DNA Databases

Garda

Overall I am in favour of a DNA database. I personally have no problem with my DNA being taken and stored.

People need to realise however that it wont solve all crime but a small amount of it. You need to also realise that DNA itself does not convict a person and if a scenario as above existed a decent alibi or no further evidence against you would be enough to avoid even being charged. As long as that situation remains, ie the burden of proof, Im happy to let a DNA database exist.

needle_too

Garda said:
Overall I am in favour of a DNA database. I personally have no problem with my DNA being taken and stored.

People need to realise however that it wont solve all crime but a small amount of it. You need to also realise that DNA itself does not convict a person and if a scenario as above existed a decent alibi or no further evidence against you would be enough to avoid even being charged. As long as that situation remains, ie the burden of proof, Im happy to let a DNA database exist.
pfff....dumb as a post.

If youre that happy why dont you go ahead and do it - why wait for legislation? Have you submitted your DNA to the UK and US govts?

If not, why not?

DNA databases are not primarily used for crime detection - they are used to stratify and define populations.

As another poster mentioned I'd be delighted to have Bertie and the Guards having access to my DNA.

I'd only be a matter of time before some copper sold the details to some company of govt.

Besides if they only solve a minimal amount of crime why bother going to all that expense?

Fionn_McCool

Garda said:

DNA is far more than a sophisticated fingerprint.

It is the blueprint for your very existence and contains sensitive personal information on your health, probable longevity, possible future illnesses and hidden recessive illnesses. How your personal blueprint may be used in the future has the most profound ethical implications for individuals, families and society in general.

Presently genetic information can be used in ways that could negatively affect your chances of employment or your chances of getting life insurance.

In the future, when it is decoded fully, it could be used to stratify society in ways which may not be to your liking. ie… who should be allowed to breed or who is worth treating medically.

Giving all your genetic data to a government database today is an act of faith in the good intentions of every government you will live under until the day you die.

Considering how ‘secure’ personal data of 25 million Britons was handled recently should prompt most sensible people to keep their genetic information strictly private.

Garda

needle_too said:
Garda said:

pfff....dumb as a post.

If youre that happy why dont you go ahead and do it - why wait for legislation? Have you submitted your DNA to the UK and US govts?

If not, why not?

DNA databases are not primarily used for crime detection - they are used to stratify and define populations.

As another poster mentioned I'd be delighted to have Bertie and the Guards having access to my DNA.

I'd only be a matter of time before some copper sold the details to some company of govt.

Besides if they only solve a minimal amount of crime why bother going to all that expense?
Have you any evidence of any of this or have you been watching 1984 again?

I also fail to see why I would hand over my DNA to foreign governments concerned with nations I dont enter. Please explain why I would do this or in fact, why they would want it?

I have already said why I am in favour, simple put because clearly your didnt read the entire thread. I am in favour vecause I believe that the cons are outwighed by the pros even if it only solves 1 single rape, which could prevent multiple future attacks.

As for selling this information, again your talking about maybes in the future and when has information held by Gardai been sold to companies or government departments?

Your comments are nothing more than blind paranoia and accusations.

farnaby

I could live with having my DNA stored in a state-maintained database if I was convinced about its accuracy and integrity, i.e. that my sample/data could not be mixed with anyone else's and that release of the data would be strictly controlled within the public service. It's not idle cynicism to doubt that this could ever occur here, considering:
- the electoral register fiasco
- some major decables re: the governance of public system development projects in areas relevant to a DNA database - PPARS (health), PULSE (justice)
- indirectly, crises from the blood transfusion to the midlands breast cancer scandals have dented public confidence in the state's ability to provide top-class performance in highly sensitive medically-related areas

That's a no from me then.

needle_too

Garda said:
needle_too said:

I also fail to see why I would hand over my DNA to foreign governments concerned with nations I dont enter. Please explain why I would do this or in fact, why they would want it?
I dont know. Why do they want biometric data?
For that matter, why do you want it?

Garda said:
I have already said why I am in favour, simple put because clearly your didnt read the entire thread. I am in favour vecause I believe that the cons are outwighed by the pros even if it only solves 1 single rape, which could prevent multiple future attacks.
So could a change in the law.

Garda said:
As for selling this information, again your talking about maybes in the future and when has information held by Gardai been sold to companies or government departments?
'Maybes' in the future?
Thats enough for me pal.
Sure I'd love to sign up to something where nothing like that will happen except for 'maybe in the future'.

Dont you have a problem with personal details and insurance companies, for example?
What if it was personal DNA that was being sold to insurance companies?
What about Donegal? Abbeylara? Any of those 'crimes' been solved yet?

Halfwits like you are the reason that the Gardai shouldnt have access to personal information.

Garda said:
Your comments are nothing more than blind paranoia and accusations.
My comments are informed and educated.

Garda

Ha ha ha Needle,
Questions to answer questions brilliant!

Again I ask, what proof is there of misuse of the DNA databases currently in existence?

What purpose is there is giving my DNA to a foreign nation? why even mention the US?

Abbeylara, yes it was solved. The mentally unstable person that shot at Gardai was shot himself. Of course in that situation you would have been able to handle it so well wouldnt you? Dont start with that rubbish, the usual backwards step. You cant answer the questions put too you so you throw them in, how about Mayday while your at it?

Donegal, yes its been repaired. Want me to travel back in time?

And your comments are exactly as stated, paranoid. Simple because you have failed to provide any proof of a DNA database being misused or a case of Gardai selling information to private companies. You have not backed up any statement with fact or proof.

Dont bother responding until you have.

The OD

Is Kevin Lennon posting on p.ie?????

(See above!)

needle_too

Garda said:
Ha ha ha Needle,
Questions to answer questions brilliant!
Garda said:

Please explain why I would do this or in fact, why they would want it?

oink, oink, oink, 'Garda',

Try reading your own posts before you make a complete dickhead out of yourself.

Garda said:
Again I ask, what proof is there of misuse of the DNA databases currently in existence?
Proof, unfortunately for you, only occurs after an offence has occured.
What 'proof' is there of anything before it occurs - you're getting a little paranoid there yourself piglet.

Garda said:
What purpose is there is giving my DNA to a foreign nation? why even mention the US?
Because you seem so blasé about it.
Why restrict your DNA to only one country - do you have a problem with sharing your DNA with a foreign nation?
What happens if 'maybes in the future' we sign a treaty to share DNA with the US or China or Iceland or whatever - you seem happy enough for this to happen - why put the Irish exchequer to the expense?
Go and show your devotion to your cause and save the taxpayer some money.

Garda said:
Abbeylara, yes it was solved. The mentally unstable person that shot at Gardai was shot himself. Of course in that situation you would have been able to handle it so well wouldnt you? Dont start with that rubbish, the usual backwards step. You cant answer the questions put too you so you throw them in, how about Mayday while your at it?
See this is the problem with giving guns to fathead oiks like you.
Why was the army unit refused? Why were non-lethal weapons not employed?
You and the rest of your s4it-kicking pals shot an innocent, distressed civilian with automatic 9mm weapons. Several rounds were fired. The victims family were not allowed to speak to him and his sister was reportedly said to be drunk (a lie) by Gardai.
You should go and fk yourself for justifying the execution of a citizen.

You lost all respect at Abbeylara and the whole country knows it - you are finished as a police service.

Garda said:
Donegal, yes its been repaired. Want me to travel back in time?
Yeah, I want you to travel back in time.
Are you getting these answers from an 8-year old or something?

Garda said:
Dont bother responding until you have.

Ok Cartman I'll respect your a-thor-it-aaaahhhh!!!!

Listen Colombo, if your opinion was worth listening to, you wouldnt be walking the beat. But you dont see that, do you?

needle_too

You need more than a whole month to reply?

Shows the quality of recruits these days.....

Old Mr Grouser

But nowadays people are being convicted solely on DNA or fingerprint evidence.

Apart from the possibility of these bing planted at the crime scene there's reason to believe that DNA testning is not always reliable - When Bad DNA Tests Lead to False Convictions

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies