• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Dissolve the United Kingdom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without thinking about it, if someone asked me if I'd like to see the UK dissolved, I'd say yes. But in reality what effect would it have on Ireland?
For a start, we'd have two independant states (Republic and Northern Ireland) beside each other (pending, I'd hope, a negotiated all-island federal republic).

the north and south of Ireland would prob have to merge

eurocrat

emmet100 said:
I don't think Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would be able to survive economically on their own and the people there know it.
Same was said about the Republic of Ireland. I think Scotland with a popualtion of 6million would do fine on its own. Smaller EU States have preformed the best economically in the last few years.

Of course Scotland, Wales and NI would probably all opt to join the EU and thus remain in a Free Trade area with both England and ROI.

Unionist

Website
irishunionist.wetpaint.com
In the end its nothing to do with the people of the Republic.

You can hope that our great nation will die but you have NO SAY over the Union and aslong as the will of the majority is to stay in Union I am happy too!

The OD

Unionist said:

You can hope that our great nation will die but you have NO SAY over the Union and aslong as the will of the majority is to stay in Union I am happy too!
Neither has the Island of Ireland anything to do with London, but it seems intent on keeping its snout in our Island?

:?

Gael

Unionist said:

Well actually the Irish government does have a say as regards the North because of the Anglo-Irish agreement and the GFA.

jjacollins

North County wrote: Without thinking about it, if someone asked me if I'd like to see the UK dissolved, I'd say yes. But in reality what effect would it have on Ireland?
For a start, we'd have two independant states (Republic and Northern Ireland) beside each other (pending, I'd hope, a negotiated all-island federal republic).
The North can never be an independent Country, its part of our Country, only its under a foreign jurisdiction for the time being.
The deal on unity has already been done, all we are waiting for now is for time to pass so that the Irish in the North East will become the majority there aswell and then its goodbye to British interfireence in Ireland.

Its way to late for Scotland to become independent economicially anyways. It can be politicially independent if it wants but it will always need English cash.

eurocrat

Unionist said:
you have NO SAY over the Union
Yes we do. Take this senario:

1/The people of the North vote to leave the UK and join the Republic
2/ A referendum would have to be held in the Repubic to deciede if the 6 coutries can join.

Thus the Republic will decided the compesition of the UK.

As Pidge says, you are dim.

true04

emmet100 said:
I don't think Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would be able to survive economically on their own and the people there know it.
Thats right.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
true04 said:
emmet100 said:
Thats right.
Hmm.. don't think Scotland would have had much bother at all surviving as a completely independent entity.

Just imagine what a country it would be if it only had to share out the North Sea gas and oil wealth amongst 6 million people instead of 50 million.

true04

North sea oil reserves are dwindling. Scotland co-operated with the rest of the UK historically for economic, defence and other reasons.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
true04 said:
North sea oil reserves are dwindling. Scotland co-operated with the rest of the UK historically for economic, defence and other reasons.
They're dwindling now, but had Scotland been independent when they were originally discovered, then they would have been capable of a pretty damn good independent existence.

Look at Norway. They're doing all right.

mothball

true04 said:
Co-operated

As for economic reasons, it would probably have been a more intelligent move to use the £200 billion worth of proceeds that has come from the North Sea in the last thirty years to benefit Scotland instead of the whole landmass.

true04

So you think every little area that discovers oil in the world should be independent ?

There is no doubt that Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales have a very close historical, cultural and economic relationship, and this should be celebrated, if expressed in a mutually beneficial way.
Under the Statute of Westminister, I am I right in saying that commonwealth countries were able to reverse laws passed at Westminister. Does this mean that the Free State government could have repealed the Act of Union?

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
true04 said:
So you think every little area that discovers oil in the world should be independent ?
Who ever said that they believed that any little area that discovers oil should be independent.

What we are talking about is Scotland, a recognised country, one which had been independent, and which was subsumed into the United Kingdom (against the wishes of many of its people at the time, remember Braveheart?), and which remained subsumed within the United Kingdom against many of the wishes of its people for centuries after, right up to the present day.

Much the same as Ireland was, except that Ireland has since managed a partial break from the United Kingdom in the last 80 years.

Now, stop obfuscating, and address the point that you have been asked.

Do you believe, that had Scotland not been a member of the United Kingdom, when the North Sea reserves were discovered, and was still an indepenent country, that they wouldn't have been better off as a result of only having to share the benefits of the wealth generated between 6 million people rather than 50 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.