Do the ROI Ruling Elite actually want a United Ireland?

GDPR

There has been a lot of speculation (and arguments!) over the years as to whether or not the UK Ruling Elite actually want to keep Northern Ireland however whatever their stated desires do their counterparts in the Republic actually want to take on Northern Ireland? I am pretty certain that a number of them don't; Mary Robinson is infamous for opposing the Hillsborough Agreement from a Unionist stand point for example. What do other people on here think on this issue?

between the bridges

Not unless they've changed their mind since the last Illuminati meeting...

The Field Marshal

The majority of ROI citizens desire a united island provided the Nordies can prove they would be a net asset to the 26 counties.

The Field Marshal

'No' is the short answer to the question.
That's incorrect.
All southern Irish political parties have iterated a desire for a united Ireland.
That remains the position.

realistic1

There has been a lot of speculation (and arguments!) over the years as to whether or not the UK Ruling Elite actually want to keep Northern Ireland however whatever their stated desires do their counterparts in the Republic actually want to take on Northern Ireland? I am pretty certain that a number of them don't; Mary Robinson is infamous for opposing the Hillsborough Agreement from a Unionist stand point for example. What do other people on here think on this issue?
Post Brexit I believe the UK could assert their control on the six counties. There is a massive population in the mainland and if they need the space, they could open the population tap on the six counties in years to come.

The Field Marshal

So basically that is a United Ireland ruled out forever.
Though many Nordies are rotten and useless there are someexceptions.
As time passes and the Nordies understand their plight better common sense will penetrate their thick skulls.

Glenshane4

"do their counterparts in the Republic actually want to take on Northern Ireland? I am pretty certain that a number of them don't;"

But they, nevertheless, preach at us on how we should not respond to Prod tyranny. That is what annoys me about the Free State so-and-sos.

"Mary Robinson is infamous for opposing the Hillsborough Agreement from a Unionist stand point for example."

She complained that the Prods had not been consulted. She did not seem to be concerned that the Catholics of Northern Ireland had not been consulted about the establishment of Prod tyranny in Northern Ireland.

Glenshane4

Though many Nordies are rotten and useless there are some exceptions.
As time passes and the Nordies understand their plight better common sense will penetrate their thick skulls.
This post might constitute racism.

How do you know what will penetrate thick Nordie skulls?

NMunsterman

Post Brexit I believe the UK could assert their control on the six counties. There is a massive population in the mainland and if they need the space, they could open the population tap on the six counties in years to come.
You would be hard-pressed to fill a single-decker bus with the amount of English people who give a bollix or have a clue about Ireland.

Nemesiscorporation

The people in charge of Fina Gael, Fianna Fail, Labour, PBP-SWP and AAA-SP would do anything they could to prevent an United Ireland, regardless of official policies or opinion of membership.

They know full well that DUP and Official Unionists would unite as a single party, making them a power broker which would wreck the cosy cartel in Dublin.

Also the last thing Dublin wants is a manufacturing base such as Belfast with a good port system in the juristiction.

They want to keep their cosy positions in charge. United Ireland would upset that cosy arrangement.

The Field Marshal

The people in charge of Fina Gael, Fianna Fail, Labour, PBP-SWP and AAA-SP would do anything they could to prevent an United Ireland, regardless of official policies or opinion of membership.

They know full well that DUP and Official Unionists would unite as a single party, making them a power broker which would wreck the cosy cartel in Dublin.

Also the last thing Dublin wants is a manufacturing base such as Belfast with a good port system in the juristiction.

They want to keep their cosy positions in charge. United Ireland would upset that cosy arrangement.
That view is incorrect.
All southern Irish political parties would like to see the entire island peacefully governed by the one political authority.
The flag of the Irish republic symbolises this desire.

Dr Pat

I personally think that there would be elements within the Irish political elite who have no real interest in a United Ireland just as there are elements in the populace as a whole with that viewpoint. That said, official policy of all the major parties maybe with the exception of some of the lefties, is in favour of uniting the island in a unitary state.

The intravenous dripfeed to Northern Ireland should be turned off. It might concentrate minds on reality.

Spanner Island

Dunno about the 'elites'... but I'd prefer NI to be made independent tbh... forcing them to get their sh!t together and work together as opposed to the ongoing Stormont sham...

Can't afford a UI anyway... we're broke and will remain so for the foreseeable... and we're not going to bankroll NI like they've become used to... and even if we could afford to I'd be opposed to doing so.

Spanner Island

So basically that is a United Ireland ruled out forever.
The last 40 years combined with the farce that is Stormont and the moronic way discourse constantly degenerates into the auld sectarian sh!te when you watch any current affairs from NI would suggest so... yep.

realistic1

You would be hard-pressed to fill a single-decker bus with the amount of English people who give a bollix or have a clue about Ireland.
That could change overnight, Look how quick the population got behind the Falklands war. The 6 counties could become more important to the Briits Post Brexit.

Breanainn

Unionists haven't moved a whit in relation to the issue post-Brexit, so regardless of attitudes in the Republic, there will no change as long as the North remains apathetic towards unity.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies