Divorce Refererndum Likely Next Year

General Urko

Mods, I haven't seen anything on this using the search facility, but please merge, if necessary.
One of the matters to emerge from the Great Blueshirt think-in is that we are likely to have a divorce referendumin 2018 on making divorces easier to get by reducing the waiting period.
I cannot post any link @ the moment.
AFAIK Leo has actually stated it himself.

Also Stats have just come out in the last few days that the number of divorces is actually up due to people being forced to stay 'married' during the economic downturn and their circumstances changing as of late, making it possible for them to move on.

While I supported both previous referendums on the topic and of course the minutiae of the next referendum hasn't been published yet, is it a good idea to make divorces easy to obtain?

Catalpast

Mods, I haven't seen anything on this using the search facility, but please merge, if necessary.
One of the matters to emerge from the Great Blueshirt think-in is that we are likely to have a divorce referendumin 2018 on making divorces easier to get by reducing the waiting period.

Also Stats have just come out in the last few days that the number of divorces is actually up due to people being forced to stay 'married' during the economic downturn and their circumstances changing as of late, making it possible for them to move on.

While I supported both previous referendums on the topic and of course the minutiae of the next referendum hasn't been published yet, is it a good idea to make divorces easy to obtain?
Why would we need one

- there is already a Constitutional amendment allowing for it

- so why another?

ruserious

They should be as easy to get married in the first place. No reason why not. Don't concern yourself in other people's relationships. I can't honestly see an argument as to why you'd force other people to be married longer than they want to be.

General Urko

Why would we need one

- there is already a Constitutional amendment allowing for it

- so why another?
I guess to make it easier to obtain, the constitution has to be changed.
While I think virtually nothing is worse for children than being in an environment where their parents are destroying each other, having too easy a way out for those parents isn't great either!
Marriage is tough and encouraging people to work out difficulties that arise rather than running as quick as, is surely a good idea, unless you are in total breakdown.

ger12

Because you think couples are less likely to divorce if there's a longer wait period? Are they happier though?

General Urko

They should be as easy to get married in the first place. No reason why not. Don't concern yourself in other people's relationships. I can't honestly see an argument as to why you'd force other people to be married longer than they want to be.
Children?

General Urko

Because you think couples are less likely to divorce if there's a longer wait period? Are they happier though?
It encourages them to have a go at working things out and not just running out at the first sign of an issue.

Gin Soaked

Marriage has heed devalued through tax individualisation.

4 years is too long though..

ruserious

Children?
Better to have children grow up in a home where the parents hate each other, shout every night, but are married? Feck that. Allow them have a divorce and then they can amicably decide on shared custody.

General Urko

BTW I heard it on Newstalk's News.

General Urko

Better to have children grow up in a home where the parents hate each other, shout every night, but are married? Feck that. Allow them have a divorce and then they can amicably decide on shared custody.
We might be losing marriages that can work by making divorces to easy to get!

GDPR

What are you blathering about, you chimp? Unless you can link to specific proposals, there is nothing to discuss.

midlander12

Well, they've already a GE, an abortion referendum and a presidential election penciled in for next year (the latter being unavoidable), not to mention BREXIT, so it's simply unimaginable that they will have a divorce referendum as well. This is the sort of typical kite-flying that goes on at these things.

In principle, I would agree with shortening the waiting period (for civil partnerships I think it was 2 years) but I don't see it as a huge issue and for a weak govt with a lot on its plate already, it's a non-runner for a few more years.

ShoutingIsLeadership

We might be losing marriages that can work by making divorces to easy to get!

People don't just divorce. They separate first and then divorce. This would sensibly remove the restrictive Terms and Conditions from our constitution, and allow the Oireachtas to legislate for it.

General Urko

Marriages where the parents are at each others' throats obviously cannot be saved!
But perhaps others along way from that level can be.
So it's a question of finding the appropriate time and there could be a grading level leading to nightmare marriages being allowed to be dissolved much more quickly!

Dame_Enda

5 years is too long but on the other hand, if its too short it will further devalue marriage whether straight or gay.

I think in some ways this is a sop to the upper classes who can better afford frequent divorces.

mr_anderson

I'm of the opinion that there should be no waiting period when there are no kids from the relationship.

Conversely, I'm in favour of waiting periods when there are kids.

I'm watching a kid go through a divorce (between their parents) at the moment.
Having a parent introduce them to their new partner does not help them in the least.
In all honesty, it fúcks them up.

In a divorce, the kid(s) must be the priority.

General Urko

What are you blathering about, you chimp? Unless you can link to specific proposals, there is nothing to discuss.
Twoz on newstalk, oddly my computer is not allowing me to access many sites @ the mo, P.ie for some reason is one that I can always get into.

BTW what are the general rules re divorce in Nordieland?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies