Do RTÉ hate Sinn Féin?

bobbysands81

I think that the reason most of the people despise Sinn Fein might just be because many of their members are convicted terrorists, who were involved in the murder of nearly 2000 people, mostly innocent Irish people as it happens.
Simple really.................
I bet you have a horn for men in uniforms.

H

Humbert

RTÉ journalists must be one of the only group journalists in the world that have gone to court to ensure that there WAS NOT freedom of speech.
SF used to have a pretty tough line on freedom of speech too - bullet in the back of the head I believe.

mickdotcom

RTÉ journalists must be one of the only group journalists in the world that have gone to court to ensure that there WAS NOT freedom of speech.
Freedom of speech

better not let O Snodaigh know your espousing freedom of speech.

CitizenO'Kane

so why are their independants and random paper commentators instead of SF members? what you say is generally true but not always the case
I like Joe Higgins, but it's worth noting that he gets more airtime than all SF TDs and councillors put together.

Must be a bit worrying for him to be the acceptable face of the left in RTE.

Cabbage/Turnip

I like Joe Higgins, but it's worth noting that he gets more airtime than all SF TDs and councillors put together.

Must be a bit worrying for him to be the acceptable face of the left in RTE.
thanks for answering COK (lol) no one seems to answer it

mickdotcom

I'm no Shinner... but I'd still be interested to hear when Sinn Féin put "a bullet in the back of the head."
Roberto is dead right

Sinn Fein never put a bullet in the back of the head-

However many many members of their organisation and many many

supporters have issued out OBE's

aka One Behind the Ear.

Lets be honest and cut out the old codology

sinn fein members did the above and more.

H

Humbert

Roberto is dead right

aka One Behind the Ear.

Look man, you don't want to ruin his sleep - its best he hears it from his own.

bobbysands81

Roberto is dead right

aka One Behind the Ear.

Would you say the same about members of Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil?

H

Humbert

Not everything Humbert says is true, he lies and makes things up to make pathetic unfounded political points.
Look son, you're angry I know, and that's natural. Not everything in life is the way you want it to be. But its time you knew. Ask around - nobody wanted to tell you but obviously you're starting to work it out for yourself. Its part of growing up - you need to accept it as a fact of life. Don't be ashamed - everyone else knows and they were going to tell you but you just seemed so sweet and innocent and content. We hadn't the heart. Please don't blame us - we only meant the best.

tokkie

Not a fan of Sinn Fein by any means. However RTE and other media outlets do discriminate against them imo.

mickdotcom

What lies has he said;

People who were and still are members (some in high positions) murdered Irish people.

thats a well known fact mate- Why are you denying it.

Maybe this is why RTE dislike Sinn Fein- they tell lies, wont accept the facts

and blame everyone else just like all the other political parties.

stripey cat

When the broadcasting ban was introduced in Britian, journalists protested about it, and the BBC brought in a weird system of using actors to dub interviews with people who were banned.

RTE was also unhappy about Section 31 (the name of the broadcasting ban on Sinn Féin in Ireland).

They felt it did not go far enough.

Here is an extract from an article by Niall Meehan about it :

That year, 1993, was a bad one for RTE. In its eagerness to uphold the law, RTE broke it. On March 31, the broadcaster was found by the Supreme Court to have been operating an illegal system of self-censorship. Under cover of Section 31 of the Broadcasting Act, RTE had systematically extended the scope of the censorship order. It had prevented a Sinn Féin member (now Sinn Féin councillor) Larry O'Toole from speaking about a trade union dispute in which he was the spokesperson.

After the High Court declared the practice illegal RTE appealed to be re-censored and told the Supreme Court it would not allow a Sinn Féin actor to advertise a bar of soap. The US Newspaper Guild declared: "We are astonished that RTE, instead of welcoming this liberal interpretation of an abhorrent censorship statute, is asking the Irish Supreme Court for a greater restriction of its free-speech rights."

You can read the full article here: CAIN: Issue: Media: Meehan, Niall. (2003) 'How RTE censored its censorship'

It's important to remember that many of the people who were running RTE news at that time are still working in the corporation.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies