Discovering Ireland (Second Thread)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Must watch that. Only ever seen the re-make, which I thought was spectacularly poor in parts. Re-makes are always weird though, trapped between trying to be a tribute to the original and yet bring something new to the story idea.

There are re-makes I won't even attempt to watch because there is no point to it as they are very unlikely to ever have the impact or staying power as the original.

Nicholas Cage in either Day of the Triffids or 'Day the Earth Stood Still' was something that was loudly proclaimed years back on bus posters and so on. It looked grim enough a proposition that I've studiously avoided ever seeing it. The original productions had a charm and innocence that can never be replicated.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Thanks Lumpy. Yes I agree Re-makes fail to live up to the originals time and time again.

Robert Mitchum's part in Ryan's Daughter was an unusual role for him. But set in a very beautiful part of county Kerry. Maybe 20 minutes south of Dingle in a car or ten by motorbike. :) The Beethoven music made up for the Mill's character!

The shy and gentle locals I was told did not like how they were portrayed by the loud and rough extras.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
A pleasant Camelia there, Commander Maurice. Accompanied inextricably by a pleasant image of Commander Maurice in the panama hat against the warm sunrays and gentle zephyrs of a taste of summer, no doubt in a comfortable deck-chair, a human Segocia in slumbering recline amid the Camelias.

Last edited:

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Thank you, Lumpy :) Sorry for the delay in replying I have been A.W.O.L .

I'm presently making myself a multi-layered mask for my rare escapes from my cocoon to the supermarket. Also watching a helluvalot of old movies when away from the lovely sunshine that has my guerilla troops marching down the road close to my home. A horde of blue Forget-me-nots flowering in abundance.
IMG_1785 (2).JPG

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Your forget-me-nots reminds me of a lovely weekend in Gloucestershire, Maurice. Down around the ancient Forest of Dean. Marvellous part of the island next door it has to be said, and it is around this time of the year that the forest floor is covered in blue-bells (or they could be forget-me-knots, I wouldn't be sure with my knowledge of horticulturalism being confined to a very narrow area of expertise).

It is a part of the country that you would appreciate at this time of the year, Commander.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Thanks Lumpy. The blue flowers in woodland are usual blue bells. Maureen and I found a huge swathe of them in a forest in Wicklow. Torquay Devon is the furthest WE got to when living in Salford UK. Also a lovely area of that island.

EDIT. Deleted a drawing as it was annoying me. Not a good representation.

Last edited:

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Whatever next...?

This rudimentary Solar oven I made cooked the egg to a soft consistency yesterday in Ireland's sunshine.
At this moment it is showing 230 Fahrenheit in the breeze. A few years ago I successfully cooked a stew in a larger version. They would be ideal for hot and sunny countries short of fuel.
Any Dragons about?

IMG_1819 (2).JPG

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
401.jpg

Commander Maurice, permission to include a nice photo I caught on my phone early in the morning last summer. I'd advance the notion that this place, the back of one of the bigger Colleges in Cambridge could legitimately be considered for the Discovering Ireland thread on the grounds that it is so pretty it may well apply for asylum in Ireland fairly soon.

As a legitimate satrapy of the Republic of Ireland it will be considered part of the Emerald Empire soon enough. I'm glad I was able to point it out to you without being too controversial.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
By way of making it up to the previous owners here is a picture of Johnstown Castle in Wexford and gardens. Johnstown has lovely memories for me. I think it is An Taisce or some agency has it now?

Johnstown.jpg

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The wings there in motion kind of remind me of your kingfisher painting Maurice.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom