Do I not like that? Final whistle blown on Graham Taylor

ShoutingIsLeadership

Dead at 72.

I found him a good radio analyst - an avuncular chap.

Maybe he has asked to be buried in a turnip field?

RIP

statsman

Dead at 72.

I found him a good radio analyst - an avuncular chap.

Maybe he has asked to be buried in a turnip field?

RIP
Sad. That's quite young to die nowadays. He was badly treated by the media.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

The way he was treated by the disgraceful British tabloid media was awful.

RIP, knew little about him but I have sympathy for anyone who is hounded by the scum in the likes of the Sun & similar.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Sad. That's quite young to die nowadays. He was badly treated by the media.

It certainly is relatively young. Treated terribly...a process which has continued towards England managers, for the subsequent twenty years

Betson

Would agree about the media's treatment of him , it was a nasty personalised campaign against him by the tabloids who were trying to one up each other in seeing who could degrade him more and get more a reaction from him.

statsman

It certainly is relatively young. Treated terribly...a process which has continued towards England managers, for the subsequent twenty years
Yes, since then it's become one of the worst jobs in football. I suspect that Southgate is the new model; managers with little or no experience using it as a leg-up.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Yes, since then it's become one of the worst jobs in football. I suspect that Southgate is the new model; managers with little or no experience using it as a leg-up.

There's enough money in club football for top quality managers to no longer be attracted by the FA's millions

Holy Hand Grenade

Didn't see this thread when I posted this on the football thread:

He annoyed me as England manager, I think he made some snide comment about being irked when he saw English born Irish players facing the irish flag for the Irish anthem. I laughed a lot to that "impossible Job" documentary when it came out.

But things aren't always as they appear. I re-watched that documentary on YouTube a couple of years ago, and while there are some parts you can't help laughing at - "CAN WE NOT KNOCK IT!!!???" still gets me - my over-riding feeling was one of sympathy. He talks about waking up at night covered in sweat. One of the first scenes is of him confronting two fans racially abusing John Barnes at wembley - "That's another human being". His players seemed to love him, he was without Shearer for the majority of the qualifying campaign, and they were absolutely robbed bling that night in Holland, though that does give rise to the best line in the whole show, Lawrie McMenamie's "We didn't even get a f**king penalty!". While he was probably out of his depth as England manager, the evidence of what followed shows maybe it wasn't just him. He was treated awfully by the English press, and in the documentary, his withering takedown of the odious Rob Shepherd is absolutely glorious, his own little piece of revenge.

I believe Paul McGrath credits him with helping to get his career back on track, and he always seemed to know his stuff as a pundit.

RIP

Holy Hand Grenade

Apparently Taylor was the same age as Southgate when he took the job back in 1990

Didn't see this thread when I posted this on the football thread:

He annoyed me as England manager, I think he made some snide comment about being irked when he saw English born Irish players facing the irish flag for the Irish anthem. I laughed a lot to that "impossible Job" documentary when it came out.

But things aren't always as they appear. I re-watched that documentary on YouTube a couple of years ago, and while there are some parts you can't help laughing at - "CAN WE NOT KNOCK IT!!!???" still gets me - my over-riding feeling was one of sympathy. He talks about waking up at night covered in sweat. One of the first scenes is of him confronting two fans racially abusing John Barnes at wembley - "That's another human being". His players seemed to love him, he was without Shearer for the majority of the qualifying campaign, and they were absolutely robbed bling that night in Holland, though that does give rise to the best line in the whole show, Lawrie McMenamie's "We didn't even get a f**king penalty!". While he was probably out of his depth as England manager, the evidence of what followed shows maybe it wasn't just him. He was treated awfully by the English press, and in the documentary, his withering takedown of the odious Rob Shepherd is absolutely glorious, his own little piece of revenge.

I believe Paul McGrath credits him with helping to get his career back on track, and he always seemed to know his stuff as a pundit.

RIP
I don't think he was out of his depth - the manager is always blamed for the innate structural problems in the English set-up, and I don't think anyone would have done a much better job at that time. Taylor did an utterly miraculous job at - *spits on ground * - Watford, and didn't do a bad job at Villa.

Betson

Bobby Robson actually got a very hard time in the 1980s from the tabloid press too - their memories of doing a hatchet job on him were strangely wiped after Italia 90.
The most disgraceful treatment of Robson was by RTE that day he came on liveline when he was consultant to manager Steve Staunton , Ireland were going through a very run of games , Staunton was not facing the press at the time and somehow RTE managed to get Robson to come on liveline although he was very ill at the time.

For over a half of hour Joe let every tom dick and harry come on to throw abuse at him for the whole mess during the Staunton reign, it was awful stuff to listen to, not sure if the FAI sanctioned the interview at the time, if they did then they share the blame as well.

blokesbloke

RIP.

The amount of people who condemn the tabloids but continue to buy and support them is depressing.

British people could cause the entire tabloid press to close down within a few weeks if we chose.

I never buy them but sadly many, many people still do.

A poor reflection on our national character.

rainmaker

Administrator
Sad news - always liked him & as was said, his treatment by the tabloids remains an utter disgrace to this very day.

And sadly I have no doubt the tabloids will have no hesitation at all in spouting insincere tributes without the faintest hint of irony or self awareness - sickening.

rainmaker

Administrator
RIP.

The amount of people who condemn the tabloids but continue to buy and support them is depressing.

British people could cause the entire tabloid press to close down within a few weeks if we chose.

I agree with every single line of this post - in fact I would say the tabloids are frequently a shameful, national embarrassment.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I do think the tabloid press in England have a lot to do with the hesitant performance of players in the England team who would normally be strong in same position at their club side.

I've thought for years that the thing England players fear most of all is being the fall guy in the tabloids for a mistake. I think it is at the back of their minds or in the subconscious all the time.

No one wants to be the one who has the finger pointed at them the next day. I suspect that is a huge factor in players at England level underperforming. Suspect it has been for a long time.

On the subject of Taylor I am sure he was a nice man and everyone seems to agree on that but I don't think he was ever really up to being an England manager. The 'Do I Not Like That' candid camera programme on him was embarrassing and hilarious for neutrals.

It was embarrassing because in the background you could see some senior players openly taking the mickey out of him.

I recall him doing a lot of lobbying around the FA when other managers were in the job as well so I'm not sure he was as nice a fellow back then as he appeared to be later years.

The programme on him was pure Alan Partridge many years before Alan Partridge was ever thought up. It was horrifying at times almost beyond Partridge and pretty much into Gervaise's 'Office' territory.

The job is an impossible one. Even if a manager lucked into a great crop of young players and won the European Championships the weight of expectation would be so great for the next World Cup it would destroy any real chance of sustained performance and the tabloid press would actively reach for 'invincible' labels purely so they could tear down each and every player personally to sell more papers thereafter.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Oh hell I've just remembered the infamous switch to the 'christmas tree' formation for a game against Norway.

I've yet to this day to see such an obvious tactical car crash at such a senior level in international football.

I remember very clearly getting in from work and as I was changing glancing at the game in its early stages and I also remember stopping to try to figure what exactly appeared to be happening. It was total chaos.

PBP voter

RIP.

Agreed. Unfortunately we buy loads of them as well. The Sun,Daily Mail and the Mirror all have Irish editions.

New Threads

Most Replies