Do you feel we will be better off in 5 years time compared to now.

General Urko

A straight forward question and of course,I mean it in relation to our economy.
It's in part prompted by Leo on Yatesy, this morning, talking about his private sector pension plan, where he said in 5 years time, wages will certainly have gone up.
I am not a catstrophist by nature, not at all, but reading the tea leaves, I cannot see Brexit working out well for us at all, though I respect the Britz and their Government in taking that decision. I think Trump will take his FDI lads back also.
We have an aging population, though not as far as other countries, though it will necessitate increasing health care spend to keep us at the level, where we are. It is of course also used as an unjustifiable excuse to destroy state pensions.
So in my opinion, we will be worse off 5-10 years down the road, or at least most of us will!

Eire1976

It's in part prompted by Leo on Yatesy, this morning, talking about his private sector pension plan, where he said in 5 years time, wages will certainly have gone up.
I am not a catstrophist by nature, not at all, but reading the tea leaves, I cannot see Brexit working out well for us at all, though I respect the Britz and their Government in taking that decision. I think Trump will take his FDI lads back also.
We have an aging population, though not as far as other countries, though it will necessitate increasing health care spend to keep us at the level, where we are. It is of course also used as an unjustifiable excuse to destroy state pensions.
So in my opinion, we will be worse off 5-10 years down the road, or at least most of us will!

To be honest, I don't.

I think Ireland is being moved into being a little globalist satellite state of the EU where national culture and identity will be sneered at and immigration of ethnic minorities will become an issue that affects everyone.

This burden will drag the economy down as we see white flight from Ireland.

fat finger

No.
Ireland is Puerto Rico Mark II.
For more information on Puerto Rico debt crisis, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rican_government-debt_crisis

im axeled

how many are better off today than five years ago, not many, because the majority of the workforce are not earning enough to pay tax on it, the vald guy will be better off, thats certain, his goverment has since 2011 directed the irish workforce in a low waged direction, i cannot see them changing tack on this

Mad as Fish

how many are better off today than five years ago, not many, because the majority of the workforce are not earning enough to pay tax on it, the vald guy will be better off, thats certain, his goverment has since 2011 directed the irish workforce in a low waged direction, i cannot see them changing tack on this
Spot on!

We are certainly a lot worse off than five years ago and it seems to get worse month by month and I am not just saying that for political effect. I am doing the same work for less money than I was five years ago despite my best efforts in trying to get the rates up. Wage increases are for the select few it seems.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Better off?

If people learn that all these crises are little more than easy media fodder, and focus instead on the parts of their lives which make life worth living, then they'll be better off.

Brexit and the rest will come and go, life is there to be lived

Happycamping

I feel we will be better off in 5 years time. The economy is on the up. Of course everything goes in cycles. Thats the society we live in.

Last edited:

Congalltee

In 5 years...
President Pence will have been elected
PM May will be stepping down
Taoiseach Martin will be good for the builders
President of the EU Council, Enda Kenny...

Strengths
English speaking low tax economy
Young educated workforce

Weakness
Over reliance on FDI
Debt crisis
Low infrastructure spending

Opportunities
Brexit
Reunification

Threats
Common tax
Trump claws back FDI
Brexit is as bad as possible

General Urko

In 5 years...
President Pence will have been elected
PM May will be stepping down
Taoiseach Martin will be good for the builders
President of the EU Council, Enda Kenny...

Strengths
English speaking low tax economy
Young educated workforce

Weakness
Over reliance on FDI
Debt crisis
Low infrastructure spending

Opportunities
Brexit
Reunification

Threats
Common tax
Trump claws back FDI
Brexit is as bad as possible
The Young educated workforce is vastly over rated and the really genuinely talented ones will most likely run out of here!
Brexit is hard to see as an opportunity for us or The Britz!
Reunification will never happen, due to THe CNR community up North voting in sufficient numbers to retain THe Union and very sensibly so! Scotland (which could prove a threat) is vastly more likely to leave The Union!
There's zero possiblity Enda will be President Of The EU Council!

HarshBuzz

I'll personally almost certainly be better off.

Although I'll also be 5 years older. :shock:

Marcos the black

This is P.ie. No one ever feels "better" or "good"...
It's just varying degrees of misery :D

Marcos the black

Or BS

In your case mostly BS

Mind you telling the people about the wonderful booming economy last election backfired pretty badly for the blueshirts .
Yeah. The people get the govt they deserve. And we've got ours :D
Enjoy it.

General Urko

Spot on!

We are certainly a lot worse off than five years ago and it seems to get worse month by month and I am not just saying that for political effect. I am doing the same work for less money than I was five years ago despite my best efforts in trying to get the rates up. Wage increases are for the select few it seems.
Public sector wage increases/'RESTORATION my Hole' will also be coming back to bite us in the arse as well!

General Urko

I'll personally almost certainly be better off.

Although I'll also be 5 years older. :shock:
Why? Will you have gone from €193 per week on the dole to €230 on the state OAP?
Or are you in receipt of the really lucrative dole i.e. in a public sector role or public sector pension?

New Threads

Most Replies