• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Dissatisfied Fine Gael voters...speak up

RahenyFG

Those who voted Fine Gael in the last election, be it normal voters or members, who are now dissatisfied with Fine Gael and wouldn't vote for them if an election was tomorrow let's hear your opinions. I'm hearing many people say they won't vote Fine Gael having voted for them last time out and also some members are dropping off as well, some on here for example.

So tell me this.

1. Why you voted for Fine Gael in the 2011 general election?

2. Why you won't be voting Fine Gael in the next general election?

james5001

Could you give your own opinion to get things rolling?

RahenyFG

As I said somewhere else on here I intend to vote Fine Gael unless a serious scandal or second bailout with lying on the scale of Cowen and Lenihan to attempt to cover it up occurs. I'll admit I'm not entirely happy with Fine Gael in government but this mess won't be sorted in a fell swoop. Might even take two full terms. Also to me there is no clear alternative on the opposition benches. FF who ruined the country. SF who have some radical wishy washy policies. ULA=see SF and finally the rag bag lot of independents. Green Party-might give them a high preference but they are tainted after their spell in government with FF.

Asparagus

Those who voted Fine Gael in the last election, be it normal voters or members, who are now dissatisfied with Fine Gael and wouldn't vote for them if an election was tomorrow let's hear your opinions. I'm hearing many people say they won't vote Fine Gael having voted for them last time out and also some members are dropping off as well, some on here for example.

So tell me this.

1 Because i wanted a change of government
2 Because i didn't get one

harshreality

So tell me this.

I think many people voted for FG because they were perceived as being the opposite to FF.

james5001

As I said somewhere else on here I intend to vote Fine Gael unless a serious scandal or second bailout with lying on the scale of Cowen and Lenihan to attempt to cover it up occurs. I'll admit I'm not entirely happy with Fine Gael in government but this mess won't be sorted in a fell swoop. Might even take two full terms. Also to me there is no clear alternative on the opposition benches. FF who ruined the country. SF who have some radical wishy washy policies. ULA=see SF and finally the rag bag lot of independents. Green Party-might give them a high preference but they are tainted after their spell in government with FF.
Do you not think that FG/Lab are just trying to get back to a situation which caused the bust in the first place, believing that everything will be ok?

RahenyFG

Do you not think that FG/Lab are just trying to get back to a situation which caused the bust in the first place, believing that everything will be ok?
Well what evidence is there for such a claim? I just hope they don't go back to a situation where construction and inflated property prices are the flagpole of an healthy economy. That should never be allowed to happen again and property prices should never get high again.

wexfordman

I voted fg, cos they were not FF. However I am not dissapointed with them, they have lived up to expectations, which were exceptionally low!

The quandry now will be, who do I vote for next time, and it may literally be a case of eeny meeny miny moe (except for fg, they wont be standing in line for selection).

Honestly though, amazing how much they have literally fncked up, consiering in reality how easy a job they had. It takes an exceptional level of incompetence/indifference to make yourselves look bad after FF!

emulator

I voted for Reilly in 2011 because basically I believed him.... I know :roll:

As for FG and their manifesto, I believed they would actually change politics and make a start at getting rid of the sort of politics that has destroyed the Country.... It seems they are continuing on where FF left off, if not worse.

I will be voting for SF in the next local and general election, depending on which comes first....

Watcher2

I was trying to think of how best to summarise my position and then I read Asparagus' post. That sums it up for me.

RahenyFG

I voted fg, cos they were not FF. However I am not dissapointed with them, they have lived up to expectations, which were exceptionally low!

The quandry now will be, who do I vote for next time, and it may literally be a case of eeny meeny miny moe (except for fg, they wont be standing in line for selection).

Honestly though, amazing how much they have literally fncked up, consiering in reality how easy a job they had. It takes an exceptional level of incompetence/indifference to make yourselves look bad after FF!
So why do you say you're not disappointed with FG and then saying you're not voting for them next time? Excluding your low expectations of them in government.

meriwether

On the basis that FF destroyed the country to the extent that it had to receive emergency bailout funding, what have FG done that was worse than this?

Dame_Enda

So tell me this.

To get serious reform of the PS, including the end of the CPA. Preferably a govt without Labour knowing they would (and have) block this.
They have failed to deliver on this.

The option was there to go in with Independents and possibly get these reforms but the Blueshirts chose mercs and perks instead.

wexfordman

So why do you say you're not disappointed with FG and then saying you're not voting for them next time? Excluding your low expectations of them in government.
You should probably consider why I said I wasnt dissapointed in them inthe first place. I voted for them because they were not FF, as did a lot of people, but the fools are still under the illusion that they were elected because people thought they were in any way competent!

On the basis that FF destroyed the country to the extent that it had to receive emergency bailout funding, what have FG done that was worse than this?
Spent the entire time using FF as an excuse for every incompetent decision they have made since comming into power!
Continued FF policies, such as CPA,
Fncked up implementation of what could have been a fair and justifiable local community charge.
Stole money from private pension schemes

OH yeah...James Reilly!
And a number of other dodgy local councilers that have merged from the woodwork over the last few months
And not capping advisors pay.
And continuing jobs for the boys.

They could have been heroes if they even bothered to do half of the above half right. they could have been legends, but in the end, they were just ar5eholes like the rest of em.

james5001

Well what evidence is there for such a claim? I just hope they don't go back to a situation where construction and inflated property prices are the flagpole of an healthy economy. That should never be allowed to happen again and property prices should never get high again.
Fundamentally, what caused the bubble and planning corruption, or at the very least, what made it go on for so long, was the disproportionate influence members of the elite had on Irish politicians, mainly through the use of large sums of money. Once we get out of the recession this will happen again

meriwether

To get serious reform of the PS, including the end of the CPA.They have failed to deliver on this.
Are you aware that FG are in coalition with labour?

Are you aware of Labour policies?

Are you aware of how coalition government works?

meriwether

Spent the entire time using FF as an excuse for every incompetent decision they have made since comming into power!
Continued FF policies, such as CPA,
Fncked up implementation of what could have been a fair and justifiable local community charge.
Stole money from private pension schemes
None of this is worse than bankrupting the country.
Some of it is a result of the bankrupt country.

But again, none of this is worse than bankrupting the country.

libertarian-right

Might even take two full terms.
Definitely won't be one term to fix the absolute mess created during a decade of corrupt bubble politics.

I am annoyed at the lack of political will to get things done.
I am annoyed at the continuous lack of real or even radical change in terms of our political system, our banking system amongst others.
I am annoyed at no proper change in the structures of the Dail proceedings and how TD's interact with the whole system.
I am annoyed with the lack of transparency and accountability from our politicians and the elite and no changes in sight to even plan or see how we can improve this.
I am annoyed at the continuous lack of progress on bank debt.
I am annoyed at promissory note spin of pretending not to pay.
I am annoyed with the new copyright legislation. Idiotic in todays internet age.
I am annoyed at the slow drip drip annual austerity budgets, do it one go and you've hit bottom, all other years are upwards from then on.
I am annoyed with programs like job bridge.
I am annoyed with overpayment in regards to political appointments and advisers.

I will be annoyed if they keep including measures on manipulating the property market.
I will be annoyed if Croke Park deal 2 is another union back hander.
I will be annoyed if they continue to drag this out needlessly like Fianna Fail were doing previously.
I will be annoyed if the bankruptcy law is still draconian.
I will be annoyed if they don't abolish the useless senate.
I will be annoyed if they properly legislate for the X case.

/rant.