Distinct lack of urgency

Disillusioned democrat

Listening to Brian Cowen's "interview" on TWIP last night I got the distinct impression that he doesn't feel under any obligation to finish up the business of getting the budget legislation complete as soon as possible to expedite an election. he seemed to waffle on about maybe Feb, maybe Mar, but no sense of urgency.

What are the Green Party going to do about that, or are they going to u-turn again?

Broke

Listening to Brian Cowen's "interview" on TWIP last night I got the distinct impression that he doesn't feel under any obligation to finish up the business of getting the budget legislation complete as soon as possible to expedite an election. he seemed to waffle on about maybe Feb, maybe Mar, but no sense of urgency.

What are the Green Party going to do about that, or are they going to u-turn again?
I think the FF backbenchers will put the knife into him after the budget.

RedSperanza

What happens if the budget does not pass? Can the opposition parties force a renegotiation of bail out deal if they defeat the budget?

Northtipp

I think the FF backbenchers will put the knife into him after the budget.
I hope you are right but I dont think so. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas and these guys will want to string this out as long as possible before going to the polls

paddywhack

April more likely to maximise his own pension benefits.

Disillusioned democrat

The green party will do a u - turn about the election in the national interest
I have to admit I'm beginning to think they just might....they've been awfully quite for the past week, and now that the deal is done they may percieve that the worst is over and that THEIR best interest is served by hanging on. They have already demonstrated an uncanny ability to be "flexible", so 2012 may begin to look possible.

Brian Cowen scared me last night because he was still talking like a man who believed he had work to do, problems to solve and without a gun to his head.....denial obviously, but still.

collina

He's earning around 8K a weak.

Nothing, they're milking it at both ends; seeming to bring the government down for political reaons, while hanging on to office for the huge salaries.

H.R. Haldeman

What happens if the budget does not pass? Can the opposition parties force a renegotiation of bail out deal if they defeat the budget?
The budget will pass. The opposition parties know they'd be crucified in the court of public opinion if there's a perception of playing politics with the it. And also because they all know that the FF budget would be 95% the same as the FG/Lab one anyway.

But notwithstanding that, there would be no renegotiation wth Europe anyway. Primarily because the budget is just a side-show and doesn't really matter in the big picture. A few million here and there difference between the parties, blah blah. It makes no difference. The numbers that separate the main parties are infinitesimal compared to the overall package. The only "negotiation" that might happen is Noonan calling Rehn and asking if they can keep the minimum wage for another year. Rehn's response will be: "Meh, woteva". None of it makes any substantive difference.

New Threads

Most Replies