Do Fine Gael have a strategy to combat anti-FG bias?

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Irish Independent News in Ireland & Worldwide | Irish Newspaper | News Stories Online - Independent.ie

Have a look at this independent main national news page.

Such obvious anti-FG posturing is now routine in the Irish Independent.

This has been mentioned (read moaned about) on several occasions already on this site.

But what I want to ask is whether anyone has any ideas for FG about how do something about it. Does FG have any leverage over INM? Can they influence things close to the coal face? Or should they throw their hat at it and concentrate on winning the next election, ignoring the INM anti-FG bias?

D

Duth Ealla

When you talk about anti FG bias you should distinguish between those who just dont like FG for its history or attitudes or policies and the FF set who spit on FG in order to ensure to benefit FF. The Independent etc would be in the latter character.

Does FG have a policy to solve this. . One must assume not because look at their record. This is a fianna fail state and FG in their brief interludes of power have never done much to chnage the nature of it.

Its a bit much to expect that they will suddenly change spots and do something about it.

Sync

Is see articles on that link for:

• The Moriarty tribunal (Run almost entirely under FF's stewardship of the country) is hostile and pointless
  • The HSE (Overseen by the FF govt) haven't taken action in the Roscommon case
  • That "TANAISTE Mary Coughlan (Forget what party she's with) came under fire last night for leaving the nation in the dark about the effective scrapping of state training agency FAS."
  • That the Tanaiste has "Her foot in her mouth"
  • That a government (That's FF right?) agency had a 200k slushfund.
  • That the Irish health system (I forget, who's in charge of that?) failed a dying child.

Only references to FG:
FG targets public jobs but won't give number
Lise Hand: Fine Gael's firm get their bovver boots stuck in
What on earth is your problem? Where's the bias here?

LDF

I would draw a distinction between the Irish Independent and the Sunday Independent.

The Irish Independet is fairly balanced in its political coverage. The Sunday Independent is a different animal entirely. It is populated by FF hacks and journo's who want to be FF hacks. It is rabidly anti-FG. Some editions of The S'indo read like Pathé News propaganda pieces from circa WWII.

I don't think there is anything FG can do about it - just hope that the Irish electorate is FF-weary enough to see through the crap.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Only references to FG:
FG targets public jobs but won't give number
That's it.
Bingo

I haven't got one, as you should know, Synch, because I'm anything but a Fine Gael fan. But I'm objective enough to know bias when I see it.

As you also know, I'm not aaaaallllllllll that sympathetic, as I feel the only reason that the Indo et al gets away with it is that FG seem not to have developed a strategy to deal with it.

Sync

I haven't got one, as you should know, Synch, because I'm anything but a Fine Gael fan. But I'm objective enough to know bias when I see it.

As you also know, I'm not aaaaallllllllll that sympathetic, as I feel the only reason that the Indo et al gets away with it is that FG seem not to have developed a strategy to deal with it.
In seeking reform of the public sector, Fine Gael is adamant it will stick to the Croke Park deal, which explicitly rules out compulsory redundancies.

Where redeployment and voluntary redundancy "prove inadequate" in reducing numbers in non-priority back-office operations, Fine Gael will move to negotiate "fair exit and retraining packages".
Now, that's a clear contradiction. The Croke Park agreement doesn't allow for "Fair exit packages". There's no involuntary redundancys. So it's not unreasonable to ask the question "So are you going to have involuntary redundancies?" and then comment if there's no answer forthcoming.

Do you think the independent's being biased when they describe Coughlan as having her foot in her mouth?

Victor Meldrew

That was my take too.

I dislike the Indo and do not buy it. The Sindo is in another league and I disinfect the kitchen table when the Brother in-law brings it in.

Toland, FG can't do a lot about the civil war voters and the idiots that think that we are Fascists. But:

1) they are tone deaf to the optics to how "The Culchie's revenge" makes them look like FF who are too thick to get into power.

