• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Do you believe the Republic of Ireland or the United States will ever join the Commonwealth?

SJMcMahon

I've not given much serious thought to this, but I do think it's an interesting question. While there's reasons of pride and national history for why neither the United States or Ireland would join the Commonwealth, do you think they'd ever join? If they were to join the Commonwealth, for what reason do you think they would i.e. trade, culture, sports, ect?

- P.S. I'm an American; and I'm not advocating for or against membership.

off with their heads

sorry old bean your looking for crump or keithm to indulge in this commonwealth love in:) call back later:rolleyes:

TiredOfBeingTired

Re USA: How is NAFTA (USA + Canada + Mexico) working?
Re Ireland: Commonwealth is highly unlikely. EU will come first for a long time.

BlackLion

The way our economic world is failing. all of us in the west will be all commoninwealth.

TommyO'Brien

No and No.

BTW the US and France both considered joining in the 1960s.

SJMcMahon

I wonder if there's a way to have a limited membership based on trade alone. The U.S., U.K., Australia, Canada and New Zealand already have a strong alliance, so there's no benefit in that aspect of membership. Ireland is neutral, so there's no reason for that, either.

There's some problems with NAFTA, but it's not that bad. All three of our economies (U.S., Mexico and Canada) are already heavy connected to each other. We're Canada's largest trading partner, as well as Mexico's. Though, the NAFTA talk is getting off topic. lol

sowhat

The EU and US are already negotiating a free trade agreement.

Troy_337

No. :)

rant_and_rave

I've not given much serious thought to this, but I do think it's an interesting question. While there's reasons of pride and national history for why neither the United States or Ireland would join the Commonwealth, do you think they'd ever join? If they were to join the Commonwealth, for what reason do you think they would i.e. trade, culture, sports, ect?

- P.S. I'm an American; and I'm not advocating for or against membership.
The role of the Commonwealth has been largely superceded by the UN.

Red_93

The commonwealth is entirely pointless. It is not a free trade area. It is not free movement area. What is it actually for?

I'm not sure it actually exists.
Why of course it exists, and it plays the monumentously important role of deluding the Brits into thinking they still run the world!