• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Do Sky Want to Lose Loyal Customers?

Aindriu

After a run in with three Sky people for whom the expression customer service is an oxymoron, I have finally had enough and sent the following email to Comreg. Bear in mind that I paid an additional fee at the time of initial installation to have the install WITHOUT a fixed landline!
Good afternoon,

I wish to make a complaint about Sky Ireland.

I have been a customer of theirs for five years now. I have what they call a multi-room package whereby we have two set top boxes – one in the sitting room and one in my son’s room. His box needs replacing as it is beginning to fail. I contacted Sky today who were initially happy to replace the box however, once they found out that we no longer have a landline to the house effused to continue and informed me that they will charge me for two full subscriptions to Sky instead of one subscription plus the discounted multi-room fee.

I was told that it is their policy that both boxes must be connected to landline at all times and must be accessible on the same number. When I enquired why I was told by four different people that it is because a very small minority of people have taken the multi-room subscription only to site the second box at a relative’s house. Given this, they are effectively accusing me and many other long standing customers as liars and thieves. They are also placing me in a situation where I have to pay to have a landline I do not want installed and then have to pay some €38 per month plus to maintain that line. I have a telephone service via my mobile that allows me to call anywhere in Ireland and the UK at any time for a mere €14.99 per month yet Sky want, nay demand, that I immediately reinstate a landline – at a cost of around €75 installation fee – then pay to keep that landline for no other reason that it enables them to see if I am attempting to steal services from them.

If I lived in a UPC cabled area I would have no issues about switching to them forthwith and cancelling my service from Sky. Unfortunately I do not so that is not an option. Given this, they have a monopoly for supplying the television service I want and are attaching unfair and unreasonable demands for so doing.

I respectfully ask that you investigate this as a matter of urgency with Sky Ireland with a view to assisting me to resolve this issue.

I await your reply with interest
It will be interesting to see what Comreg come back with.

What experiences have posters had with Sky?

realistic1

After a run in with three Sky people for whom the expression customer service is an oxymoron, I have finally had enough and sent the following email to Comreg. Bear in mind that I paid an additional fee at the time of initial installation to have the install WITHOUT a fixed landline!

Quite good to be fair. I was going to end my subscription last year because I saw it as a unnecessary expense. When I asked to cancel they said they would give me a 50% reduction for the year. My bill is now 16 euro a month.

Leinster12

Not sure you'll get much of a response from Comreg.
From Sky's own website:

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Other important points about your Multiroom Subscription

• Each Multiroom subscription you take out can only be viewed at the same Address as your first Sky digital subscription.

• The Box used to receive your first Sky digital subscription must always be connected to a fixed and operational telephone line while any Multiroom subscription is in place. All the Boxes used to receive your Multiroom subscription(s) must also be connected to this line and number and you must let us collect information through this line, including your telephone number (caller line identification or CLI).

You've signed up to their T&Cs so they have you by the short and curlies.

Mr. Bumble

Why not keep one Sky box and get a free to view box in the other room.

The advice from Realistic is correct. I threatened to leave and they gave me a year for half price. Gone back up to full price now and they won't give me another discount.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Why not keep one Sky box and get a free to view box in the other room.

The advice from Realistic is correct. I threatened to leave and they gave me a year for half price. Gone back up to full price now and they won't give me another discount.
Just do what everyone else does..

1. Tell Sky you are cancelling your subscription

2. Get Mrs Bumble to ring Sky, and have it installed for free, with 12 months half price.. and enjoy Sky for half price, for 12 months

3. After about two months of your own subscription being cancelled, you will fortnightly recieve mail from Sky, offering to re-connect you for free, and charge you half price for your first twelve months

4. After 12 months half price, get Mrs Bumble to cancel her subscription, and take up the Sky offer to you in 3. above

5. Continue this yearly

I have a friend who yearly just cancelled his Sky subscription and moved it first into his wifes name, then his two daughters, until finally he called the postman and told him if he received post for "Freddie" XXXXX, to drop it in to him...

Sky's newest customer was a six year old tan cocker spaniel... who was receiving Sky for 12 months at half price

Last edited:

kvran

Our sky started failing last December due to the dish rusting. It was hard enough to get through to a customer care rep. who wouldn't put us on hold and never come back but when after going through the usual restart the box, check the cables etc. they said that they would have to send out an engineer costing €100 and if anything needed replacing it would be extra. When we said we would be getting rid of it, we got the usual few months free etc. offers.

We instead got a local guy who installs free to air boxes to come out put up a new rust proof dish and use the skybox just for the free to air channels which I am happy with. I find myself watching more contemporary and challenging stuff like university challenge rather that mush like ice road truckers or constant repeats of top gear.