2) they lack the ruthlessness and cop-on to hold Calamity (and the Govt generally) to account and shoot themselves in the foot by letting Labour neuter them and make them look irrelevant and too thick to lead.

3) they are led by old crusts who are too long on the stage. the 30-40 year old's need more airtime. old men (Biffo & Bertie ,the Beards and the w/bankers have ruined this country.

neversaydie

Fine Gael do themselves no favours by their representatives calling for Ireland to be brought back into the United Kingdom. My family have always supported FG but we are shocked to hear this news today in the US. Fine Gael will lose election contributions because of this stance.

That was my take too.

I dislike the Indo and do not buy it. The Sindo is in another league and I disinfect the kitchen table when the Brother in-law brings it in.

Toland, FG can't do a lot about the civil war voters and the idiots that think that we are Fascists. But:

1) they are tone deaf to the optics to how "The Culchie's revenge" makes them look like FF who are too thick to get into power.

2) they lack the ruthlessness and cop-on to hold Calamity (and the Govt generally) to account and shoot themselves in the foot by letting Labour neuter them and make them look irrelevant and too thick to lead.

3) they are led by old crusts who are too long on the stage. the 30-40 year old's need more airtime. old men (Biffo & Bertie ,the Beards and the w/bankers have ruined this country.
OP is based and lives in Berlin so pretty much has little idea of Ireland apart from reading online. He can't even vote as he has lived outside for so long.

constitutionus

FG seem to think the solution is...

...enda kenny !

:)

Sync

Fine Gael do themselves no favours by their representatives calling for Ireland to be brought back into the United Kingdom. My family have always supported FG but we are shocked to hear this news today in the US. Fine Gael will lose election contributions because of this stance.
No offence, but your family sound like idiots.

hiding behind a poster

As has been said, your family are clearly idiots. FG have not called for Ireland to be brought back into the UK. Also, Irish political parties are not allowed receive donations from foreign countries, so if your family had been planning to donate to FG (which I doubt, anyway), they wouldn't have been able to.

Tomas Mor

When you talk about anti FG bias you should distinguish between those who just dont like FG for its history or attitudes or policies and the FF set who spit on FG in order to ensure to benefit FF. The Independent etc would be in the latter charac.
I think that is very correct. No party can blame media for critical analysis and all should accept that. But what you have from Sir Dr AJF Reilly group is pure vitriol for past number of years beginning with famous frontpage "Payback" editorial at time of 1997 GE because of refusal of a certain licence. The Sunday Indo excels itself of course with Jody Toady Corcoran, John Drennan who laid into Kenny from very start, Aengus Fanning, Willie O 'Dea , Eoghan Caligula Harris, Eamon Delaney, Celia Larkin to name but a few. They are more vitriolic than the Irish Press which tried to maintain some objectivity,ever was. It is in my opinion on a par with RTE and Frank Hall of the 1970s, which mysteriously went off the air when FF returned to power and Hall was appointed film censor ! It is best exemplified by Harris who with all the new recovering passion of a reformed marxist type FFer roars in the senate about evil of the public sector, and has a few cronies converted to his cause, like Marc McSharry, whom he also procures a slot for in the Sindo sometimes, as he does for John Paul McCarthy etc. Who next will he have in Sindo, someone like Paul Bradford who is trying to make a name for himself to win a dail seat and wins plaudits from Harris, or perhaps his old revisionist mate, Brian Hayes ? Watch this space.

Of course FG like the genteel,o my goodness garden party that they are do nothing about it. Maybe a good start would be for them to boycott those papers entirely.

hiding behind a poster

You think that exposing the public to more of Coveney, Creighton, Deasy and Varadkar will improve FGs image?
Another typically glib, snide remark from someone who claims policy matters most to him, but obsesses endlessly about personalities within FG.

Tomas Mor

Another typically glib, snide remark from someone who claims policy matters most to him, but obsesses endlessly about personalities within FG.
Fair play to the Baron, he is almost standing alone,going down his with his ship, EJ Smith style. I can hear him humming "Nearer my God to Thee"

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies