• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Do elements of the Labour leadership know where the OIRA dumped their weapons?

Concerned Irishman

The OIRA never disclosed where their weapons ended up after their ceasefire. Many within the current Labour leadership had leadership roles in The Workers Party and later DL. I find it hard to believe that Pronsias DeRossa had no pull in the OIRA, and even find it conceivable that the likes of Gilmore and Rabbitte were involved back then as young fellas. If it is known, should they disclose the location of the weapons dump or is it no longer their responsibility?

weepee

I dont see why would be gained from bringing up this issue, bar trying to discredit the individuals named.

Unless seal in waterproof vaults, firearms buried for over 30 years would have a slim chance of being in working order.

Its a bit like asking, was Cowen informed of where IRA weapons were hidden in 1922.

Concerned Irishman

links evidence...........?
It's a question, not a statement. It is common knowledge that all three were involved in The Workers Party, a quick visit to their Wikipedia pages confirms that. The OIRA was the Military Wing of said Workers Party, and never disclosed where they dumped their weapons following their ceasefire. DeRossa was in the Leadership of the WP at the time, and had been involved in paramilitary activities before (he was interned after the Border Campaign) so it is not inconceivable that he was in the know about the so-called "special activities" of the Military Wing of the Party he assumed a leadership position in...

shutuplaura

Stupid question, stupid thread.

turdsl

The OIRA never disclosed where their weapons ended up after their ceasefire. Many within the current Labour leadership had leadership roles in The Workers Party and later DL. I find it hard to believe that Pronsias DeRossa had no pull in the OIRA, and even find it conceivable that the likes of Gilmore and Rabbitte were involved back then as young fellas. If it is known, should they disclose the location of the weapons dump or is it no longer their responsibility?

As if we had not more important things on our mind, it is your character now that is in question bringing it up at this time

The general sold them to the UVF! Who really cares! Doubt they work well! They might sell as antiques though!

Concerned Irishman

As if we had not more important things on our mind, it is your character now that is in question bringing it up at this time
I fail to see how. We hold issues like this to be paramount when discussing the Sinn Fein Leadership, and lets remember we know where their weapons are. Besides, it's an innocuous enough question: if they know where they are should they disclose it? I never insinuated that they put them there, nor did I say they ordered anything back then or haven't changed their views regarding paramilitarism.

Pat Mc Larnon

There was always a lot of hypocricy emanating from the Workers Party and then DL over weapons and violence. Small rumps of the Offiicials have used weapons from time to time to settle disputes, especially those started in clubs and pubs. There is no doubt that the whole issue of their weapons should have been dealt with at the time. But given that we are decades down the line and that their membership was always miniscule it is best just to let this issue die a death.

hopi watcher

I fail to see how. We hold issues like this to be paramount when discussing the Sinn Fein Leadership, and lets remember we know where their weapons are. Besides, it's an innocuous enough question: if they know where they are should they disclose it? I never insinuated that they put them there, nor did I say they ordered anything back then or haven't changed their views regarding paramilitarism.
...but you are claiming that they are there. Where did you get that information from?

PetevonPete

So the Officials were another micro group Pat? Really? They were 20 years at least ahead of the Provos politically, never surrendered their arms, fought the Provos to a stand still everytime they try to enforce their violent writ on the Official Republican community and were successful in pushing for Republican-Socialsit politics rather than administering right wing rule. Tell the Newry Provos that had a go as late as 1997 that the Officials were a micro group, they'll have a story to tell. Pat Republican left politics must now reunite but don't rewrite the rightwing backward past of your party which you had to leave behiond.

Pat Mc Larnon

So the Officials were another micro group Pat? Really? They were 20 years at least ahead of the Provos politically, never surrendered their arms, fought the Provos to a stand still everytime they try to enforce their violent writ on the Official Republican community and were successful in pushing for Republican-Socialsit politics rather than administering right wing rule. Tell the Newry Provos that had a go as late as 1997 that the Officials were a micro group, they'll have a story to tell. Pat Republican left politics must now reunite but don't rewrite the rightwing backward past of your party which you had to leave behiond.
It has taken me a while to work out what you are getting at. I never stated that they were a micro group just that they never had much of a membership.
As for never surrendering their arms, so what? They only ever used them for shooting members of their own community so it is not as if they held onto them on a point of principle. I believe the IRA were right to decommission, not out of some political gesture, but simply as a natural follow on from recognising that the peoples of these islands should settle their differences by political means only.

As for their alleged prowess in feuding with others, rather than get into a historical argument I will simply state that it is hardly something to be proud of (that applies right across the board).

The Officials were the first to degenerate into a purely crime for profit organisation. One of their leaders has his own difficulties at present re the super dollars controvery.

The Officials, what remains of them, are a throw back. Stay with them if you want, the rest of us are moving on without you.

An Gilladaker

I dont see why would be gained from bringing up this issue, bar trying to discredit the individuals named.

Unless seal in waterproof vaults, firearms buried for over 30 years would have a slim chance of being in working order.

Its a bit like asking, was Cowen informed of where IRA weapons were hidden in 1922.
Eggs will last for 100 years and would be well matured at this stage

stripey cat

Still, though, when you hear the media and posters here going on IRA violence without ever mentioning the Stickies and what Enda Kenny called "their Northern Ireland activities..." it makes you think.

Skyrocket

They should disclose the location of the weapons dump if it exists ;)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies