• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Do we need an All Ireland Police Force an Irish FBI?

IbrahaimMohamad

The Border make it difficult to police a substantial portion of the Island that is a haven for smugglers, fuel laundering, cigarette smuggling, counterfeit goods etc.

This causes a big lose to the Exchequer both North and South. Is there scope for further more integrated cooperation in policing in the form of and Irish Island type of Fedral Bureau of Investigations as it were?

All that was necessary was to write a code of criminal law that would exist along site that of each separate jurisdiction, but being common to both of them, and set up an new force that would operate across boundaries to hunt down the Criminals and bring them to justice.

The new force could also tackle drugs, subversion, and major organised crime.

The Criminals have become multinational as it were and now its time the police force did the same.

compliant

What authority would they be responsible to? Who would pay for their budget? What court would try them? What laws would be applicable?

I like the idea, but its too unfeasible to put into practice. Only way you would have an all Ireland police force would be an all Ireland state.

Astral Peaks

Two different things there, which are you talking about?

IbrahaimMohamad

What authority would they be responsible to? Who would pay for their budget? What court would try them? What laws would be applicable?

I like the idea, but its too unfeasible to put into practice. Only way you would have an all Ireland police force would be an all Ireland state.
Fund it through 50/50 funding from both Governments

Criminals could be tried either noth or south!

IbrahaimMohamad

Two different things there, which are you talking about?
If we needed a Federal type treaty to set it up why not. It must be possible for a bright lawyer to come up with a suitable formula.

IbrahaimMohamad

How about an EU-wide force?

Few Irish criminal gangs don't have a spanish connection. I'd say an Irish-Spanish common police force would be more productive than an Ireland-NI force.
Let's look to cooperation on law enforcement on this Island as a priority before we look to Europe.

B

Boggle

The problems we face are probably faced by every other country which shares a border with another.

Be careful what you wish for because we will end up with a European version of the FBI if we aren't careful and we will find ourselves suddenly beholden to federal laws as well as state laws over which we will have no control.

IbrahaimMohamad

The problems we face are probably faced by every other country which shares a border with another.

Be careful what you wish for because we will end up with a European version of the FBI if we aren't careful and we will find ourselves suddenly beholden to federal laws as well as state laws over which we will have no control.
An all Ireland Police force is a very different to an EU Fedral Law Code and EU police force which would deliver a United States of Europe.

B

Boggle

An all Ireland Police force is a very different to an EU Fedral Law Code and EU police force which would deliver a United States of Europe.
Only by a few degrees.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful but, to be honest, I'd rather put the effort into things which are causing the majority of our problems such as the revolving door prison system.

IbrahaimMohamad

Only by a few degrees.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful but, to be honest, I'd rather put the effort into things which are causing the majority of our problems such as the revolving door prison system.
Cracking down on smugling and fuel laundering would increase tax revenue and fund more prision spaces in a modern cost efficient prision.

B

Boggle

Cracking down on smugling and fuel laundering would increase tax revenue and fund more prision spaces in a modern cost efficient prision.
Screw tax revenue. Make people safer by cracking down on real crimes.
Even if we wiped smuggling out completely we'll still be letting violent crims off with warnings.

teapot

It is fairly obvious that the structure of laws in both Ireland and Northern Ireland need overhauling. Both are suffering from what the British left behind - a cluster of sometimes outmoded laws piled on top of English Common Law - mainly a rich source of income for lawyers and a minefield for the rest of us.

I believe that what both need is a Criminal Code - where all the Criminal Offences are in one book. Where the lawyers, citizens and the Police can find things. You would find that it makes the Police more efficient in determining what charges to lay, etc., and their powers (of arrest, etc., ) are clearly stated for anyone to read.

But due to the peculiar relationship of the Two Ireland Jurisdictions as it now is, they would have to be copies of each other. One does not need a Federal system for that; and we could not have a Federal system anyway as they are two seperate countries, at the moment, anyway...

There are countries in the world with Criminal Codes - it would make more sense studying them than sending Councillors to New York for the Big Green Pi$$up.

Hitch 22

The Border make it difficult to police a substantial portion of the Island that is a haven for smugglers, fuel laundering, cigarette smuggling, counterfeit goods etc.

This causes a big lose to the Exchequer both North and South. Is there scope for further more integrated cooperation in policing in the form of and Irish Island type of Fedral Bureau of Investigations as it were?

All that was necessary was to write a code of criminal law that would exist along site that of each separate jurisdiction, but being common to both of them, and set up an new force that would operate across boundaries to hunt down the Criminals and bring them to justice.

The new force could also tackle drugs, subversion, and major organised crime.

The Criminals have become multinational as it were and now its time the police force did the same.
[video=youtube;S3C82Q5I80U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3C82Q5I80U[/video]

Popular Threads

Most Replies