DIY stuff

blokesbloke

Hello Piesters

I thought a DIY forum might be helpful. For everyone of course, but mainly for me. Of course.

Anyway so I have an IKEA storage unit thingy and I want to put speakers on the shelving, but it's backed with very thin... I dunno MDF, plywood, something like that.

I just need to put the speaker wire through which is quite thin. The backing is just tacked on with little nails, I don't know whether to pull that back slightly with a knife or whether to make little holes in it, but I don't know how to make the little holes without it all splitting.

Any ideas?

hollandia

Hello Piesters

I thought a DIY forum might be helpful. For everyone of course, but mainly for me. Of course.

Anyway so I have an IKEA storage unit thingy and I want to put speakers on the shelving, but it's backed with very thin... I dunno MDF, plywood, something like that.

I just need to put the speaker wire through which is quite thin. The backing is just tacked on with little nails, I don't know whether to pull that back slightly with a knife or whether to make little holes in it, but I don't know how to make the little holes without it all splitting.

Any ideas?
Use a drill.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Hello Piesters

Any ideas?
Get a steak knife and twirl it round and round until you make a hole. Works for hard bread and dried out pork chops too.

blokesbloke

Get a steak knife and twirl it round and round until you make a hole. Works for hard bread and dried out pork chops too.
Is this a serious suggestion?

Why do I get the impression my absolute beginning status as a DIYer is being mocked here?

wombat

Look at You Tube, not P.ie:lol:

wombat

Well yes but I was worried it might be too much for such thin wood and it would go all splintery.
Most likely its MDF and it won't splinter, seriously, there will be a video on You Tube for virtually any DIY task.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Is this a serious suggestion?

Why do I get the impression my absolute beginning status as a DIYer is being mocked here?
Are you a McGyver or a McCryver?

You won't have access to power tools after Brexit you know!

:lol:

Conor_Myers

Blokesbloke - if you're going to start a DIY thread (especially with your nomenclature) you need a decent introductory task. Something like this:

My outdoor step has a beautiful tiling job on it but when it rains it's lethal - we've already had two hospitalisations. I bit the bullet and chiselled all the tiles off but I'm now wondering where to go from here.

There is still loads of rock hard glue or grout stuck to the step and I don't know whether to try and get this all off, retile the step with non-slip tiles, apply fresh concrete and paint or just paint over the texture feature.

(By the way Blokesbloke - how do you start a discussion thread on here?)

blokesbloke

Blokesbloke - if you're going to start a DIY thread (especially with your nomenclature) you need a decent introductory task. Something like this:

My outdoor step has a beautiful tiling job on it but when it rains it's lethal - we've already had two hospitalisations. I bit the bullet and chiselled all the tiles off but I'm now wondering where to go from here.

There is still loads of rock hard glue or grout stuck to the step and I don't know whether to try and get this all off, retile the step with non-slip tiles, apply fresh concrete and paint or just paint over the texture feature.

(By the way Blokesbloke - how do you start a discussion thread on here?)
Hello Conor.

You appear an interesting chap.

You cannot start threads (which are actually known as "freds" here for no reason which makes any sense) when you've over 100 posts.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Well yes but I was worried it might be too much for such thin wood and it would go all splintery.
Put a square of elephant tape on both sides and that should keep it neat on both sides. Also you could get a 5mm drill bit and a rubber gromet that would fit the hole and look pro.

Socratus O' Pericles

Hello Piesters

Any ideas?
Brad awl.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies