• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Disillusioned with FG

riker1969

I would have voted FG in 2002,2007 ,11 and a second preference in 2016 but I cant see myself voting for them again because of the following reasons.

1) No real reform of HSE
2) Housing crisis-nothing radical going on here
3) Highest mortgage bank rates in EU
4) Escalating Insurance costs-buck is passed to regulator on a regular basis here.
5) One of the highest Childcare costs in OECD

On a personal note -Harris cant run an efficient constituency operation which makes me wonder what he can run.

I have little faith in FF to sort any of the above ether.

runwiththewind

I would have voted FG in 2002,2007 ,11 and a second preference in 2016 but I cant see myself voting for them again because of the following reasons.

1) No real reform of HSE
4) Escalating Insurance costs-buck is passed to regulator on a regular basis here.

On a personal note -Harris cant run an efficient constituency operation which makes me wonder what he can run.

Agree, but what are our options but SF. I'm done with the two and a half party state. SF will get my number one next time, followed by the social democrats at number two. And that's it.

Disillusioned democrat

1) No real reform of HSE

100% - FG's secret sauce seems to be to make sure as much citizens money makes it to private business as possible by making the public service unfit for purpose.

bokuden

1) No real reform of HSE

Apart from the government, it does make me wonder about FGers local constituency operations. Outside of the well heeled, leafy suburbs, how do they get on?

Disillusioned democrat

Agree, but what are our options but SF. I'm done with the two and a half party state. SF will get my number one next time, followed by the social democrats at number two. And that's it.
Yup - any change to the status quo has to be worth the risk - the boom to bust to boom cycle with the cronies skimming off the top is making Ireland a complete cesspit.

riker1969

Im inclined to give my number one to the SDP if they run a candidate again in Wicklow. Steven egghead ran last time and then joined FF. Im musing over SF. I wasnt a supporter of the provos though I understood why violence started-not why it had to go on so long. I ee them eventually selling out but perhaps they have a few radical ideas to put in place?

PBP voter

Seems to me only scumbag tradesmen are doing well from FG along with the rich.

ainm_eile

FG's problem is that they're too laissez-faire about things.

It's all well and good claiming that the market will sort things out better than the State can, but the State is still responsible at the very least for ensuring that markets are as fair and efficient as possible. And it's still FG's responsibility to check that things are actually working out as well as they claim.

FG have made no effort for example to increase the efficiency of the planning authorisation system that I know of, in spite of the embarrassment of the Apple data centre out in Athenry.

They haven't attempted to introduce a centralised system for "pre-screening" planning applications so the local councils would only have to handle the harder aspects.

Nor have they made any effort to get foreign construction firms to enter the Irish market that I know of.

riker1969

Apart from the government, it does make me wonder about FGers local constituency operations. Outside of the well heeled, leafy suburbs, how do they get on?
I contacted Harris twice and twice he fxxx up. Im talking basic houseeeping-not pulling a fast one. He will eventually learn that without the local operation being well oiled he will lose his seat. Sure Id love a list system but what we have we have.. Most Ministers get a few civil servants to free them up. He doesnt know how to employ them obviouly

Disillusioned democrat

It's all well and good claiming that the market will sort things out better than the State can, but the State is still responsible at the very least for ensuring that markets are as fair and efficient as possible. And it's still FG's responsibility to check that things are actually working out as well as they claim.

FG have made no effort for example to increase the efficiency of the planning authorisation system that I know of, in spite of the embarrassment of the Apple data centre out in Athenry.

They haven't attempted to introduce a centralised system for "pre-screening" planning applications so the local councils would only have to handle the harder aspects.

Nor have they made any effort to get foreign construction firms to enter the Irish market that I know of.
There's nothing laissez-faire about FG - they've been massively proactive at putting in the spadework for phase 2.0 of the rip-off republic.

REITs, compulsory health insurance, HAP, IW, etc. have all funneled our money into private pockets for no additional benefit to the tax payers and citizens - that's not laisser-faire, that's larceny.

riker1969

Enough housing land in dublin. Poor planning but building costs still too high. FG dont want to piss off local councils above all else and sure the homeless cant vote anyway..

wombat

Nothing to prevent them from bidding on projects but in general, housing contracts are too small. There is a spectacular exception at Cherrywood which is being developed by a U.S. company.

Spirit Of Newgrange

Nigel Farage gave Varadkar a good roasting over an incompetent policy on Brexit. Its all on youtube.

''nigel farage smashes irish prime minister in EU parliament''

wombat

Nigel Farage gave Varadkar a good roasting over an incompetent policy on Brexit. Its all on youtube.

A gummy sheep comes to mind:lol:

Gin Soaked

They are a mess even in the leafy suburbs...

Got a flier from Maria Bailey yesterday, so at least she knows our ED is in DLR.

As to OP? No other party has a plan for any radical or workable solution which does not dump the bill on middle and above earners.

If SF could fix Ireland for 5% on everything above 80k, AND stop the "kick anyone who has a decent job and decent standard of living", they'd have a chance.

But their plans are not credible and we are scared of them getting in Govt.

Round tower

That is up to yourself but to vote for a party who has still elected members who have being convicted of terorism ofences both in NI and the Republic, who have supported people who have murdered members of our civil servents.
So would be happy with Dessie Ellis a minister of justice, a possible SF candidate who refused to condem the murder od a member of the GS, i would vote for no one rather than give SF anything higher than a vote that will count in a election.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Many of us were never illusioned in the first place.

Fine Gael are doing more or less what one might have expected them to do, despite the Fianna Fáil sword of Damocles sort of half-heartedly dangling over their heads.

Though they do seem to be playing a harder game on Brexit than one might have expected.

PBP voter

1) No real reform of HSE

The less houses built the better.

The houses being built now are the ghost estates of the future.

We should use the existing 180k empty units.

Any revenue raised in house building should be put away and not used for day to day spending.

flavirostris

Varadkar has been a total stooge / poodle for the EU in it's campaign to stop Brexit. Another reason I'm not voting for them.

I just see FG as totally subservient to Brussels. They can't even contemplate what it's like to be leading an independent country.

They want to be just Brussels satraps, carrying out the will of Juncker, Verhofstadt et al.

And I suspect Varadkar just wants to move on to a job in Brussels when his time is done here.

Disillusioned democrat

That is up to yourself but to vote for a party who has still elected members who have being convicted of terorism ofences both in NI and the Republic, who have supported people who have murdered members of our civil servents.
So would be happy with Dessie Ellis a minister of justice, a possible SF candidate who refused to condem the murder od a member of the GS, i would vote for no one rather than give SF anything higher than a vote that will count in a election.
Meanwhile the dinosaur Howlin digs in as leader of Labour to make sure they can't get rid of the stench of being in the 2011 government that laid the groundwork for Varadkar's Ireland. REITs and IW, SiteServ and Cerebrus, etc.

Popular Threads

Most Replies