• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Discrimination against the GAA .

Airwave

Interesting Feature in today's Irish News about the Rates Rebate Scandal available to everybody it seems except the GAA . A proposal presented to Moyle Council in the Glens of Antrim could see the District hand back ‘Rate Monies’ to GAA Clubs in the area – essentially awarding them rates exemption status via the back door. The move would circumvent rules forcing GAA Clubs to continue paying property rates while Orange Halls remain exempt .This proposal is the brainchild of Independent Councillor Padraig Mc Shane and it has the potential to set a precedent that would allow local authorities throughout the North to payback rates to GAA Clubs in any District. I wonder why the shinners and the SDLP dropped the ball on this one ? and why it was left to a local Independent Councilor to highlight the issue .

DT123

If this were to happen ,every sports club in the country will be standing with their hand out as well.

Never going to happen.

Covenanter

Interesting Feature in today's Irish News about the Rates Rebate Scandal available to everybody it seems except the GAA . A proposal presented to Moyle Council in the Glens of Antrim could see the District hand back ‘Rate Monies’ to GAA Clubs in the area – essentially awarding them rates exemption status via the back door. The move would circumvent rules forcing GAA Clubs to continue paying property rates while Orange Halls remain exempt .This proposal is the brainchild of Independent Councillor Padraig Mc Shane and it has the potential to set a precedent that would allow local authorities throughout the North to payback rates to GAA Clubs in any District. I wonder why the shinners and the SDLP dropped the ball on this one ? and why it was left to a local Independent Councilor to highlight the issue .
The GAA clubs generate large amounts of money from their matches. Why should they be exempt from rates and why is that blatantly sectarian councillor's idea even being entertained?

DT123

The GAA clubs generate large amounts of money from their matches. Why should they be exempt from rates and why is that blatantly sectarian councillor's idea even being entertained?
I can see the members of Royal Portrush counting the rebate already.

Covenanter

I can see the members of Royal Portrush counting the rebate already.
Some real mongs manage to get themselves elected.

Marcella

I agree. Everyone should pay their way - including the Orange Order.

Covenanter

The Orange Order does not generate the same amount of money that the GAA does though I am glad to see you equating the two. Many CNRs baulk at that.

J

Johnny Boy

And of course all the churches. I'm assuming they don't, and if I'm correct, they do tremenduous harm in society already and certainly shouldn't be rewarded for it.

Marcella

The Orange Order does not generate the same amount of money that the GAA does though I am glad to see you equating the two. Many CNRs baulk at that.
I'm equating the GAA with everyone else when it comes to paying their fair dues.

belfast1981

The problem is Orange Halls are considered religious grounds and exempt under the church ruling.

I don't agree and think all organizations that bring in money should be open to being taxed.

Marcella

And of course all the churches. I'm assuming they don't, and if I'm correct, they do tremenduous harm in society already and certainly shouldn't be rewarded for it.
Tax should be applicable to all. So yes, I agree.

Covenanter

I'm equating the GAA with everyone else when it comes to paying their fair dues.
You are referring to tax. On what income would you be taxing the OO?

J

Johnny Boy

You are referring to tax. On what income would you be taxing the OO?
Eh? Where did you pull that from? Taxes are based on factors other than income, and have been throughout history, at least back as far as Roman times. They even taxed people on the number of windows of their homes at one point.

Covenanter

Eh? Where did you pull that from? Taxes are based on factors other than income, and have been throughout history, at least back as far as Roman times. They even taxed people on the number of windows of their homes at one point.
Yeah, but on what basis do you want to tax the OO?

Covenanter

to pay towards their own bloody parades that we pay for. Yet a good part of the country opposes
There are plenty of things that I oppose. Should I be able to insist that they therefore be taxed?

Marcella

Because if I don't pay the rates on my home, I get taken to court. Tax should be applicable to all. The OO own property and should be taxed on it, as should all.

Galloper Thompson

The problem is Orange Halls are considered religious grounds and exempt under the church ruling. I don't agree and think all organizations that bring in money should be open to being taxed.
Huh, religious grounds? how in the name of jasus can a cesspit like this get religious status?

[video=youtube;aylUKl9bQwY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aylUKl9bQwY&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies