Ditch Northern Ireland - 211 million a week for NHS

noodles

A quick piece of arithmatic on the Northern Ireland subvention tells me that the UK could spend 211 million a week on the NHS if it dumped Northern Ireland.

Consider the chaos of Brexit and the destruction of industry, financial sector and living standards to save 350 million for the NHS.

Scissors to NI and you have a good chunk of the cash required

Tribal

If UKip are planning a reboot you should drop them a line!:lol:

noodles

Would be funny if Sinn Fein could stump up the price of a few busses with that figure on the brexit posters.....

noodles

11 billion a year subvention.

Its surprising how close it is to the 350 million.

If the average brit on the street realised that NI is costing them 211 million a week then the worm could turn quickly.

asset test

And who will take NI on instead, us in ROI?

Grand so. Sure it will cost us nothing. All free.

raetsel

Ah, but are the figures factual?
Not too far away providing that you accept UK Treasury figures for the annual subvention - which I don't. I suspect that it's less. Very difficult to quantify objectively, and perfidious Albion is ever capable of porkies.:p

Gin Soaked

11 billion a year subvention.

Its surprising how close it is to the 350 million.

If the average brit on the street realised that NI is costing them 211 million a week then the worm could turn quickly.
It has long turned. A referendum on keeping NI in England would be a landslide... just as well they are not consulted.

I'd say 15 years of the dosh up front would be a good deal for us. It would take 20 years to rehabilitate the place and we'd need to do something about who is contributing to the 4% population growth there.

The Nationalists would be fine, but the fleggers, jaysus....

noodles

Im not saying we take them on. Just saying it would be funny if the british people knew the true cost of holding on to NI

noodles

Europe and the states would pony up as well. Money from Europe and 30000 peace keeping troops from US.

asset test

Im not saying we take them on. Just saying it would be funny if the british people knew the true cost of holding on to NI
That's a relief.

Most Brits haven't a clue about NI. I have been following some UK forums and the ignorance was shocking when DUP got into bed with May. Stunned I was honestly.

razorblade

Only some idiots in the north consider themselves Brits, the rest of the UK, see them as Irish.

asset test

Only some idiots in the north consider themselves Brits, the rest of the UK, see them as Irish.
Judging by what I have been reading from UK, I think you have hit the nail on the head regarding how many in the UK view NI.

Tribal

I'm in north England and I regularly get asked about Northern Ireland to which I often reply "isn't is a part of the UK? you tell me!"

asset test

I'm in north England and I regularly get asked about Northern Ireland to which I often reply "isn't is a part of the UK? you tell me!"
I'm actually very interested in how UK view NI.

What is their answer?

darkhorse

England is getting increasing tired of paying for its satellite nations to stay involved - and the Brexit vote shows that
Ultimately Scotland and NI will break away imv - they are culturally very different to the English
Hard to know about the Welsh, there are a lot of English living there and the original Welsh don't seem to have an independence streak - maybe for cultural or religious reasons

New Threads

Most Replies