Do you feel sorry for Brian Cowen?

Samell

Errr..... No!

Was this a question on Mock the Week?
"Questions unlikely to get a yes answer?"

Answers included,

Will FF win the next election?
Is this drunken moron an effective politician (Jay Leno)
Is Mary Harney for real?
Can Anglo Irish really be saved?
Will NAMA actually make a profit.

Clareboy

No, he is a traitor who has destroyed our country and if he is tired of being Taoiseach - he knows what to do!

johndodger

No. Absolutely not. I don't hate the man but I have absolutely no sympathy for what he and his vile cult have done to me and my country.

rubensni

And there's always that song ..Ber Cowan was an undertaker who brought the swimming pool to Clara (or words to that effect)..I'd love the full lyrics of that.
The original was a satirical song called My Uncle's in the Dail. Biffo just changed a few words to "honour" his late father :rolleyes:

Here's Biffo's:

It was in the year of ’69,
Ber Cowen he did get in,
He was always fond of politics,
And the seat we’d knew he’d win.

Oh Ber Cowen he is a TD, me boys.
Ber Cowen he is a TD,
And he got Clara a swimming pool,
Because it wasn’t near the sea.

And he built a brand new pub, me boys
And let the auld one fall,
Cos it wasn’t up to date enough,
For a member of the Dáil.
Here's the original:

My Uncle's in the Dail

It was at the last election that my uncle Pat got in
He was always fond of politics and the seat I knew he'd win
He made such pretty promises to the people one and all
That's how he got elected as a member of the Dáil

Oh me uncle is a TD, my boys, me uncle is a TD
And that's the very reason why nothing bothers me
My brother was made a foreman though he'd never built a wall
Yerra, but then you see my uncle, he's a member of the Dáil

Now, Pat's no good at learning, sure he never went to school
But that's no disadvantage in this country as a rule
He was in the county council but you know that means damn all
Yerra, but hats off to my uncle, he's a member of the Dáil

Oh my uncle is a TD, my boys, my uncle is a TD
And that's the very reason why nothing bothers me
I've a pension for my father though he's not blind at all
Yarra, but then you see my uncle, he's a member of the Dáil

Now, he's not fond of arguing, sure he's quieter than a mouse
Anyway there's no swear words allowed up there in Leinster House
He never votes with either side - Fine Gael or Fianna Fail
So long as he draws his salary as a member of the Dáil

And my sister's going to marry a minister's secretary
She met him up in Dublin in the Gresham at a ball
That's how they got acquainted, through my uncle in the Dáil

Now, we are the finest family that ever yet was seen
We make a tidy packet from the making of poiteen
It goes across the border and on up to Donegal
And they drink it in the lobbies with my uncle in the Dáil

And my mother got a pension at the age of forty three
Oh we draw family allowance though we've got no kids at all
Yarra, but then you see my uncle, he's a member of the Dáil
Here's the Biffster singing his version:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j8F-9nmZ5I"]YouTube - An Taoiseach Brian Cowen Singing[/ame]

Last edited:

GrahamB

Of course we don't feel bad for him. He is a lazy self serving politician whose big attribute seems to be his sheer brilliance at ignoring the fact nobody wants him there. We all want him out and he still thinks he's brilliant.

Look he is the leader of a whole friken country, he needs to act like one. The sessions, the attitude to tough questions the image is all wrong. He has no respect for us and we have no respect for him.

I honestly think, he thinks he has the next general election covered.

johndodger

I do feel a bit sorry for him. I've no doubt that he's probably a good TD and even possibly a good party leader. The problem is that he isn't connecting with the public on a national level.
How has he been a good TD? What legislation did he bring to the house as a backbench TD? How has be been a good party leader when he has seen his party's poll ratings halve in the 3 years he's been in charge? What's your definition of a good TD or party leader?

The country is not ruined
That's debatable.

The world doesnt give a sh1te about Ireland as we dont give a sh1te about the world
Really? Who do we sell our exports to? Where do we get our imports from?>? Who is currently bankrolling Ireland inc.?

Politics gets people emotional. Economics is cold figures. I am more than 50 and when I compare the figures today with the figures of even 50 years ago when you were born it makes me feel real good
You're happy so many people are suffering and so many lives have been ruined by your party?

