• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Do we live in a Republic, or a US Multi-national Dependency?

clearmurk

I’m getting increasingly concerned at the amount and prominence of airtime being provided by broadcasters to multi-nationals to promote their agenda.

It seems that this is a manifestation of the” big money is good” mantra which seems to have invaded many European countries, including our own, over more recent years.

Whether it’s claims regarding numbers of people to be employed in IT, or numbers of people employed in Jobsbridge, or amounts of taxation being paid, or suppression of comment, it seems that the State is being willingly taken over.

“Ireland is good for business” seems to equate to “the Irish will tolerate anything”.

Ren84

Ah Jaysus. Not another one of these moan threads. :roll:

tipp revolution

If morals counted for anything, multinationals wouldnt have the free reign they do.

The Old Woman

I’m getting increasingly concerned at the amount and prominence of airtime being provided by broadcasters to multi-nationals to promote their agenda.

It seems that this is a manifestation of the” big money is good” mantra which seems to have invaded many European countries, including our own, over more recent years.

Whether it’s claims regarding numbers of people to be employed in IT, or numbers of people employed in Jobsbridge, or amounts of taxation being paid, or suppression of comment, it seems that the State is being willingly taken over.

“Ireland is good for business” seems to equate to “the Irish will tolerate anything”.

We should be worried and it is not just US multi nationals.

Unfortunately the minute reasoned questions are poised such as provide the the risk assessment carried out of this policy,
what limitations are in place per FDI verses core domestic development, the cost of provision of FDI including the full cost of running sections like the IDA, the effect on core taxation, the counter measures on jobs where the FDI conflicks with existing businesses,etc
there is an immediate out cry.

Party politics means politicans are interested in that which they perceive is job creation- it is a good news story and they believe gives rise to votes - but to evaluate the cost benefit to the taxpayer the full story must be looked at.

I have yet to hear one of our esteemed investigative jouralists "tackle" a politicans on the complete story and on the spot ask our politicans to define the cost analysis of this "highly" valued policy verses domestic development. Strange that isn't it?

Last edited:

Spanner Island

I don't suppose you've got any specifics in mind...? or God forbid any links?

Lazy arsed OP...

Zoo...

Lonewolfe

I agree. I hate hearing about multi-nationals coming here with their smelly technology companies creating jobs for people. Fukers!:mad:

clearmurk

I don't suppose you've got any specifics in mind...? or God forbid any links?

Lazy arsed OP...

Zoo...
I certainly have specifics but the libel laws don't allow me the risk of specifying them.

Not every opinion needs a link.

If you don't agree with the OP, then why not. Otherwise take your abuse elsewhere.

drummed

I thought we lived in an EU dictatorship:confused:

Now i'm totally confused....................

Lonewolfe

I certainly have specifics but the libel laws don't allow me the risk of specifying them.

Not every opinion needs a link.

If you don't agree with the OP, then why not. Otherwise take your abuse elsewhere.
You said our stance on multinationals is more or less an attitude of, "Ireland will tolerate anything".

Can you at least give one example of something we're tolerating which, in your opinion, we shouldn't be?

daveL

A rambling op rammed with hearsay and vague accusations.

Rubbish

Analyzer

Effectively this country is a county council of the EU, and a tax haven for the yanks.

The funniest part of this is that the EU is not happy with it being a tax haven, and only tolerate it on the basis that the it is a prop for the Irish element of the Eurozone ponzischeme which cannot be allowed fall in the intermediate future.

The Old Woman

I agree. I hate hearing about multi-nationals coming here with their smelly technology companies creating jobs for people. Fukers!:mad:
Creating jobs for people

So is your position that jobs are to be created at any undefined cost to the taxpayer ?:confused:

Mossy Heneberry

Why are you worried about multi-nationals?

They didn't bring down our economy.

The people that ruined the economy were the bankers, politicians, rentseekers, senior civil servants and a large portion of the public.

Last edited:

ChickenBiryani

I think this and other threads on this board are good reason for why Ireland is absolutely fvcked. You simply cannot question anything whether its taxes, public sector pay and conditions, the sanctity of the corpo tax rate, Medical cards for Michael Smurfit, means testing of benefits etc etc etc without getting completely shot down in flames.

The Irish people are figuratively speaking just collectively squabbling over the lifeboats on the titanic.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies