• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Disrespect towards Obama: a sign of a declining USA?

O

Oscurito

In the last few days, there have been two incidents in Asia in which distinct and pointed disrespect was expressed towards President Barack Obama.

In a calculated snub by the Chinese at the G20 summit, the President was not provided with a red carpet welcome in Hangzhou. Every other G20 leader was accorded that level of courtesy.

Later on, the Filipino president, Rodrigo Duterte - not one to refrain from colourful language - made an astonishingly insulting comment about the Commander in Chief that also implies an attack on Obama's mother.

Meanwhile, back in the good ol' USA, the two candidates most likely to succeed Obama are a cartoon character-like billionaire prone to gaffes and reversals on a daily basis and an establishment figure whose credibility is being slowly undermined by the week. And week by week, the country's debt is rising and the country seems more and more divided along the lines of class and race.

Are other countries seeing the weakness and sensing the chance to take the Yanks down a peg - or five?

EDIT:
As described in this post, the Iranian Navy is now routinely harassing American ships in the Persian Gulf.

Last edited:

GDPR

No, it just shows that the Chinese are increasingly arrogant (ie showing their true colours) and have no manners and the new Filipino president is an oik.

The Chinese were also extremely rude when they visited the UK recently, so much so that the Queen covertly raised the matter at a garden party a few weeks after enduring the Chinese.

GDPR

I would not be surprised if the Filipino president does not survive the year. He has made a lot of enemies in the drug cartels. He is also an oik.

O

Oscurito

No, it just shows that the Chinese are increasingly arrogant (ie showing their true colours) and have no manners and the new Filipino president is an oik.

The Chinese were also extremely rude when they visited the UK recently, so much so that the Queen covertly raised the matter at a garden party a few weeks after enduring the Chinese.
I remember years ago when one USA president came calling to Ireland (I think it was Obama), his security entourage were swarming all over Dublin city centre, streets were sealed off, litters bins were bolted shut, manhole covers were lifted and drains checked etc. I'm not saying I disagree with that but I wonder if the Chinese allowed it in Hangzhou,

silverharp

maybe because he was on his way out, they should have just landed the jet on a golf course , he probably would have stayed there

O

Oscurito

I would not be surprised if the Filipino president does not survive the year. He has made a lot of enemies in the drug cartels. He is also an oik.
His approval rating is over 90% and he seems to unleashing an economic boom.

GDPR

His approval rating is over 90% and he seems to unleashing an economic boom.
He's probably popular because he is attacking the drug trade, and that is enthusing non drug people no end bringing about an economic boom.

However, live by the sword...

gleeful

Im not sure I believe this Chinese Snub story. It seems there was more too it - apparently the stairs was rejected by the Americans because the driver wasnt security vetted.

USER1234

Obama being disrespected is nothing new, people who don't agree with his policies, his party affiliation or just the color of his skin have been disrespecting him since he announced he was standing for election for the presidency in 2007 (a perfect example of this is the whole discredited birther conspiracy theory which some still hang on to)

So this is nothing new

Eire1976

He's probably popular because he is attacking the drug trade, and that is enthusing non drug people no end bringing about an economic boom.

However, live by the sword...
The CIA run the drug trade. Why do you think opium production has gone up since they invaded Afghanistan?

Dame_Enda

His domestic policies in some respects have been good eg marriage equality, trying to get gun control, the jury is still out on healthcare. His foreign policies except the Iran deal and Paris climate deal have been in every respect a failure, as Libya and Syria testify. The much vaunted "pivot to Asia" has not stopped China from effectively taking over the South China Sea which extends 400 miles from the Chinese mainland.

He projects weakness on the international stage on a Carter-like scale.

gleeful

I remember years ago when one USA president came calling to Ireland (I think it was Obama), his security entourage were swarming all over Dublin city centre, streets were sealed off, litters bins were bolted shut, manhole covers were lifted and drains checked etc. I'm not saying I disagree with that but I wonder if the Chinese allowed it in Hangzhou,
The Chinese completely depopulated Hangzhou for the event.

I dont know why these things arent held on a remote island sonewhere - like rockall.

tsarbomb

Duterte is a legend. It's hypocritical of Obama to criticise him when he's giving weapons to the Saudis for them to destroy Yemen. The Philippines has been torn apart by the drug trade for years and its about time dealers were proscribed.

O

Oscurito

Obama being disrespected is nothing new, people who don't agree with his policies, his party affiliation or just the color of his skin have been disrespecting him since he announced he was standing for election for the presidency in 2007 (a perfect example of this is the whole discredited birther conspiracy theory which some still hang on to)

So this is nothing new
A not insignificant section of white American society has been in a state of permanent disbelief and rage since 2008 because the POTUSA is one of "the minority". You'll find them on websites like Russia Today making contemptuous comments about the Obamas being a "welfare family". Anything that humiliates Obama is grist to their mill.

GDPR

Duterte is a legend. It's hypocritical of Obama to criticise him when he's giving weapons to the Saudis for them to destroy Yemen. The Philippines has been torn apart by the drug trade for years and its about time dealers were proscribed.
That does not give him the right to call someone the "son of a whore".

O

Oscurito

It's hard to know how it will play out. A similar approach in Mexico has led to a state of near civil war but the Mexican drug lords have free access to guns from across the border in the USA while the Philippines is more isolated. Maybe the Mexicans should pay for that wall after all.....:|.

owedtojoy

I think President Obama has made a dignified response in the only way possible. If an uncouth boor disrespects you in your office as President, make that his problem.

The insult is already "regretted", and Obama has nicely patronized the boor by calling him a "colorful guy". https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/09/05/philippine-president-threatens-to-curse-out-obama-obama-calls-him-a-colorful-guy/

By the way, this was disrespect. Throwing a shoe in the Middle East is a sign of contempt. It is even in the Bible.

[video=youtube;duLds-TZMGw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duLds-TZMGw[/video]

God has spoken in His sanctuary:
“I will triumph! I will divide up Shechem.
I will apportion the Valley of Succoth.
Gilead is Mine, Manasseh is Mine,
and Ephraim is My helmet;
Judah is My scepter.
Moab is My washbasin.
I throw My sandal on Edom;
I shout in triumph over Philistia.”

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies