• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Do opposition bills ever get passed in the Dail?

IrishWelshCelt

Simple question really, you always hear about SF and FF introducing bills to the house but I cant seem to recall any that have passed recently. Is there many that have passed and if so what did the bills concern?

Eoin Coir

I think Alan Shatter is one of the few who had a bill passed in the Dail while he was on the Opposition benches. It was to do with family law.

livingstone

The answer is yes, but very, very rarely.

One example - it may even have been the last example - was I believe that Alan Shatter had a Family Law Bill passed in the 1990s.

I can't recall any recent example.

gijoe

I think Alan Shatter is one of the few who had a bill passed in the Dail while he was on the Opposition benches. It was to do with family law.
I think he has about 3 of them; a record.

asterix

Found three more

The Oireachtas website lists all bills since 1992. There doesnt seem to be a search facility. A google search ( "Source Private Member" site: oireachtas.ie "Status Enacted" ) gave one result: Coroners (Amendment) Bill 2005, introduced by Pat Rabbitte.

Edit: Found three more google (site: oireachtas.ie "Enacted" PMB -nn):

Last edited: