Do you have friends on the other side of the divide?

fluffykontbiscuits

How many of you in Norn Iron have friends that are the opposite side of the divide? Do you have Catholic and Protestant friends? Do you ever argue about politics or avoid the subject?

fluffykontbiscuits

But you can still sit down and have a laugh at the end of it all too cant you? Thats the important thing!

Garza

Yeah got many friends on the other side. Never debate politics though, sometimes we banter each other about sectarianism, they might say "you black b*****d" and I reply "fenian ******************************", but its all in good jest.

I think you would be surprised how amicable normal everyday people are up here. Its, as always the loud radicals who give us a bad name and would try to persuade others that we all hate each other up here.

Anglo Celt

And yet ironically, growing up in West Cork, I had no Roman Catholic friends that I hung out with and knew very very few Roman Catholics until I moved to the city to start working. That wouldn't be an unknown occurrence for people growing up in rural Ireland. And when I did start interacting with Roman Catholics here, some of them never missed an opportunity to point out that I was a Prod. And not in any funny sort of way.

Arracht

And yet ironically, growing up in West Cork, I had no Roman Catholic friends that I hung out with and knew very very few Roman Catholics until I moved to the city to start working. That wouldn't be an unknown occurrence for people growing up in rural Ireland. And when I did start interacting with Roman Catholics here, some of them never missed an opportunity to point out that I was a Prod. And not in any funny sort of way.
That's Cork people for you, shower of langers. petunia

Never had a problem growing up as a Protestant in Dublin, few silly questions from people, particularly school friends (Don't you believe in Mary? and the like) but no issues.

As to the political divide, I know quite a few northern unionists, never had any issues on a personal level but never really discussed politics with them. Had a few stupid questions from them about being a Prod in the south too though :lol:

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie

PatsyDuffy LiamLynch

I didn't even know there was a divide. I don't pledge allegiance to any money grabbing, detrimental church or organization.

vinoboy

Have several close RC friends and many acquaintances .They know my views and approach to life ,no difficulties .Discuss politics sometimes ,in an objective way and agree to disagee or agree.
The way threads are started and titled almost automatically takes us in to opposing camps , deliberately so , by some.

SevenStars

How many of you in Norn Iron have friends that are the opposite side of the divide? Do you have Catholic and Protestant friends? Do you ever argue about politics or avoid the subject?
You are not the sharpest crayon in the box are you fluffy?

The Unionists on here are very sympathetic to the indiscriminate violence of the Loyalist death squads and to a man they regard the rabid animals of the RUC and UDR as "heroes"....Therefore no matter what they say in answer to your silly question its obvious that they dont.

I would suggest to you that you actually vist the six counties...But though I think a good thrashing would be good for you I would fear that your stupidity could leave permanently scarred or worse at the hands of Unionists (who really would see you as just another Taig).

Ifor Bach

Website
golang.pl

The Unionists on here are very sympathetic to the indiscriminate violence of the Loyalist death squads and to a man they regard the rabid animals of the RUC and UDR as "heroes"....Therefore no matter what they say in answer to your silly question its obvious that they dont.

I would suggest to you that you actually vist the six counties...But though I think a good thrashing would be good for you I would fear that your stupidity could leave permanently scarred or worse at the hands of Unionists (who really would see you as just another Taig).
Nurse! Quick! Nurse! Up the dosage! Nurse! Nurse!

Darren H

It's time to play the music,
It's time to light the lights,
It's time for Cartoon Bigot,
To spout her usual sh1te.

[I can't post pictures, but suggestions as to which muppet are welcome]

DerryBee

I think you would be surprised how amicable normal everyday people are up here. Its, as always the loud radicals who give us a bad name and would try to persuade others that we all hate each other up here.
I agree.
My family and I have many Protestant and Catholic friends and generally we do not discuss politics, but whenever we do we always have a laugh and engage in harmless banter...:D

former wesleyan

Shush !! You'll wake up Clanrickard !! Things like that never happen in the Rebel County.

fluffykontbiscuits

Blah blah blah, are you friends with any NI Prods SS?

New Threads

Most Replies