The sky people were generally friendly (and native english speakers) when you could get them on the line but the extortion of loyal customers for things such as repairs is insulting. You'd think they would be desperate to hold on to existing customers with increasing competition from free to air, UPC and on-line formats such as Netflix and in a recession.

Destiny's Soldier

Quite good to be fair. I was going to end my subscription last year because I saw it as a unnecessary expense. When I asked to cancel they said they would give me a 50% reduction for the year. My bill is now 16 euro a month.
The price is what the customer can afford to pay. That is always the rule of thumb.

commonman

there is alot of people leaving them reason cost its going up again 2 euro next month, i get all for 60 euro but i am with them over twenty years, if they ever loss the football there gone.

Can't speak with any knowledge about the multi-room stuff, but we have a box that is not connected to the landline and this doesn't seem to be an issue.

The box was a bit knackered last year and they did the usual €100 call-out plus replacement costs when I called to get it replaced. When I did the standard threat to leave, they waived the fees and when the Sky guy called, he not only replaced the box, but replaced the dish as he thought it was a bit rusty, without me even mentioning it.

Service guys seem nice, but the staff on the phone can be pretty awful unless you kick up a fuss.

harshreality

They charge too much for a substandard product.

Cut your ties with them and spend the savings on something else. That is what I did and I have them ringing me every so often with discount offers etc.

julieandrews

Sky are a right pain when you try to cancel a service. I get Sky Sports every year to watch NFL and I cancel it every January as there is no other sport I watch which is only on Sky. Every January have to go through ages on the phone with them of them trying to convince me not to cancel it, I have to explain my reasons why, they insist on trying to find me a cheaper package for Sky Sports and I tell them not to bother and they sound very surprised that I actually REALLY want to cancel SS.

I know that most companies will try to convince you not to downgrade, but the tone of voice used by the Sky rep is always of an incredulous 'I can't believe you want to cancel, you must be mad, snide kind of a tone' that really gets up my nose.

To make matters worse, this year I got a whole spiel about 'are you the only one who watches SS, have you checked with other members of the household' - ie have you checked with the men in the house that I can cancel. And my name is on the account and I pay the bill ffs!!!!

I'll be cancelling my entire Sky subscription very soon

former wesleyan

Just do what everyone else does..

1. Tell Sky you are cancelling your subscription

2. Get Mrs Bumble to ring Sky, and have it installed for free, with 12 months half price.. and enjoy Sky for half price, for 12 months

3. After about two months of your own subscription being cancelled, you will fortnightly recieve mail from Sky, offering to re-connect you for free, and charge you half price for your first twelve months

4. After 12 months half price, get Mrs Bumble to cancel her subscription, and take up the Sky offer to you in 3. above

5. Continue this yearly

I have a friend who yearly just cancelled his Sky subscription and moved it first into his wifes name, then his two daughters, until finally he called the postman and told him if he received post for "Freddie" XXXXX, to drop it in to him...

Sky's newest customer was a six year old tan cocker spaniel... who was receiving Sky for 12 months at half price
Question. Does this work in an urban area, ie. where the address is for example 27, Lazy Daze Road, etc etc. ??? I know it works in the countryside where addresses are more vague because friends have done it.

Truth.ie

I have never and will never subscribe to Sky.
Full of banal, inane MSM propaganda and endless repeats.
When visiting the homes of those who have it, they aither spend the night flicking channels or end up watching BBC, Channel 4 or watching a DVD.
Knowing that I don't finance Murdoch is an extra bonus.

Cynicist

Annoying that Sky package charges are less in the UK.

Am also on a 50% reduced deal at the moment after genuinely advising that I could not afford the full cost. Will be up to Sky to eventually decide if they want to keep my custom at the discounted rate because I am prepared to give up my football addiction if necessary and go cold turkey.

Davidoff

Saorview has been a game-changer.

We're getting two dozen channels free now, with perfect reception.

I'm still on a UPC package - rather them than Murdoch - but €70 a month is way too much to pay for a few hours sports coverage at the weekend.

toconn

We did the same thing ! Have to be honest , if they lose the Hieneken cup which they cover very well I'll be off in a jiffy as that's about all I'm interested in though I can see all the UK channels via sky too.

Truth.ie

We did the same thing ! Have to be honest , if they lose the Hieneken cup which they cover very well I'll be off in a jiffy as that's about all I'm interested in though I can see all the UK channels via sky too.
I watched UK channels in Kerry during the 80's, long before Sky was even dreamed up.
BBC Wales if I remember correctly.

Mackers

Aindriu the reason they insist on a land line is that it sends some sort of test signal to make sure the box is at your address. But I think the only way not to have a land line is to have broadband on its own. I wish you well but they have t&gs beyond logic. Try the I'm leaving move it's worth a shot.

Davidoff

At a grand a year, it would be cheaper to go to the matches - even the overseas ones.