Do we have a right to exclude some people from our private lives?

caledhel

We all live in a world of inclusion where we should be kind to everyone we meet. That's fair enough, politeness never goes out of style. But do we have a right to say to some people that we don't really want to know them personally?

It's an important question. Has stalking gone mainstream with celebrity culture and reality shows? Does the media now seek to condition rather than inform? Have the creeps, for a time at least, inherited the Earth?

caledhel

Well that's relieving, I thought I had missed something there. It's okay to make your own decisions and tell anyone who insists on trying to make them for you to fkc off.

Fullforward

We all live in a world of inclusion where we should be kind to everyone we meet. That's fair enough, politeness never goes out of style. But do we have a right to say to some people that we don't really want to know them personally?

It's an important question. Has stalking gone mainstream with celebrity culture and reality shows? Does the media now seek to condition rather than inform? Have the creeps, for a time at least, inherited the Earth?
In that they were always the paid help of some of the most ruthless people to walk the Earth it is all that they have ever done. If you are in doubt you are probably one of those fooled into believing that Section 31 of the Broadcasting Act was an act of kindness by our great leaders who were protecting our delicate ears.

GDPR

Well that's relieving, I thought I had missed something there. It's okay to make your own decisions and tell anyone who insists on trying to make them for you to fkc off.
Does your mum know you are posting here on a school night?

Windowshopper

I have being thinking about this some people who I am acquainted with have being on the sharp end of some pretty nasty abuse online for their political opinions (I don't think it is a coincidence that they are women and the majority if not all the abuse are coming from men). It comes in the form of Twitter messages and emails. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but other people have a right not to hear it if they don't want to. You can't shout abuse at someone across the street for example.

Windowshopper

As for the OP questions yes we do. But like every right it has to be weighted up with every one else's right. For example a father can't use this 'exclusion' right to cut off his children because their rights and needs are on balance more pressing.

GDPR

This forum is a bit like a scratching post for you isn't it? Meooooow
Well if you want a serious answer to the question whether you can just tell everyone to f*uck off, no, the police, Inland Revenue etc are not so easily told if you are a simple pleb.

Otherwise I havent got a clue what you are belly-aching about. Refine your terms and dont waste my time.

caledhel

I have being thinking about this some people who I am acquainted with have being on the sharp end of some pretty nasty abuse online for their political opinions (I don't think it is a coincidence that they are women and the majority if not all the abuse are coming from men). It comes in the form of Twitter messages and emails. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but other people have a right not to hear it if they don't want to. You can't shout abuse at someone across the street for example.
Well perhaps, the yellow press and all that. My concern is the increased penetration into privacy by the media through the inclusion of entertainment into the definition of the public interest. Has the Panopticon been realised without us really realising? Can "Populism" partly be put down to a popular revolt to it? Is that really why the media is so unnerved by it?

Windowshopper

Well perhaps, the yellow press and all that. My concern is the increased penetration into privacy by the media through the inclusion of entertainment into the definition of the public interest. Has the Panopticon been realised without us really realising? Can "Populism" partly be put down to a popular revolt to it? Is that really why the media is so unnerved by it?
I don't think so.

caledhel

Well if you want a serious answer to the question whether you can just tell everyone to f*uck off, no, the police, Inland Revenue etc are not so easily told if you are a simple pleb.

Otherwise I havent got a clue what you are belly-aching about. Refine your terms and dont waste my time.
I was really sort of talking about one's own life decisions like who you want to marry, what work you want to do, whom you wish to associate with etc. within the context of a law abiding life.

Can you demand from society that you be protected from the mentally ill, for example, even if you are a heterosexual, Christian, European, scrupulous man? Seems to me that being any of those things makes you morally equivalent to a Nazi these days. I sort of object to that, srsly.

It also seems to me that the media seems to be editorially driven by mad people and I think that other people have noticed that too.

fat finger

A confused OP. Most people know the answer to the question by age 14 or 15. If you don't want to associate with them, tell 'em you're busy, doing other stuff, staying in to study your insects.

GDPR

I was really sort of talking about one's own life decisions like who you want to marry, what work you want to do, whom you wish to associate with etc. within the context of a law abiding life.

Can you demand from society that you be protected from the mentally ill, for example, even if you are a heterosexual, Christian, European, scrupulous man? Seems to me that being any of those things makes you morally equivalent to a Nazi these days. I sort of object to that, srsly.

It also seems to me that the media seems to be editorially driven by mad people and I think that other people have noticed that too.
F8uck off, you boring little fart.

Watcher2

Celebrities/wannabes use the media for their own needs. When they do that, they give up the right to exclude the press at their will. If you don't se the media, your rights are greatly increased.

Watcher2

Ok, WTF?

New Threads

Most Replies