I play the politics game as much as anyone but behind it all I trust the members of Dail Eireann to do the right thing for the country. When I was young and emotional about politics I banged the table at FF letting the ABFF off the hook. Then I watched the ABFF letting FF off the hook. Today is an example of the politicians doing whats right for the country.
How so, exactly? What have they done that's right for the country (as opposed to what is right for them), and why were they not doing it during the previous 13 years in government.

stoichkov

a bone-idle, unimaginative, uncaring gombeen who will retire on a huge fat pension despite running the country into the ground.

no, i don't feel sorry for him. i do, however, sometimes wonder how in the name of jaysus a person like this ended up as taoiseach.

Biffomania

I feel so sorry for him that when he's finally deposed I seriously intend launching a campaign which will do for Brian Cowen annually what 5th November does for Guy Fawkes.

He owes all of us, and future generations, big time. To compensate for his monumental failures in his entire public life, and to compensate in some small measure for the absolute misery he has inflicted upon us and on our childrens' children, the least his memory can do in return is to give us an excuse to annually celebrate the happy and liberating occasion of his overdue departure as Taoiseach.

Imagine the fun of kids calling to houses and asking for "A cent for the Biffo" and to round off the night of fun we would have bonfires and fireworks and burn the Biffo effigy.

It's time we had a "Republican" version of the, let's face it, somewhat staid English Guy Fawkes Night, and what better than our very own "Drunken Moronic Biffo" night when kids and adults alike will celebrate into the future the historic downfall of Ireland's very own homegrown Oliver Cromwell.

stoichkov

How has he been a good TD? What legislation did he bring to the house as a backbench TD?
this one bugs me too. at the height of the boom years, offaly was named as the poorest county in ireland in a national study/survey.

now i've spent a lot of time in offaly myself (i've family down there), and chechnya it ain't. however it would equally never be mistaken for a massively affluent, prosperous, modern part of the world.

so if brian cowen is considered a good local td, you'd have to wonder what the measuring standard is.

i'd say it's more likely the biffoes love him for simple chauvinistic, parish-pump reasons, i.e. "one of our own" becoming leader of the country.

antiestablishmentarian

muffin

The humiliation of him being called a drunken moron. Stupid man. I dont care if he wants to drink in his free time but not on duty. The fact is we need to give good impression to other countries including to attracting inward investments. We have nearly more than 40,000 jobs created from US companies alone here in Ireland. The investors and future investors may think twice. We are the gateway island for US compaies to the EU. I dont care less about him being drunk but its Ireland credibility that am worried about.

Sorry for him. Am unemployed and have good qualifications. Am too depressed to be worrying about him at least he can afford to support himself in a good lifestyle. I'll crawl off now to my corner.

FreshStart

On VB tonite, he was so reasonable and fair. It was admirable how Vinnie could separate the personal from the political. Vincent Browne is a wonderful, fair human being.

Unfortunately, I'm suffering from a bad dose of schadenfreude right now so the answer to your question is NO.

Tomas Mor

I would normally feel sorry for him, but does he feel sorry for himself ? I think a lot of his downfall comes from his sense of entitlement and arrogance. Like turning up for that radio interview, his singing in Offaly on day of coming back as Taoiseach and telling media to move back- the people wanted to see HIM That comes from being relected without question all the time with huge vote, and a fawning media like DDPof RTE who told us he had everyone "in stitches" at 3.30 am in the morning in Galway with his renowned mimicry and craic over several pints.

magherafelt

yes, I feel sorry for him.... I believe he is a good guy, but very much in the wrong place at the wrong time. He probably feels he has a FF tradition to uphold, no more than Coughlan, Lenihan, Ahern, etc.
But you can't help getting the sense that the man is with-holding some true feelings at the minute. He probably feels that his job is to defend the indefensible, and people are getting the impression that his heart isn't in it any more.
He has a conscience; people who know him have described him as appearing a 'broken man' lately... Id prefer him any day over Lenihan, Coughlan, and Fahey...

anyways, it wont matter soon... FF are toast

Tomas Mor

yes, I feel sorry for him.... I believe he is a good guy, but very much in the wrong place at the wrong time. He probably feels he has a FF tradition to uphold, no more than Coughlan, Lenihan, Ahern, etc.
But you can't help getting the sense that the man is with-holding some true feelings at the minute. He probably feels that his job is to defend the indefensible, and people are getting the impression that his heart isn't in it any more.
He has a conscience; people who know him have described him as appearing a 'broken man' lately... Id prefer him any day over Lenihan, Coughlan, and Fahey...

anyways, it wont matter soon... FF are toast
I agree with a lot of that. But might his disposition now be partly due to the fact that he knows he was asleep at the wheel as MOF and Taoiseach,and has partly led us to where we are and has as you say, a conscience, and is essentially probably decent enough to know this.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies