DISNEY has bought 20th Century Fox inc 39% stake in SKY

robut

As Disney swallows Fox, a new era dawns for Hollywood

After years of tremors, the earthquake that had long been predicted finally shook Hollywood.

Disney's deal to purchase most of 21st Century Fox ends the era of the "Big Six" major movie studios, toppling one of the industry's most famed studios and dramatically redrawing the Hollywood map.

Disney's move — to pay $52.4 billion in stock for Fox assets — has countless reverberations. But by effectively absorbing Fox's film studio, 20th Century Fox, Disney has rapidly accelerated the industry contraction that many considered inevitable in an era of flat-lining ticket sales and new streaming competitors like Netflix, Amazon and Apple.

The Big Six are now the Big Five — and the mightiest of them all has just been supersized.
Disney is buying itself a messy TV deal in Europe

Disney has just bought itself a very messy deal in Europe.

The U.S. entertainment giant announced Thursday that it will spend $52.4 billion to swallow most of 21st Century Fox (FOX), including its minority stake in British pay TV provider Sky (SKYAY).

Here's where things get interesting: Long before it was for sale, Fox struck a $15 billion deal to buy the 61% of Sky it didn't already own. The takeover -- inked a year ago -- has repeatedly been delayed due to a U.K. government review and its future is in doubt.

What happens now that Disney has snapped up Fox? It's not clear.

"This whole thing has snowballed with delays," said Alice Enders, director of research at Enders Analysis. "The politics of the situation are very demanding."

The purchase of Sky is still being reviewed by a British regulator called the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA).
Why Everybody Should Be Very Afraid of the Disney Death Star - The first episode of the Streaming Wars is over. The rebels won. Now the empire strikes back.

SO .. this is going to be very interesting.

For example how will DISNEY deal with SKY, SKY SPORTS etc?

Where does all this go? I left this OP pretty open because this is HUGE.

What are your thoughts on all this??

silverharp

is there anything the Simpsons cant predict :D

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Why Everybody Should Be Very Afraid of the Disney Death Star - The first episode of the Streaming Wars is over. The rebels won. Now the empire strikes back.

More reboots of tired, clichéd sci fi and comic book franchises?

More animated movies?

More tat?

Equals more cash.

The end.

redhead

It's not really as earth shattering as it's made to sound. Most of the big studios haven't been autonomous in a long time, and were swallowed up in corporate expansions by global media companies and large corporations during the 1980's.

They continued to be traded in various mergers and acquisitions so that they were divisions of large companies dealing with publishing, broadcasting, music and film.

What was Columbia is now Sony; Paramount became Viacom. Warners has been part of several different corporations since the mid 80's including Ted Turner's group which bought Time publishing, AOL and MGM. Disney makes most of its money from licensing and merchandising. The actual film business is on the periphery.

robut

But I wonder whay the implcations will be for SKY and SKY SPORTS under Disney part ownership ( 39% )?

Also i heard story wandering around that SKY NEWS is losing big time and might get axed?

fat finger

But I wonder whay the implcations will be for SKY and SKY SPORTS under Disney part ownership ( 39% )?

Also i heard story wandering around that SKY NEWS is losing big time and might get axed?

Maybe not axed, but costly anchors like Kay Burley could find themselves replaced by a cartoon character. My choice would be Lois Griffin, but Marge Simpson will probably be seen as the safe pair of hands. And don't rule out Pocahontas, Jessica Rabbit or Princess Elsa, stranger things have happened but I wouldn't bet the house on it

silverharp

Maybe not axed, but costly anchors like Kay Burley could find themselves replaced by a cartoon character. My choice would be Lois Griffin, but Marge Simpson will probably be seen as the safe pair of hands. And don't rule out either Pocahontas or Jessica Rabbit, stranger things have happened but I wouldn't bet the house on it
Sky anchors are a motley crew, I assumed they got them from the local labour exchange.

Bill

I don't know how South Park got away with this .....

[video=youtube;TF4_4g1B2Ug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF4_4g1B2Ug[/video]
family guy is also a fox production
[video=youtube;oqxnVQ_Dkds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqxnVQ_Dkds[/video]

New Threads

Most Replies