• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Do you prefer the Synoptics to John and Paul?

GDPR

And if so why?

Personally I prefer the Gospel of St John and the Pauline Epistles; I will explain why later.

Prester Jim

Always preferred George myself.

GDPR

And if so why?

Personally I prefer the Gospel of St John and the Pauline Epistles; I will explain why later.
I prefer a good book to "the good book", maybe I'm missing out on something, but it's too late for me now.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Of course there is always the herecy of St Ringo. I shall move to the library in order to consult the most obscure thoughts of the most obscure Orthodox Russian bishop I can find on the matter.

Bit of ecstatic backward walking and I'm sure the job will be oxo.

eoghanacht

And if so why?

No. Please. Don't. You. Demented. Freak.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I wonder whether this beauty of a thread was launched in 'culture and community' and some mod of good sense moved it into Dingley Dell.

If so, thanks.

ne0ica

And if so why?

I never really thought about it. Some of the stories in synoptics are not in John. Other stories are unique to John. Paul letters the way they are barked out at Mass they sound like a list of instructions.

Last edited:

Rural

Of course there is always the herecy of St Ringo. I shall move to the library in order to consult the most obscure thoughts of the most obscure Orthodox Russian bishop I can find on the matter.

Bit of ecstatic backward walking and I'm sure the job will be oxo.
St. Ringo recited The Book of Thomas................... the Tank Engine.

Nesuno

And if so why?

John's Gospel nearly didn't make the final cut. It's Gnostic in it's form. The central and controversial point, and also the the greatest promise is where Jesus says that He and the Father are one. Followed by you and the Father shall be one also. This hope of a direct union with god opens the door to an incredable possibility. But it also opens the door for abuse by charlatans falsely claiming to be in communion with God, for selfish gain.

Having said that, because of the potential of having such a union with God, John's was indeed my favourite Gospel.

My one contention, an the reason it made it in, is because Thomas is interpreted to have declared Jesus as God, when he says "My Lord and my God". This declaration was useful to those who voted for the deification of Jesus at the council of Nicea in 225 CE.

publicrealm

I prefer a good book to "the good book", maybe I'm missing out on something, but it's too late for me now.
Never too late to repent your evil ways Tonic.

St. Anthony of Padua is your man - patron saint of lost souls. You might want to visit his tongue, which is preserved for veneration in Padua.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The sad thing of course is that if one is going to be a demented freak one could at least achieve a level of integrity by finding something original to be demented about.

It is very disappointing to encounter someone distinctly swivel eyed on behalf of their understanding of Mr Jesus, Mr Yahweh or Mr Allah these days.

It isn't as if it hasn't been heard hundreds of thousands of times before in quite a number of languages. I suppose we could refer to the religious forms of dementia as 'second hand dementia' in order to be kind to the truly original in nuttiness.

On that basis alone David Icke probably outranks the pope, the chief rabbi and the grand mufti.

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
I'm looking forward to the return of the Hurruffiya, the Dolcinians and the Pneumatomachians myself.

Last edited:

eoghanacht

Such equality and tolerance you display amongst religions...
Look, I know you're simple but ratio as much as it upsets her isn't the embodiment of Roman Catholicism.

GDPR

Never too late to repent your evil ways Tonic.

St. Anthony of Padua is your man - patron saint of lost souls. You might want to visit his tongue, which is preserved for veneration in Padua.
Some may consider my ways evil, but they're my ways and I like'em.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies