• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Do we need Australian style penalties for not voting.

slippy wicket

The Aussies have a system of fines I believe, for not voting. I'd go one step further, and make a persons dole or personal tax credits dependant on carrying out your duty as a citizen.
Vote however and for whomever you wish, but just vote.
Nothing is more irritating than the person cribbing and moaning about the state of the country, and never bothering to vote.

What do the wise heads of p.ie think.

ManUnited

The Aussies have a system of fines I believe, for not voting. I'd go one step further, and make a persons dole or personal tax credits dependant on carrying out your duty as a citizen.
Nothing is more irritating than the person cribbing and moaning about the state of the country, and never bothering to vote.

It is only a paltry fine. 10 dollars, I think, when I was there. A lot of people ignored it or went to the voting booth and just ticked a box at random.

slippy wicket

It is only a paltry fine.10 dollars I think when I was there.A lot of people ignored it or went to the voting booth and just ticked a box at random.
That is a problem alright, you don't want people voting for the Monster Raving Loony party or libertas (god forbid), just for the craic.

GDPR

It is only a paltry fine. 10 dollars, I think, when I was there. A lot of people ignored it or went to the voting booth and just ticked a box at random.
You'll get the donkey vote in Ireland too.

Ulster-Lad

I can think of some other Australian laws I would rather see brought in here. However the voting one is not among them.

james5001

So, say the parties were all similar to FF, people should have to legitimate the system and vote? No way!

Ironically, we have a system were the major parties are similar to FF. (FG and LAB)

Schomberg

I guess in a democracy we also exercise the right not to vote.

Niall996

No one should be forced to vote. It's a democratic right not to endorse some gombeen.

R3volution_R3ady

You're a right little tyrant. No wonder you're a FG'er. :roll:

Angler

No , we do not . I've come to believe that it's a deliberate choice for many, not to vote , a form of protest .Futile , but still a legitimate course of action and not deserving of incurring a sanction .

GDPR

No , we do not . I've come to believe that it's a deliberate choice for many, not to vote , a form of protest .Futile , but still a legitimate course of action and not deserving of incurring a sanction .
Don't you think that in a democracy citizens have duties and that one duty is to vote?

Niall996

Don't you think that in a democracy citizens have duties and that one duty is to vote?
Duty to vote for who? You can't be obliged to vote for someone you don't want to support. That's ridiculous.

slippy wicket

You're a right little tyrant. No wonder you're a FG'er. :roll:
Why thank you. I love you too. ;)
One of the reasons I refrained from electoral politics, my lack of regard for democracy would be a bit of an issue I think.

shiel

We spent nearly 800 years fighting for the right to vote.

To show contempt for the right to vote is, therefore, contemptible and hypocritical.

Yet the usual brain dead suspects on these threads are advocating such.

slippy wicket

If they find the current crowd so reprehensible that the wouldn't vote for them at gunpoint, then why not run themselves and see if they can do any better.

Ribeye

Authoritarian madness,

GDPR

Duty to vote for who? You can't be obliged to vote for someone you don't want to support. That's ridiculous.
It is a duty and a privilege to vote as a citizen of your country.

If you voted you would be helping to shape the next government, maybe voting for the person/party you dislike least.

If you don't like any of the policies of the current political parties have you considered setting up your own party, or joining like-minded people?

Who would you support? What policies would you support?