Discrimination against Pro-life society at University of Limerick leads to SU endorsement of 8th Amendment Repeal

Maranatha

Discrimination against Pro-life society at University of Limerick leads to SU endorsement of 8th Amendment Repeal

UL Student's Union votes in favour of campaigning to repeal the 8th Amendment - but it remains a contentious issue.
An Focal

Just 4 years ago .. Pro-life society first ever rejected by University of Limerick clubs council
Pro-life society first ever rejected by University of Limerick clubs council

Discrimination against the Pro-life Society in 2014 paved the way for the ULSU vote (256 students turned up for the vote - less that 1.5% of total student population) last week to abandon the Student Union's neutral stance on the abortion referendum. Without a Pro-life Society to organize the attendance of Pro-life Students at the Student's Union AGM the President of the UL Feminist Society was able to pass a motion to change the Student Union's stance to pro-repeal. Creating an uneven playing field under the guise of democracy in 2014 made this possible. Student Unions should maintain a neutral stance on all issues and encourage those with political agendas to join their respective debating societies to make their cases.

Last edited:

ger12

Fanatical religious dogma has been replaced by fanatical pro abortion dogma in 2018, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Might just end up back firing on the abortion crowd.

APettigrew92

UL Student's Union votes in favour of campaigning to repeal the 8th Amendment - but it remains a contentious issue.
An Focal

Just 4 years ago .. Pro-life society first ever rejected by University of Limerick clubs council

Discrimination against the Pro-life Society in 2014 paved the way for the ULSU vote (256 students turned up for the vote - less that 1.5% of total student population) last week to abandon the Student Union's neutral stance on the abortion referendum. Without a Pro-life Society to organize the attendance of Pro-life Students at the Student's Union AGM the President of the UL Feminist Society was able to pass a motion to change the Student Union's stance to pro-repeal. Creating an uneven playing field under the guise of democracy in 2014 made this possible. Student Unions should maintain a neutral stance on all issues and encourage those with political agendas to join their respective debating societies to make their cases.
It's shameful that that University had to resort to outright banning a Pro-Life society rather than engage with the subject matter in a meaningful way.

If you speak and then gag your opponent, you've lost the debate by default, regardless of the quality of your argument.

This is ridiculous behaviour from a supposed bastion of free speech and education.

Levellers

You don't seem to like votes being taken do you? You got a mighty 71 votes which is not a massive endorsement of your position.

ger12

It's shameful that that University had to resort to outright banning a Pro-Life society rather than engage with the subject matter in a meaningful way.

If you speak and then gag your opponent, you've lost the debate by default, regardless of the quality of your argument.

This is ridiculous behaviour from a supposed bastion of free speech and education.
I remember Katie Ascough saying a lecturer in UCD told her she wanted her gone.

Some attitude to have in UCD.

shutuplaura

I think this is deadly. Good work UL SU!!

Maranatha

You don't seem to like votes being taken do you? You got a mighty 71 votes which is not a massive endorsement of your position.
The previous vote in 2014 is the one I have a greater issue with as it discriminated against the formation of the Pro-Life Society. The only society to have been effectively banned from organising in the history of UL's Students Union.

APettigrew92

I remember Katie Ascough saying a lecturer in UCD told her she wanted her gone.

Some attitude to have in UCD.
I'm an Alumni of that University, though I never experienced such outright political bias.

We did have a bizarre discussion as a class on Trump's election the morning after it happened. Mainly discussing how people felt.

I am unsure what prompted a Professor to highjack a class on German Modernism to do that. Not that emotions aren't important.

I just would've much preferred to hear more about Arthur Schnitzler than the feelings of my classmates about an election on the other side of the world.

Maranatha

Fanatical religious dogma has been replaced by fanatical pro abortion dogma in 2018, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Might just end up back firing on the abortion crowd.
In general the tactics of the abortion crowd (e.g. media collusion, rigged Citizen's Assembly etc) have been backfiring. Censorship and exclusion of pro-life voices is their only real hope of success but it will fail spectacularly.

ger12

In general the tactics of the abortion crowd (e.g. media collusion, rigged Citizen's Assembly etc) have been backfiring. Censorship and exclusion of pro-life voices is their only real hope of success but it will fail spectacularly.
Yeh, I agree.

I've seen media hacks portraying facts and fake news of late.

e.g. 90% of babies who test positive prenatally for DS are aborted in the UK. That's fact yet students and media hacks are claiming online that it's fake.

When you have to lie you're digging a grave.

gooner

I said this at the time of Katie Ascough's removal. Student Unions should remain neutral. Their issues should be more related to on campus.

This will alienate any pro-life members.

If they want to set up a group outside of the student union for repeal, feel free to do so.

They shouldn't as a student union take a general position on it.

Ireniall

I think this is deadly. Good work UL SU!!
They come from a long tradition of banning books, condoms,gay sex not to mention abortion in every circumstance. One of their fellows was thrown out of the SU in UCD for getting elected under false pretences and for once the rules have been used to exclude them and they're crying over it.lol

gooner

These third level institutions want a near echo chamber of the same opinions. They want to block any independent minded thinking and to stop students to go against what is perceived as the traditional position.

It's always been my experience that people with conservative views are more willing to discuss and debate issues than people with liberal viewpoints. They shut down debate with stereotypes. I think this is even more valid for third level institutions.

Such a tolerant bunch.

sakhee

Without a Pro-life Society to organize the attendance of Pro-life Students at the Student's Union AGM the President of the UL Feminist Society was able to pass a motion to change the Student Union's stance to pro-repeal.
If students cared enough about it they shouldn't need someone to organise them to turn up to vote. However even if they do need someone else to direct them the society still could have done so even if it is not a recognised society. I suspect that the vast majority of students at UL probably don't care too much about what the student union stance is on abortion.

That being said though the rejection for that society back in 2014 is not great. There is no reason not to recognise any society engaging in lawful business.

The_SR

I said this at the time of Katie Ascough's removal. Student Unions should remain neutral. Their issues should be more related to on campus.

This will alienate any pro-life members.

If they want to set up a group outside of the student union for repeal, feel free to do so.

They shouldn't as a student union take a general position on it.
Unless it's anti choice. Then it's fine.

The snowflake is strong in the anti choice brigade. It's all soooo unfair.

razorblade

While I consider myself pro choice those who are pro life should be fully entitled to air their views in public without whiny students wanting to ban them from speaking is this seriously the kind of totalitarian society we want to live in that only 1 side is entitled to be heard I'm sick to the back teeth of this extreme intolerance that's crept into society for those who hold different opinions.

Catalpast

An Focal

They will always play dirty

- but the Ballot Box is secret...:cool:

The_SR

That being said though the rejection for that society back in 2014 is not great. There is no reason not to recognise any society engaging in lawful business.
Youth Defence ran amock on campuses in the 90s. Violence and criminal damage were routine. I understand universities being wary of funding the 2.0

The_SR

They will always play dirty

- but the Ballot Box is secret...:cool:
Yeah, the anti abortion mob were always so clean and fair.

Blame youth defence for campuses being wary of extremist filth.

gooner

Unless it's anti choice. Then it's fine.

The snowflake is strong in the anti choice brigade. It's all soooo unfair.
I'm for freedom of conscience.

In the same way there are pro-abortion SF members that want to go further than the party position, they should be allowed to express and campaign on that view.

How much % of that vote anyway is representative of that college?

New Threads

Most Replies