Disgruntled passenger ordered to forfeit 'I Hate Ryanair' website

controller

Why oh why didn't Ryanair just let the website be...........Did Michael O'Leary forget about Brendan Behans quote "There is no such thing as bad publicity..."

from January to May 2010 the website also displayed links to other websites offering travel insurance and foreign currency, which earned Tyler a total of €365............................ However, Mrs Seager stressed that the profit was the only reason behind her decision and that critical content on the site did not constitute “unfair disruption” to Ryanair.

Disgruntled passenger ordered to forfeit 'I Hate Ryanair' website - Europe, World News - Independent.ie

Here is the new website
I Hate Ryanair

Ryanair attempt to shut this website down fails

Last edited:

wexfordman

Mmmm... Thinks of a few aptly named political party websites to follow!!

Sync

Silly silly silly. Should have checked into it before allowing ads on the site. By profiting from Ryanair's trademarked name it was always going to be brought down.

Aindriu

The Nerd really needs to get a life.
He was expressing his democratic right of freedom of speech.

Not everyone in the world is like you and thinks the sun shines out of O'Leary's hole petunia

Sync

Not everyone in the world is like you and thinks the sun shines out of O'Leary's hole petunia
That's the point of the ruling, he was expressing it, up to the point where he sought to profit from someone elses trademark. The judge was clear that the idea of having an IHateRyanair site was fine. If someone starts an IDespiseRyanair site tomorrow, there's no issue.

anewbeginning

While I'm not major fan of Ryanair, I've always had a very pleasant time on their flights.

They employ thousands of people and bring much needed revenue and tourists to Ireland via low cost travel.

So the idiot running IhateRyanair is shooting us all in the foot.

We need every last cent of revenue in this country, it really is that bad, with us borrowing 55 million euro a day.

Cassandra Syndrome

Yes Ireland's quintessential model Aviator and entrepreneur Michael O'Leary. What with his wittisms, delightful charm and colourful lifetime of fantastic tales, I am sure the film director equivalent of Martin Scorcese in 50 years time will have no problem making an illustratous masterpiece about his life.....

Yes Ireland's quintessential model Aviator and entrepreneur Michael O'Leary. What with his wittisms, delightful charm and colourful lifetime of fantastic tales, I am sure the film director equivalent of Martin Scorcese in 50 years time will have no problem making an illustratous masterpiece about his life.....

He creates Wealth so understandable why you would hate him.

markjbloggs

If you want entertainment, hire a clown. Seanie FitzPatrick is probably what you are looking for.

Er Wrong there is NO RIGHT to freedom of speech.

If you can actually show where in UK law this is allowed then please do so.

controller

Er Wrong there is NO RIGHT to freedom of speech.

If you can actually show where in UK law this is allowed then please do so.
Its now called freedom of expression under the Human Rights Act 2000.And is covered by article 10.

Article 10: Freedom of Expression

(1) Everyone has the right of freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without inference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This Article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.

(2) The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.

Libero

Sync said:
The judge was clear that the idea of having an IHateRyanair site was fine.
Is there a judge at a Nominet tribunal hearing?

Sync said:
That's the point of the ruling, he was expressing it, up to the point where he sought to profit from someone elses trademark.
I don't think the ruling went so far as to say that Mr Tyler intentionally sought to profit from having Ryanair's trademark in his domain name, but that he did profit and even if that profit was incidental and unintended, this is not acceptable.

(Which raises the question of whether €365 is really "profit" considering the time put into the site, and whether a site that solicits donations is assumed to be profiting.)

Squire Allworthy

He creates Wealth.
Indeed he does, and he has an individual and interesting management style. There have been for me a series of Ratner moments, but obviously others are less concerned as jewellery and flights are different products. One is transitory and is a utility of short duration.

There is much to learn. I wonder if a slightly different public image be any better?

Wouldn't be my first choice when flying but then I an not in his target group. He will survive and flourish until someone better competes.

Indeed he does, and he has an individual and interesting management style. There have been for me a series of Ratner moments, but obviously others are less concerned as jewellery and flights are different products. One is transitory and is a utility of short duration.

There is much to learn. I wonder if a slightly different public image be any better?

Wouldn't be my first choice when flying but then I an not in his target group. He will survive and flourish until someone better competes.
In an agressive growth company you an agressive entrepreneur who will put the business first, at a latter stage when growth has reached a certain level then you need a different type of management which Michael O'Leary has already indicated he is not that person.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies