• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

DJ sacked for cracking a joke and asking a question - PC & Feminism gone mental?

cathalbrugha

A DJ working at a rock radio station in Canada gets sacked for asking a woman how she felt being a MILF gets sacked, despite the fact that she found the question funny and responded in kind. Is it Politcal Correctness gone mad? Is it some form of extreme feminism? Thou shall not laugh? Thou shall not respond to laughter with laughter?

Quote - The Vancouver Sun..

DJ who asked B.C. premier her thoughts on being a "MILF" is fired by Courtenay radio station

VICTORIA — A Courtenay radio station has fired the radio host who asked B.C. Premier Christy Clark a sexually charged question on air last month.

In a mid-December interview, Wilcomes asked the premier, on behalf of a listener, what it’s like to be a “MILF” — a lewd acronym that references a mother’s sexual attractiveness.

Clark laughed at the question, and replied that it was better to be a MILF than a cougar — a term that references an older woman on the prowl for a young partner.

“I work at a rock station,” he was quoted as saying. “We do entertainment and comedy. ...

controller

I'm sure some of the PC brigade will be along shortly to defend this sacking......

Sync

It was more the identity of the person he asked (Basically the equivalent of London's mayor) that seems to be the problem. The station decided they didn't want to maintain the contract of someone who asked such a question of a politician they wanted on their station.

As long as it was a lawful termination I don't see the issue. The station are free to set their broadcasting agenda surely?

statsman

A DJ working at a rock radio station in Canada gets sacked for asking a woman how she felt being a MILF gets sacked, despite the fact that she found the question funny and responded in kind. Is it Politcal Correctness gone mad? Is it some form of extreme feminism? Thou shall not laugh? Thou shall not respond to laughter with laughter?

Quote - The Vancouver Sun..

DJ who asked B.C. premier her thoughts on being a "MILF" is fired by Courtenay radio station

VICTORIA — A Courtenay radio station has fired the radio host who asked B.C. Premier Christy Clark a sexually charged question on air last month.

In a mid-December interview, Wilcomes asked the premier, on behalf of a listener, what it’s like to be a “MILF” — a lewd acronym that references a mother’s sexual attractiveness.

Clark laughed at the question, and replied that it was better to be a MILF than a cougar — a term that references an older woman on the prowl for a young partner.

“I work at a rock station,” he was quoted as saying. “We do entertainment and comedy. ...
If the DJ feels the dismissal was unfair under Canadian employment law, has he taken a case?

Without access to his contract of employment, the company's policies and procedures relevant Canadian law, who can say if the dismissal was justified or not?

slippy wicket

If the women found it funny and got in on the joke well I can't see anything wrong with what he did.
PC nazis gone mad.

Clanrickard

Milf? She is only 47 You decide.................

controller

It was more the identity of the person he asked (Basically the equivalent of London's mayor) that seems to be the problem. The station decided they didn't want to maintain the contract of someone who asked such a question of a politician they wanted on their station. As long as it was a lawful termination I don't see the issue. The station are free to set their broadcasting agenda surely?
told ya.........those with no backbone are always the first to agree with the pc brigade

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
I'm sure some of the PC brigade will be along shortly to defend this sacking......
You seem to have no idea what PC is, its liberal language conformity to prevent a person expressing certain ideas, this man was sacked for being rude and disrespectful to a guest. For lacking decorum and manners.

petaljam

I have no strong feelings about the sacking, I guess it depends on his T&C as someone said, but I am surprised that the issue is being presented (here) as mainly about feminism. I think it is about whether or not it is acceptable for a DJ to ask personal questions of a politician.

The other argument would be that by appearing on that kind of show she was accepting that that was the level at which she would be interviewed, so maybe she, or her advisers, should be criticized for that.

But if a male politician had been asked whether at his age he could still get it up, for instance, what would the reaction have been? And would it have been posted about here under a title about PC and machismo?

cathalbrugha

If the DJ feels the dismissal was unfair under Canadian employment law, has he taken a case?

Without access to his contract of employment, the company's policies and procedures relevant Canadian law, who can say if the dismissal was justified or not?
Imo it's off the wall that he got the sack. Even if she had've been offended all he had to do was say sorry. It was a rock station. The fact that she took it for what it was, makes it even more bizarre. I can just imagine the reaction in Ireland if someone asked a politican a question like that. Some would be outraged, I wonder if any of them would take it as a joke? I don't think anyone should deliberately offend someone, but taking someones livelihood away over something so petty is imo absolutely mental. She should've perhaps taken it as a compliment, as well as a joke.. I think the right thing to do would be for her to insist on him being re-instated, but if I was in his shoes I'd keep walkin'..

statsman

Imo it's off the wall that he got the sack. Even if she had've been offended all he had to do was say sorry. It was a rock station. The fact that she took it for what it was, makes it even more bizarre. I can just imagine the reaction in Ireland if someone asked a politican a question like that. Some would be outraged, I wonder if any of them would take it as a joke? I don't think anyone should deliberately offend someone, but taking someones livelihood away over something so petty is imo absolutely mental. She should've perhaps taken it as a compliment, as well as a joke.. I think the right thing to do would be for her to insist on him being re-instated, but if I was in his shoes I'd keep walkin'..
So, you've read his contract?

EndDiddlyaism

Personally, I cannot think of a single politician in Ireland that could justifiably be asked that question:D

Anyway, our politicians, both male and female, f~c# us, not the other way around!

tinyd

She should've perhaps taken it as a compliment, as well as a joke.
Bloody feminists, eh? No sense of humour. I remember the days when a women could consider herself lucky to be told that you wanted to f**k her.

Things have moved on, you might want to get out of the '70s.

cathalbrugha

The other argument would be that by appearing on that kind of show she was accepting that that was the level at which she would be interviewed, so maybe she, or her advisers, should be criticized for that.

But if a male politician had been asked whether at his age he could still get it up, for instance, what would the reaction have been? And would it have been posted about here under a title about PC and machismo?
I think you're right about the first part. If you enter a public house, you're going to meet people who are drunk and obnoxious. Simple as that. If that offends you, don't go, no?

The second part, as to whether or not it's appropriate to ask someone 'can you still get it up', would be more like asking someone 'can i ride ya?'.. which would of course be offensive and inappropriate, even on a rock station.. The same way as asking someone 'how does it feel to be a slapper?' .. That's obviously taking the pish.

Futuristic Irish Female DJ- can you still get it up? 'can i ride ya?'

Politican -No comment..

Clanrickard

Not quite the same thing. The DJ basically said she was hot. She took it as a compliment.

Bloody feminists, eh? No sense of humour. I remember the days when a women could consider herself lucky to be told that you wanted to f**k her.

Things have moved on, you might want to get out of the '70s.
Man finds woman attractive. Man says to woman she is attractive. Po faced priggish easily offended types get the hump.

Lempo

More correctly he should have been asked about him being considered sexy by (younger) females if we want to make a direct comparison to a woman's feelings being generally viewed as a Milf. There's not an appropriate acronym with a dirty word for that, though, which probably is the problem here.

Or vice versa, had she been asked about if she still can get wet enough down there we might be more in the impotence section. Just imagine a reaction to that.

Sync

I think you're right about the first part. If you enter a public house, you're going to meet people who are drunk and obnoxious. Simple as that. If that offends you, don't go, no?

The second part, as to whether or not it's appropriate to ask someone 'can you still get it up', would be more like asking someone 'can i ride ya?'.. which would of course be offensive and inappropriate, even on a rock station.. The same way as asking someone 'how does it feel to be a slapper?' .. That's obviously taking the pish.

Futuristic Irish Female DJ- can you still get it up? 'can i ride ya?'

Politican -No comment..
The specifics of what he said aren't relevant. I don't find it offensive, but then I'm not paying the guy so I don't matter.

The guy was employed by a media outlet. He's made statements on air while representing the station that the media outlet found to be out of line with their position. They terminated his contract, presumably to bring someone in who reflects the outlet's agenda, or viewpoint or position or whatever.

The guy has a right to free speech. The station have the right to employ people who will broadcast in line with their agenda. Neither of those positions are infringed by this termination. As long as it's been handled legally there's no issue here at all.

cathalbrugha

Personally, I cannot think of a single politician in Ireland that could justifiably be asked that question:D

Anyway, our politicians, both male and female, f~c# us, not the other way around!
Your just not sick enough in the head..

On a serious level it's actually true, the politicans screw the people, and then the people are gagged..