• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Do you feel sorry for Brian Cowen?

odlum

I note one or two posters said today words to the effect that some members here "hate" certain politicians as if it was personal or something. I don't believe this to be the case. In fact I feel sorry on a personal level for Brian Cowen. Even the most heartless axe to grind contributors would probrably agree with me that commentary on him in recent years from both outside and inside the country via the media must have been, more often then not, upsetting for him personally. Alot of it has been malicious, calculated and pretty heartless stuff all starting with the paintings a couple of years back. Alot of it has targeted the way he looks which I don't like either. He has been getting a rough time.

Do you feel for him on a personal level? Or is the media just showcasing the way the population really feel?

hellsbells

No !

nakatomi

Jay Leno referring to our brian as a "drunken moran" , the shame of it.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Some comments are of course way over the top, the violence, the downright stupidity (who thinks "Clowen" is funny?) reflects more on the poster than their target.

But I don't feel any sympathy for him. After all, he got us into this mess, or at least contributed in some significant way. And he can always walk away at any time, the money he has made should cover a few nights out. He chooses, or rather fights, to stay in a job that pays vastly more money than you or I will ever see in our lifetime.

Bishop Casey

There is no need to feel sorry for the taoiseach he can handle the sort of commentary the OP mentioned. Instead of sympathy people could actually listen to what he says as opposed to how it is presented because if they did they would realise that he is the only leader of any political party in the state who has demonstrated an ability to lead a government that can correct a budget defecit.

jmcc

As a person, perhaps. As he is one of those responsible for driving the country's economy into the ground, no. But what can the Irish people do to the parasite? He's going to have a comfortable retirement with multiple pensions while Irish people die from the Winter cold because they can't pay their electrical, oil or gas bills.

Regards...jmcc

eoghanacht

Let me see. Son of a rural publican of FF stock. His life already planned out for him. Given better opportunities than most inherits daddy's seat as daddy did before him. No, it's not personal. I despise them all.

I'm sure Brian would have rather spent his life as a barfly solicitor, having the laugh with 'de boys'.

I think his actions and his parties were/are treasonus but i habour no ill will towards him as a man. I just want to see him tried in a court of law :)

councilkid

After playing a major role in bringing the country to its knees, he'll head off into the sunset with a big fat pension. So, no, no sympathy.

Mitsui2

Sometimes I think that Cowen is being set up to take the political fall for all that happened. Don't get me wrong - he deserves an awful lot of the credit (if that's the word). But I've seen or heard nothing that makes me think he was as personally venal as the likes of Bertie and many of Bertie's cronies. Cowen instead had that good old FF "virtue" - party loyalty above all. He did as he was told, and what he was told to do led us to where we are. I suspect that in the long run he'll be metaphorically crucified, while those who used him - and again I mean Bertie, to name but one - will just shrug.

ICallely

I would hope that he understands the pain and suffering that happened on his watch, both in Finance and as "leader".

If he does, and he is suffering as a result, then yes, I'd feel a little bit sorry for him.

IF he doesn't, and still thinks it is someone else's fault, then no, I don't.

I feel a lot more sorrow over the waste he and his cohorts have brought to my country. And the despair his failures have engendered, the opportunities lost, the desolation and blighting of the environment, the neglect of the schools and hospitals, the focus on money over people, the creation of a class society, and the proliferation of enterprise killing quangos, stupid rules and petty hassles that citizens have to endure to survive.

johntrenchard

I don't even get that?

Why should people not feel sorry for Cowen because David Davin Power has a mic?
You didn't get the memo on that DDP pic?

Its at an FF Ard Fheis. Ask yourself - why are FFers clamouring to get onto the telly in that picture?

Hint: gombeenism

TommyO'Brien

No. He brought it on himself and can't blame others.

johntrenchard

I don't even get that?

Why should people not feel sorry for Cowen because David Davin Power has a mic?
here's the video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3elLmrCmOqo]YouTube - Nine News, RTE One (Irish TV), Saturday 28th February 2009[/ame]

its a classic.

FreshStart

I have no sympathy whatsoever. He's physically destroyed the country but what's worse...he's psychologically destroyed us too. When we can no longer dream...we can no longer live.

Popular Threads

Most Replies