DIY abortions in Ireland

SilverSpurs

First of all congrats to customs who knows how many lives they have saved. To be honest it was slightly suspicious that the number of women giving irish addresses in british abortion clinics had dropped. I had put it down to a clampdown on british women giving irish addresses to get preferential treatment. but it now looks like i was wrong.
The usual spin from the pro-abortion lobby about "desperate women" to divert attention away from the ugly truth of abortion. Most abortions are done for convenience and career reasons, a handful are for "desperate" reasons but even tragic circumstances dont justify the deatrh of an innocent thrid party.

jimwin

these should just legislate for abortion in this modern democracy.

Cruimh

Better still, the morning after pill to be available in pharmacies like in England instead of having to pay 50 quid to go to the doctor. Better still if men would also take responsibility for their actions and cover up. Listening to some debates, you'd swear all these pregnancies were caused by supernatural means without a man in sight.
Bit of a sexist assumption that all these pregnancies happened because no contraception was used by men ellie. But that aside, better contraception and availability of MA pill would be an improvement.

ellie08

Bit of a sexist assumption that all these pregnancies happened because no contraception was used by men ellie. But that aside, better contraception and availability of MA pill would be an improvement.
I said would also need to take responsibility.

I wonder has our drinking culture a lot to do with unplanned pregnancies? Just a thought.

Sean O'Brian

Im not saying that but their quality of life would be ************************e
True but most people in most times and places have not had an excellent quality of life. For over a thousand years most Europeans lived in poverty. No one in Ireland nowadays starves, except hunger-strikers.

fluffykontbiscuits

True but most people in most times and places have not had an excellent quality of life. For over a thousand years most Europeans lived in poverty. No one in Ireland nowadays starves, except hunger-strikers.
Its a question of what you believe really. Should a child grow up in an environment where they could live a terrible life of drugs, crime and not have a childhood or should we stop the life before it begins if we are certain the child is going to lead a terrible existence? OK I will concede in the vast majority of cases it will be impossible to tell but what about the cases where you do know?

Sean O'Brian

OK I will concede in the vast majority of cases it will be impossible to tell but what about the cases where you do know?
In those cases I still wouldn't agree to termination. People on drugs can stop taking drugs and people from poor backgrounds can and do go on to great things. There's always hope for a better existence. I'd say the same thing to someone thinking about committing suicide.

Sean O'Brian

Hope by Emily Dickinson

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

fluffykontbiscuits

In those cases I still wouldn't agree to termination. People on drugs can stop taking drugs and people from poor backgrounds can and do go on to great things. There's always hope for a better existence. I'd say the same thing to someone thinking about committing suicide.
There is always hope for a better existence but judging from what I see every day on Talbot St there doesnt seem to be much hope. I can appreciate the sentiments from Emily Dickinson, very uplifting poem and Im a fairly positive person but again seeing Ireland's people with the way they are I do wonder....

niropiro

If a woman has an abortion what should the punishment be?

Someone asks a group of pro-life anti-abortion demonstrators the hard questions.

Enjoy:lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk6t_tdOkwo]YouTube - Libertyville Abortion Demonstration[/ame]

punchdrunk

Thenumbers of women recording Irish home addresses having abortions in the UK and Holland has gone down the last few years. The drop in number precedes the crash and as it didn't make sense that more women would conceal their Irish addresses, it looked like the numbers of Irish women travelling abroad had gone down which I think the Crisis Pregnancy Agency were particularly pleased about because it looked like their work was having an effect.

Maybe this explains part of the drop in numbers of women travelling. I'm totally pro-choice for entirely pragmatic reasons - whatever moral position I might privately hold it's going to happen whether legal or not and it should be safe and available so that women aren't vulnerable to damage caused by, for example, illegal drugs bought unofficially like this.

It's time legislation for the limited abortion mandated by the constitutional amendment to be put on the books.
Abortion is wrong because it intentionally kills innocent human beings. Thou shall not kill.

niropiro

Drop the red herrings and the what aboutry (sic)
Abortion is wrong because it intentionally kills innocent human beings. Thats it.
That's just your opinion.
If you don't want an abortion don't have one and mind your own business.
Women have a right to choose and millions choose to have abortions every year around the world.
It is high time people in Ireland grew up.

Mar Tweedy

Abortion is wrong because it intentionally kills innocent human beings. Thou shall not kill.
I'm not getting into a debate whether abortion is killing or not. I think the tone about poverty and whether the putative children are better off dead is horrible. I have my own misgivings about abortion but I am a pragmatist. Until we live in a world where every child really is valued equally and where every pregnancy is welcomed because there are no real desperate situations and where the responsibility of children is shared equally fact is pregnant women will seek abortions. I want those women who decide that is their only option to be safe and not have to risk their lives or long-term health to do so. I think most Irish people do have misgivings about abortion but recognise the reality of the choices that women have to make. The recent Irish Times survey found that a majority would support a female friend or relative in that situation. Black and white doesn't exist in this world.

Ingersoll

Women have a right to choose and millions choose to have abortions every year around the world.
+1 -

It's not like we are in any position to take the moral high-ground on any position I would say.

Damn right - 'if you don't want an abortion don't have one'

punchdrunk

I'm not getting into a debate whether abortion is killing or not. I think the tone about poverty and whether the putative children are better off dead is horrible. I have my own misgivings about abortion but I am a pragmatist. Until we live in a world where every child really is valued equally and where every pregnancy is welcomed because there are no real desperate situations and where the responsibility of children is shared equally fact is pregnant women will seek abortions. I want those women who decide that is their only option to be safe and not have to risk their lives or long-term health to do so. I think most Irish people do have misgivings about abortion but recognise the reality of the choices that women have to make. The recent Irish Times survey found that a majority would support a female friend or relative in that situation. Black and white doesn't exist in this world.
Lets be brief. It is a black and white issue. There is no room for what aboutery. Abortion is wrong because it INTENTIONALLY KILLS innocent human beings. Thou shall not kill. Public opinion polls in the Irish Times do not alter that reality.

jimwin

bravo

Mar Tweedy

Lets be brief. It is a black and white issue. There is no room for what aboutery. Abortion is wrong because it INTENTIONALLY KILLS innocent human beings. Thou shall not kill. Public opinion polls in the Irish Times do not alter that reality.
No indeed public opinion polls do not alter your beliefs but what the rest of the 4 million of us in the country think should matter in a republic, no? Or do you want the country to run only in line with the truth according to punchdrunk?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies