Do Not Buy ANY Independent News Media Rag

Banshee

The "Irish" Independent and in particular, the attrocious Eoghan Hand Job Harris have a huge case to answer for turning the tide in FF's favour in 2007.

The paper is a rag, everyone seems to agree yet it is still a best seller. Time to tell your friends and family to stop buying all the Irish Independent newspapers including the evening Herald.

Urmentor

Twitter
@red7778
Stop being silly please.
Agreed. They had some good pieces in Saturday supplement on Richard Bruton and the Bloody Sunday protests in Dublin.
Some of their writers can be annoying but not a good enough reason to boycott paper for that.

greengoose2

Agreed. They had some good pieces in Saturday supplement on Richard Bruton and the Bloody Sunday protests in Dublin.
Some of their writers can be annoying but not a good enough reason to boycott paper for that.
Judging from this morning's offerings the Sindo is more than annoying. I wouldn't boycott the rag, I merely read the headlines and that's pretty lousy journalism.

Banshee

ive a freind who appeared nude in it once . Apart from that time ive never bought it
Really, who was he ?? ;):)

New T-shirt slogan?

"Friends Don't Let Friends Inhale Sewerage - Don't buy The Indo"

SevenStars

The "Irish" Independent and in particular, the attrocious Eoghan Hand Job Harris have a huge case to answer for turning the tide in FF's favour in 2007.

The paper is a rag, everyone seems to agree yet it is still a best seller. Time to tell your friends and family to stop buying all the Irish Independent newspapers including the evening Herald.
The Herald is filled with sensationalist waffle and is a particularly idiotic paper.

However isnt it a case that ALL the newspapers in Ireland are crap?

Someone posted a statistic saying we had the third freest media in the world but you could have fooled me.

jdaly

What a strange post; I don't know what kind of friends and family you have but I do know what would happen if I tried "to tell ... friends and family to stop buying all the Irish Independent newspapers including the evening Herald." They would tell me where to go and that as adults they'll decide what to read.
They are crap papers but that's a different issue than "telling" people not to buy them. If they are best sellers that tells you as much, or more, about the population as it does about the papers.
Can you give me the name of a couple of good Irish papers?

Cruimh

What a strange post; I don't know what kind of friends and family you have but I do know what would happen if I tried "to tell ... friends and family to stop buying all the Irish Independent newspapers including the evening Herald." They would tell me where to go and that as adults they'll decide what to read.
They are crap papers but that's a different issue than "telling" people not to buy them. If they are best sellers that tells you as much, or more, about the population as it does about the papers.
+1

an fleabite is always good for a laugh.

beanie

So we shouldn't buy the independent, water, diamonds and we should destroy/damage stock form Isreal and return it to the retailer?

I'm sure people are aware that a plastic bottle of water costs €1 and upwards in the Rip Off Republic.

Can we make a stand and drive down the price to match the "continent" where it is 30 cent and less per bottle?

If everyone was to stop purchasing botteld water in the shops, you can guarantee that the price will come down drastically.

About the only thing I do agree with in Brian Lenihan's generally digusting hypocritical blaming of the people for our economic woes is that the Irish are lazy. The current crop are very willing to whine but when it comes to making changes that will make a difference, they will only do so when forced.

So come on, let's all stop buying bottled water now and see what consumer power can do.

ps. sorry to disappoint the pro-Israeli thugs but this is nothing to do with Israel!
http://www.politics.ie/economy/131499-boycott-water.html

http://www.politics.ie/foreign-affairs/131194-israels-blood-diamonds.html

There are a multitude of Israeli goods on sale in Ireland. Definitely scope to do some damage.

Best thing to do is buy them, add an insect/worm and bring them back, retailers will stop buying if they fear being sued.

ne0ica

The Herald is filled with sensationalist waffle and is a particularly idiotic paper.

However isnt it a case that ALL the newspapers in Ireland are crap?

Someone posted a statistic saying we had the third freest media in the world but you could have fooled me.
I disagree Seven. I am forced to read international newspapers online than read the domestic variety. The Irish Times is collection of musings from the Dublin South brigade. Stopped buying it when Ann Marie Hourihan wrote an article about how nice her concierge was in her Paris apartment. And have you ever read Fintan opionion pieces on the troubles.

merle haggard

I disagree Seven. I am forced to read international newspapers online than read the domestic variety. The Irish Times is collection of musings from the Dublin South brigade. Stopped buying it when Ann Marie Hourihan wrote an article about how nice her concierge was in her Paris apartment. And have you ever read Fintan opionion pieces on the troubles.
was that the 30 odd year armed conflict, one of many that have erupted on a near generational basis this past 300 years between english and irish forces , the one he finally concluded a 4 piece sideburned ballad group were ultimately responsible for ? and indeed went onto the late late in a head to head debate with them specifically to make that specific political point ? and lost .

Tomas Mor

I have not bought it for a few years. Just get a peep at it in the net, but they will probably stop that soon like sunday times. After that if I see it in a hotel lobby or as some do penned up,I glance at it. I am amazed atall the people who complain about Harris, Corcoran, O Connor, best is yet to come March Coleman, but still go out and buy it.And look at way they pumped up poor Katy French, there is that sort of sexy side to them as well.

Last edited:

Cornerman

I know how you feel.

Since the current editor took over the IT has really slipped. For a while I bought the saturday edition to read Michael Viney's column. But he seems to have run out of steam now. Roisin Ingle (OH!), Miriam Lord (NO!), Kate Holmquist (AHHH!) and Jane Powers - the non-gardening garden column writer that doesn't write anything about actual gardening.. (I'm a keen gardener.)

So now it's a quick flick at the head lines online each morning, then to the UK Independent, BBC, UK Guardian, and a very small number of bloggers that I follow from time to time. And here, of course. I've never bought the Indo, but it gets left about where I work. I enjoy Kevin Myres (and increasingly agree with him - either he's mellowing or I'm going senile.)

Malbekh

The Indo itself is Ok, the Sindo is pretty awful, but as the paper was broadly supportive of FF, it gives you an insight to current thinking. Based on today's paper, it's still not supportive of Cowen or the government as a whole.

Indeed, even Marc Coleman of all people, is questioning the reasoning behind the bank guarantee scheme in relation to Anglo-Irish. Too little too late ofc.

Most informative is the great Willie O'Dea's column exhorting the virtues of having our recent university qualified citizens leaving this country in droves. Better for Ireland he argues, that the tens of millions the Irish taxpayer donated to their excellent education be used to further their work experiences in foreign climes.

After all, thanks to the policies of his government, there's no point in them staying here for us to see our sons and daughters bear fruit and prosper.

Tomas Mor

What about the outrageous matter of Celia Larkin turning up as writer in Sindo. Wonder what ghost wrote for her - Anne/Eoghan Harris, Jody Corcoran , Brendan O Connor ? She must really be on her uppers,but still on a stated baord that Bert appointed her to. With herself and WOD on board, will Sindo soon employ Ivor Callely, Ray Burke,

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies