Do solidarity marches or protest marches actually achieve anything?

L'Chaim

Tens of thousands of people will march through Barcelona today to show their defiance against terrorism following last week’s deadly attacks. Even King Felipe will be first modern Spanish monarch to take part in a demonstration as thousands are expected to show that the country stands together. The march is to give a clear message of unity and condemnation of terrorism.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/26/spain-attacks-king-felipe-vi-to-join-barcelona-anti-terror-march

Now I'd support condemning terrorism, but will this march actually reduce terrorist attacks? Are the people on these types of marches qualified to offer a solution to fighting terrorism or stopping terrorism? Or are these types of marches just a way of making people feel they are doing something?

Levellers

Tens of thousands of people will march through Barcelona today to show their defiance against terrorism following last week’s deadly attacks. Even King Felipe will be first modern Spanish monarch to take part in a demonstration as thousands are expected to show that the country stands together. The march is to give a clear message of unity and condemnation of terrorism.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/26/spain-attacks-king-felipe-vi-to-join-barcelona-anti-terror-march

Now I'd support condemning terrorism, but will this march actually reduce terrorist attacks? Are the people on these types of marches qualified to offer a solution to fighting terrorism or stopping terrorism? Or are these types of marches just a way of making people feel they are doing something?
The King and Spanish government are using the terrible events in an effort to blunt Catalan calls for independence.

Catalpast

That was an Irish issue. However, people marching in Ireland about foreign wars is just silly.
I think the HUGE protest on 15 March 2003 against the upcoming Invasion of Iraq made it crystal clear to the Government of the day that this attack was hugely unpopular with the Irish People

Given the pressure we come under all the time from outside forces

- it meant that we were not suckered into yet another stupid foreign war....

toughbutfair

I think the HUGE protest on 15 March 2003 against the upcoming Invasion of Iraq made it crystal clear to the Government of the day that this attack was hugely unpopular with the Irish People

You think Ireland would have joined in on the war if it was popular?

L'Chaim

Oh yeah, remember that! I went to have a look at them here in Dublin. Most of the people looked really normal, which surprised me because I really wanted to see what they looked like. I wanted to see who all those people were, who felt so strongly about keeping a woman hating, genocidal, gay hating, user of chemical weapons against his own people, torturer, in power. I couldn't get over how many normal looking people opposed removing Saddam from power

The thing is though, did the march achieve anything? It didn't stop the Iraq war. US troops on their way to war had full use of Shannon airport etc.

GDPR

For political effect, it depends upon the size of the protest. The poll tax was defeated in the UK by the huge crowds in opposition, then the government sneaked it in anyway with the "council tax".

Ditto Vietnam war protests.

I'll be going on a demo in London on 9 September to protest brexit. I am not sure how many will turn up, if there isn't a huge crowd, then I'll know the Remain argument is lost :(

tsarbomb

In this case it will achieve nothing.

Will the terrorists give a damn? I doubt it.

toughbutfair

For political effect, it depends upon the size of the protest. The poll tax was defeated in the UK by the huge crowds in opposition, then the government sneaked it in anyway with the "council tax".

I'll be going on a demo in London on 9 September to protest brexit. I am not sure how many will turn up, if there isn't a huge crowd, then I'll know the Remain argument is lost :(
The poll tax was a march against their governments policy. Marching against other countries policy is naive in the extreme

stopdoingstuff

Solidarity marches against terrorism are unlikely to be as effective as killing terrorists, deporting enablers of terrorism, and curbing immigration.

Levellers

i don't think it has much effect on foreign governments but it can help the resistance.

Mandela on Dunnes strikers 'When Nelson Mandela met with them in Dublin in 1990, he said that the stand these twelve workers took helped him to keep going during his time in prison. A number of the workers attended the former South African leader’s funeral last year.'

This day 30 years ago the Dunnes Stores anti-apartheid strike began

Mushroom

Missing the Saturday of the Third Test at Lords! :shock2: Disgraceful behaviour. Consider yourself sent to the naughty corner.

SamsonS

I think its still an important tool of protest or support.
In this particular case it may have an impact on people living in a community who might be ambivalent towards the actions of would be terrorists, or put pressure on Islamic leaders and teachers to be more forthright in their condemnations.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies