Do Leo's "morning people" indicate a class divide in Irish politics?

Breanainn

An interesting response to a poll question posed in the Irish Daily Mail - when respondents were asked "When Leo Varadkar talks about people who get up early in the morning, he is speaking about people like me", the breakdown by political party was intriguing. Solidarity/PBP, SF and the Soc Dems were firmly in the No camp, Labour split 50/50, while the Greens, Independents, FF and FG answered "Yes" to increasingly strong degrees. Does the response breakdown highlight the proportion of working class and middle class supporters within each party?

https://mobile.twitter.com/campaignforleo/status/880832006342553600

Congalltee

There is a perception that there are givers and takers? Though the giving is under threat of imprisonment.

Dame_Enda

Its ironic that a party that supports zero-hours contracts would use such a term as "people who get up in the morning".

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Leo's theme song....................[video=youtube;W7q1bHK8te0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7q1bHK8te0[/video] :rolleyes:

wombat

If we don't have a class divide, we're getting close to having one. We have so many paid advocates for the various welfare schemes appearing in the media that we are getting close to a backlash from those who see themselves as paying for everything. Most people who are comfortable have no problem in sharing but they don't want their noses rubbed in it - by that I mean exposure to "community activists" who live on the dole and spend their time building political profiles.

GDPR

If we don't have a class divide, we're getting close to having one. We have so many paid advocates for the various welfare schemes appearing in the media that we are getting close to a backlash from those who see themselves as paying for everything. Most people who are comfortable have no problem in sharing but they don't want their noses rubbed in it - by that I mean exposure to "community activists" who live on the dole and spend their time building political profiles.
Grow up- some of the biggest snobs I have come across are Southern Irish and the fact that they cannot admit it to themselves makes them worse. One of the times I was most proud of my better half was when we are at a dinner party and after a very snobbish rant by someone there he raised his eyebrow and asked; "Are you snobs? How English!" The silence following was deafening.

ionsniffer

the more these dimwits keep putting out these statements the better and quicker they'll be voted out. keep up the fantastic work leo

GDPR

the more these dimwits keep putting out these statements the better and quicker they'll be voted out. keep up the fantastic work leo
There speaks someone who very badly needs & wants a class divide.

Not a very edifying sight, is it?

Sister Mercedes

The divide is between those who depend on state cartels for their incomes (PS, Law Library, IMO etc) and those who compete in open markets (the Private Sector ex-Professions).

Wascurito

It was dog whistle stuff. Time will tell if there's a market for it.

ShinnerBot No.32564844524

OH, so because a Guard gets up in the afternoon to work their shift, they aren't working....wait!....stop!...terrible analogy. Ok, An Intel shift worker then, they work don't they? (j/k, don't envy the Guard's their work, they earn theirs tbf)

Or is this one of those things where we divide working people by making them think that no one else is working as hard as they do?

FFS.

Dame_Enda

We should not cut taxes until we rebuild our crumbling roads, end the housing crisis and fix the health service.

Last edited:

hollandia

This will be the terms of the debate and the winning or losing of the next GE.
It's correct. From my point of view, it's not the level of taxation that's the issue, it's how it's used.

wombat

This will be the terms of the debate and the winning or losing of the next GE.
Its a question of degree, at present, the PAYE class are happy enough to continue paying but I would guess they are close to their limit. If they decide they are paying enough and every other party wants them to pay more, Varadkar will be on a winner.

wombat

We should not cut taxes until we rebuild our crumbling roads, end the housing crisis and fx the health service.
The Saint Augustine approach to tax cutting?

ger12

Pales in comparison to those still protected who bankrupted this country. As FG/Lab policy strove to protect them and their investments until a second artificial superficial boom could be manufactured to give them the reprieve denied to the rest of us who ended up bailing the rest of them out.

It's disgusting.

GDPR

Its a question of degree, at present, the PAYE class are happy enough to continue paying but I would guess they are close to their limit. If they decide they are paying enough and every other party wants them to pay more, Varadkar will be on a winner.
I doubt you'll find every other party wants them to pay more, but there could very well be a party or two who don't propose that they should pay less, rather that as tax income grows, as it does with a growing economy, more should be spent on services.
Please note, I don't mean more spent on wages for those already in situ, but actually spent on improved services.

New Threads

Most Replies