Do any of you remember Fianna Fáil in opposition in the past?

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior
I remember them a bit in 94-97 when Bertie Ahern was Taoiseach. I thought they were very quiet yea bar John O'Donoghue?

Fine Gael and Labour give FF loads of abuse. See Enda Kenny in the Dáil on Thursday.

I know that in the 80's or early 80's FF opposed every cut the FG/LP Govt. made. Have they been as noisy in opposition traditionally though as FG and the LP are now though could anyone tell me?

flavirostris

I think when FF go into opposition they will put on the biggest display of hypocrisy ever seen.
The new government will be villified as "uncaring" towards pensioners, social welfare recipients etc etc.

They will act as if they had nothing to do with the crisis confronting the country

anlkestony

Bertie "Your nothing but a waffler" to Mitchell. Bertie was brutal in opposition and even worse when Taoiseach. He was the biggest waffler of them all.

DJP

Website
Twitter
They certainly do a mean line in hypocricy!

What year was that in?

So FF traditionally, bar when Bertie Ahern was Taoiseach?, have really given FG and the LP loads of abuse when in opposition?

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Apparently when the 1973 cabinet went to take up their departments, they felt like they were interrupting a Fianna Fail cumann meeting.

Eire1976

Yes

I remember Bruton being in power and cringing every time there was a meeting on the North as Ireland was led by proto Unionists North and South at that stage.

To think that we were once glad of Bertie Ahern.

cricket

O'Donoghue was an absolute smug , ignorant disgrace in opposition. He truly got his comeuppance when his celebrity lifestyle caught up with him.

DJP

Website
Twitter
Of course they have. Every opposition party hungry for power attacks the government.
I know that they would have attacked the Govt. But did you hear Enda Kenny in the Dáil on Thursday; and when he said FF have destroyed our republic; and Eamon Gilmore (probably rightly) accusing FF of economic treason? FG and the LP have really thrown serious, heavy punches at FF. Have FF been the same in the past? I am aware of course of the economic situation we are in.

H.R. Haldeman

Yes. They were constructive, patriotic, pragmatic and sensible. They forwarded a very large number of smart, affordable, effective policy proposals and in general provided rigorous, searching opposition in line with their moral and constitutional obligations. Moreover, they conducted themselves with dignity, putting country before party, and acting in accordance with the very best precedents from our parliamentary past.

Pauli

Yep. The mid-80s. Their behaviour regarding both referenda and the Anglo-Irish Agreement was totally disgraceful.

fool

They've thrown punches like that on crime and the national question. They haven't had the opportunity on economics.

For examples of the abuse they used to give, look at the old FF election posters in Lemass by Tom Garvin.

FakeViking

Yep. The mid-80s. Their behaviour regarding both referenda and the Anglo-Irish Agreement was totally disgraceful.
They sent Brian Lenihan Sr (father of the Saint and the Kebab) over to America to lobby against it.

kerdasi amaq

Fianna Fáil can blather all they want in opposition; no one will take them seriously.

I remember FF well, very well, in opposition. If possible they were even more obnoxious than they are now. Strutting the corridors, plastered with make-up all the time, the shadow cabinet I mean, smiling and patting hands and backs. The criminal gangs, which were mild compared to what we have strolling the streets now, were their main weapon against the Rainbow Coalition. They revelled in it and especially in the tragic very public deaths.

They, Fianna Fáil, have a "gangbanger" mentality. They feel powerful, invincible, and unfortunately, now that they have been elected into power for so long, they have very powerful friends in very high places, so when they go into opposition next time round, they will be well protected, and well provided with information, I was going to say, intelligence, but that seems like a misnomer considering whom we are talking of.

The "gangbanger" mentality has unfortunately taken over any decency left in that political party. There are a few left, but mostly, they revel in being all powerful and untouchable. And being in opposition will not dispel this attitude, merely give them breathing space to strengthen their support.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies