Disgraceful treatment of 'Windrush' generation?

Socratus O' Pericles

The first wave of immigrants started with the arrival of a troop ship from Jamaica called the 'Empire Windrush'. The people who came to Britain from the West Indies came to be known as the 'Windrush' generation.

The legal status of the 'Windrush' generation has been made a political football by Tories. The Home Office is too concerned with policy and little concerned per Amber Rudd, having a right cut at Mrs. May.

A hostile environment?

https://www.rte.ie/news/uk/2018/0416/954910-windrush-politics/

diaspora-mick

Wat a joyful news, Miss Mattie,
I feel like me heart gwine burs'
Jamaica people colonizin
Englan in reverse.

By de hundred, by de t'ousan
From country and from town,
By de ship load, by de plane-load
Jamaica is Englan boun.

Dem a-pour out o'Jamaica,
Everybody future plan
Is fe get a big-time job
An settle in de mother lan.

What a islan! What a people!
Man an woman, old and young
Jusa pack dem bag an baggage
An tun history upside dung!

Some people don't like travel,
But fe show dem loyalty
Dem all a-open up cheap-fare-
To-England agency.

An week by week dem shipping off
Dem countryman like fire,
Fe immigrate an populate
De seat o' de Empire.

Oonoo see how life is funny
Oonoo see de tunabout,
Jamaica live fi box bread
Outa English people mout'.

For wen dem catch a Englan,
An start play dem different role,
Some will settle down to work
An some will settle fe de dole.

Jane say de dole is not too bad
Bacause dey payin she
Two pounds a week fe seek a job
Dat suit her dignity.

Me say Jane will never find work
At the rate how she dah look,
For all day she stay pon Aunt Fan couch
And read love-story book.

Wat a devilment a Englan!
Dem face war an brave de worse,
But I'm wonderin how dem gwine stan
Colonizin in reverse.

Colonization in Reverse – Louise Bennett Coverley – Rt. Hon. Dr. Louise Bennett Coverley

Socratus O' Pericles

Tories being slaughtered on Newsnight.

Trampas

Tories being slaughtered on Newsnight.
Now there's a surprise. They walked into this one. Powell's speech made it impossible to discuss immigration for the past 50 years, so somebody decided that a booster dose was now required. Beyond belief this one.

between the bridges

The first wave of immigrants started with the arrival of a troop ship from Jamaica called the 'Empire Windrush'. The people who came to Britain from the West Indies came to be known as the 'Windrush' generation.

The legal status of the 'Windrush' generation has been made a political football by Tories. The Home Office is too concerned with policy and little concerned per Amber Rudd, having a right cut at Mrs. May.

A hostile environment?

Total clusterfvck, invite them over and 50 years later say 'ye can't stay because we lost the records', tbf I expect (hope) common sense will prevail...

Last edited:

Expose the lot of them

First I heard of this, I know that some children of Hungarian refugees who came to the UK experienced difficulties but they were eventually resolved. Never knew that the same was, and is, happening with these Caribbean immigrants who were invited to rebuild the country and staff the NHS.

gleeful

David Lammy is sounding like Corbyns replacement these days. Prime Minister material.

rainmaker

Administrator

A hostile environment?

Disgraceful indeed. But it will be rectified, the public would be livid if it weren't.

rainmaker

Administrator
Never knew that the same was, and is, happening with these Caribbean immigrants who were invited to rebuild the country and staff the NHS.
It's a recent thing, and only affects those who never registered. It was a different era then.

However it's an utterly disgraceful situation. The Windrush generations contribution to British culture and society has been immeasurable and this needs to be put right immediately.

Tribal

It certainly makes the case for EU citizens in the UK being covered by a UK agreement with the ECJ more pressing.

Another case for the Common versus Civil law thread, would the UK be in this situation if everyone had ID cards from the start?

gleeful

It certainly makes the case for EU citizens in the UK being covered by a UK agreement with the ECJ more pressing.

Another case for the Common versus Civil law thread, would the UK be in this situation if everyone had ID cards from the start?
Funny thing is - the UK had ID cards when Windrush docked. It scraped them about a decade after.

former wesleyan

My Mum's going to the Caribbean this year.

Jamaica ?

No the Home Office did.

Spirit Of Newgrange

My Mum's going to the Caribbean this year.

Jamaica ?

No the Home Office did.
mine went to indonesia. economy class along the back-roads.

Jakartha ? no, she walked

Expose the lot of them

It's a recent thing, and only affects those who never registered. It was a different era then.

However it's an utterly disgraceful situation. The Windrush generations contribution to British culture and society has been immeasurable and this needs to be put right immediately.
Did they never get British passports? They must have some travel documents, please forgive my ignorance but as I posted earlier this the first I have head of this.

between the bridges

Did they never get British passports? They must have some travel documents, please forgive my ignorance but as I posted earlier this the first I have head of this.
The one case I read about the lady had never traveled abroad since coming to the UK and the issue arose when she applied for a passport!...

Spirit Of Newgrange

the overwhelming majority who arrived on the ship were male.

forget the lessons of history and repeat all the mistakes.... a proper gender balance would have accelerated integration and reduced the ghetto effect of large groups of men living together and staying in the same parts of town.

What is the Windrush generation and why are they worried? - ITV News

Last edited:

Dame_Enda

Windrush was the beginning of the UK's problems with intergenerational racial tensions imho.

Another problem was the colonial aspect. It was essentially the colonial power expropriating much of the populations of the countries of origin. This caused a massive brain drain which many former colonies continue to suffer from today in terms of being low income Third World countries. Look at the "Yardie" gangs in the Caribean.

On the other hand I firmly believe it is problematic to take away legal rights once they are given, and that its just not-on to do so for elderly people who have lived in the UK for many decades. There was one from Jamaica on Sky or CNN today who came to the UK in 1965 and apparently has fallen through the cracks of the UK govts "Hostile Environment" policy.

Northsideman

Disgraceful indeed. But it will be rectified, the public would be livid if it weren't.
Not the first time the Brits have disgraced themselves like this, they recuited the Gurkhas and then stabbed them in the back with their own Kukris.

rainmaker

Administrator
It's not ignorance at all.I was unaware of all this myself until now.

All I assume is that they had tickets and passports, but it seems many never sought citizenship or official permanent residency and the authorities never seem to bothered them for to. (Astonishing to imagine in this era).

I assume on their part they simply arrived and got on with building lives for themselves.

New Threads

Most Replies