to the callers cringe moment. Memories of my youth, yours too no doubt.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Wonder how many of us would admit to buying the Boomtown Rats' second album... Mondo Bongo. After Tonic for the Troops which is really a good album in my opinion, Bongo was a bit of a wandering let-down.

Geldof owes me a fiver.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Larry Gogan and Geldof were mad keen on Elvis Presley.
Emily I missed out on Larry Gogan being in England.

Was on Marian Finucanes radio show.talking about Elvis :) One day I may interest the media in my Beethoven side.IMG_1696 (2).JPG
From The Irish Times video about my Elvis memorabilia collection.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
If this keeps up you'll be like some kind of Hunter Thompson in Aspen when his magic became so popular with readers that Presidential candidates had to visit him in Colorado as an essential photo-op.

It'll be Taoisigh next. When you bear in mind that FFrs in particular make their leading candidate (in the days when they had such things) go into the Palace Bar in Fleet Street in the days coming up to the election. Or like the grin and bear it pols who had to run the gauntlet of the ladies of Moore Street, not overburdened or interested in diplomacy.

Woe betide you if the Moore Street ladies didn't approve of you as a candidate.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I've half a suspicion Commander Maurice there is angling for ermine. I'm being played by a Grand Master who has considerable influence in the media. Lord Maurice of Moore Street has a certain devilish raffishness to it, not to mention a spot of raffish devilishness into the bargain.

Commander Maurice, while you're on, do you mind if I ask you a horticulturalific question about plants?

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Go ahead plant your question, but Jayzus, Lumpy, I knew those Moore street lady's mothers and sold penny apples on the iron footbridge at Golden bridge which was always painted green. Like all Dublin buses should be with that Celtic emblem of my childhood when scutting from the back fender wearing away the soles of my shoes.
Blow me down the other day a bright RED Dublin Bus passed by my home causing me to think language not suitable for children.
Please can we be proud of our greenness that the tourist come to see on this Emerald isle.
The senator's husband John is employed by The Mail on Sunday and may do a feature on part of my Elvis collection after the election? Dream on Maurice. :)
IMG_1695 (2).JPG
Talking of politicians. This one moved on to private business having feathered his nest. Like all the rest. :)

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Psst. Why do American men do that thing where they have their middle initial specified and a 'Jr' after it. Always found that a bit strange. After all there is very little chance you'd confuse this Glenn L. McCullough Jr with Glenn L. McCullough Sr. So why not just say Glenn L. McCullough. Can't exactly be millions of 'em in the US phone book.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Agree with the Green buses notion, Maurice. I think all buses in Ireland should be green by dint of an amendment to the constitution. Why be coy? Why would you thrash around with your reds, which aren't native to Ireland, browns and blues. Why make things more complex than they need to be. And at least then if you get knocked over by one then the last thing you'll see is an Irish bus, plain and simple. It would be like being put down both nationally and sympathetically to your cultural background.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
True, Lumpy. We should all go Green. :)

All those inhibited American juniors and at pension age too. He was delighted to be quoted in an Irish newspaper. I actually spoke to him long distance from Swords to Tupelo Mississippi. Was in the Tupelo Mayor's office years later and low and behold there was a painting of the Cliffs of Moher on a wall there.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Sounds like a decent stick. Hope he doesn't get offended by my question about names in the US. It just never seemed to be the right situation to ask an American.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
He is long gone from the Mayor's office in Tupelo another 3 of them came and went.
One of them invited Maureen and I to Tupelo because of all the publicity I had generated for that city. Laid on cars and provided us with accommodation at The Mockingbird B&B. Driven in a Thunderbird no less. :)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Jayze. Like I said. A Grand Master. You've testicles everywhere. Fair play to you though you are no slouch at the old strategising. I'm getting a bit suspicious now.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Suspicious? Lumpy. Please elaborate for my peacefulness of minding.

Meanwhile this oldest pub in New York served us piping hot cottage pie May 2001 as the barman had us in stitches with his jibes at unwary customers.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I fear you may be an eminence gris, Commander Maurice. The ease with which you move among the meeja crowd makes me wonder whether you are some kind of dark House of Cards style machiavellian player.

A sort of Dominic Cummings in Swords. :)

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
I fear you may be an eminence gris, Commander Maurice. The ease with which you move among the meeja crowd makes me wonder whether you are some kind of dark House of Cards style machiavellian player.

A sort of Dominic Cummings in Swords. :)
Now enlightened, Lumpy, I see brightly.
Methinks you overlook my ultimate and ubiquitous weapon of introduction.
The sheer power of the name, Elvis Presley has been breaking down the most fortified doors for many decades allowing yours truly to slither in at will. Be it The White House, Ashford Castle or Gracedland. :)
Plus I read an awful lot of G.B. Shaw.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies