• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Do Prime Ministers that have children make better leaders?

silverharp

I see Leadsom is in a it a of hot water for claiming that being a mother gives her an edge as leader because she has a greater stake in wanting to see a brighter future. The argument has been used to attack Merkel that she doesnt care about what happens to Germans because she doesnt have kids. so does it hold up? I think on a personal level it does alter how you behave because you want to see "your" kids do well. However as for running a state Im sure it would be easy enough to point out Irish politicians for example that helped create a toxic future but on the understanding that their kids would be kings of the ashes.

Ill go with inconclusive

Andrea Leadsom has attacked “gutter journalism” after it was reported that she claimed she would be a better prime minister than her Conservative leadership contest rival, Theresa May, because she has children and May does not.

Rural

It shouldn't make a whit of difference!

Anyway, if it does matter, then whether her parenting skills were good or bad would come into it and the proof of that pudding........

Didn't Thatcher's son get lost somewhere?

ShoutingIsLeadership

How did the use of "kids" instead of "children", become so ubiquitous?

devoutcapitalist

I think Jack Lynch was childless, he turned out to be a complete economic incompetent in the late 70's in Ireland.

Irish-Rationalist

Leadsom has been in politics for 6 years. What would she know about politics?

Irish-Rationalist

Tsk - she has only been in Westminster for 6 years. But was a councillor from 2003.

Does political activity outside of Westminster not count?
Only if it involves conception, child-birth, child-rearing and attendance to domestic chores - real life stuff that builds character.

Dame_Enda

Its a controversial statement. But I do believe that if a PM has children it might make them think again before sending other peoples children into wars.

Trampas

Didn't Thatcher's son get lost somewhere?

That was on the Paris-Dakar rally so he was a big boy then. Margaret Thatcher did have to endure the odd swipe about her parenting skills.

rainmaker

Administrator
Its a controversial statement. But I do believe that if a PM has children it might make them think again before sending other peoples children into wars.
How does that theory explain Tony Blair then?

silverharp

And is this an issue 'cause she is a lady?
she brought it up in an interview and wasnt prompted by the reporter.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies