DIY abortions in Ireland

Wednesday

Website
ceadaoin.blogspot.com
Customs seized 1,216 packs of illegal abortion drugs in 2009 - The Irish Times - Tue, Oct 26, 2010

Clinics such as the Marie Stopes Reproductive Choices, and a number of GPs who have declined to comment, say they have seen an increase in women seeking assistance after taking these drugs. In many cases, they say women affected said they could not afford to travel abroad for an abortion or, in the case of immigrant women, felt unable to leave the country due to their residency status.
Looks like we're not just "exporting" the problem anymore.

Mar Tweedy

Thenumbers of women recording Irish home addresses having abortions in the UK and Holland has gone down the last few years. The drop in number precedes the crash and as it didn't make sense that more women would conceal their Irish addresses, it looked like the numbers of Irish women travelling abroad had gone down which I think the Crisis Pregnancy Agency were particularly pleased about because it looked like their work was having an effect.

Maybe this explains part of the drop in numbers of women travelling. I'm totally pro-choice for entirely pragmatic reasons - whatever moral position I might privately hold it's going to happen whether legal or not and it should be safe and available so that women aren't vulnerable to damage caused by, for example, illegal drugs bought unofficially like this.

It's time legislation for the limited abortion mandated by the constitutional amendment to be put on the books.

Last edited:

rubensni

They seized 1,200 packs? This is merely the tip of the iceberg then.

fluffykontbiscuits

I would imagine the vast majority of these women were in dire straights and that they felt this was the only option to them. As much as the pro life lobby will witter on about pain etc think about it, wouldnt it be more humane to use anesthetic and abort the foetus than having a young woman take drugs which could harm her and the feoetus feel pain? I think Mar Tweedy sums it up perfectly, regardless of whatever your moral view points its going to come in (i.e. abortion) in the near future,certainly in the next ten to twenty years.

Cruimh

I would imagine the vast majority of these women were in dire straights and that they felt this was the only option to them. As much as the pro life lobby will witter on about pain etc think about it, wouldnt it be more humane to use anesthetic and abort the foetus than having a young woman take drugs which could harm her and the feoetus feel pain?
These drugs are meant to be used before 8 weeks for abortion mate. Later on they can be used to induce labour.

fluffykontbiscuits

These drugs are meant to be used before 8 weeks for abortion mate. Later on they can be used to induce labour.
Ah cheers Cruimh, I wasnt aware of that! I wonder what circumstances the women were in who tried the DIY abortions

Ah, here we go again - 'dire straits,' and 'crisis' pregnancies - Emotional phrases used to justify killing the unborn child.

fluffykontbiscuits

Ah, here we go again - 'dire straits,' and 'crisis' pregnancies - Emotional phrases used to justify killing the unborn child.
Thats it let them grow up in a junkie household with lice crawling all over them and starving, sure tis better to live in poverty than to never have a chance at all....

TonyBird

We wouldnt have these ridiculous threads if the masses were sterilized . Sterilize the masses already ! C'mon wake up . You know it makes sense .

ellie08

We wouldnt have these ridiculous threads if the masses were sterilized . Sterilize the masses already ! C'mon wake up . You know it makes sense .
Generally, the people you want sterilized are not the ones going for abortions. Are you one of the masses? Are you going to volunteer for sterilization?

TonyBird

Generally, the people you want sterilized are not the ones going for abortions. Are you one of the masses? Are you going to volunteer for sterilization?
I was being a little sarcastic but I am beginining to wonder about 'the sanctity of life' when I see so much ignorance , pain and degradation among the 'living' .Logically of course , if the 'living' screw things up , then its not looking so good for the unborn is it ? Sterilization would at least eliminate the tedious charade of 'the abortion debate' .

ellie08

I was being a little sarcastic but I am beginining to wonder about 'the sanctity of life' when I see so much ignorance , pain and degradation among the 'living' .Logically of course , if the 'living' screw things up , then its not looking so good for the unborn is it ? Sterilization would at least eliminate the tedious charade of 'the abortion debate' .
What if you were deemed 'undesirable' and were on the list for sterilization? Would you like that? You'll find that many women who have abortions are not just young teenagers, there are married women, business women, all types for all different reasons. It's an unpleasant reality and it's happening every day.

Macy

Abortion is happening either through export or importation of drugs. The evidence continues to suggest the moral argument is already lost, it's about protecting the women who make the choice.

TonyBird

What if you were deemed 'undesirable' and were on the list for sterilization? Would you like that? You'll find that many women who have abortions are not just young teenagers, there are married women, business women, all types for all different reasons. It's an unpleasant reality and it's happening every day.
I know . I shouldnt joke on the issue . Of course I dont believe in sterilization . Im just not optimistic about ever sorting out the abortion issue to everyones satisfaction .

ellie08

I know . I shouldnt joke on the issue . Of course I dont believe in sterilization . Im just not optimistic about ever sorting out the abortion issue to everyones satisfaction .
It's very sad and age old dilemma.

Sean O'Brian

Thats it let them grow up in a junkie household with lice crawling all over them and starving, sure tis better to live in poverty than to never have a chance at all....
You sound like Ebeneezer Scrooge. People without money are not better off dead.

jimwin

A here we go again - more claptrap about 'killing the unborn child'. Emotional phrase used to justify the denial of a woman's right to choose

ellie08

If it's done best it be done as early as possible - and best practice is a scan to make sure pregnant, before 8 weeks and not ectopic, with decent aftercare in reach if and when there are problems.
Better still, the morning after pill to be available in pharmacies like in England instead of having to pay 50 quid to go to the doctor. Better still if men would also take responsibility for their actions and cover up. Listening to some debates, you'd swear all these pregnancies were caused by supernatural means without a man in sight.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies