• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Do you remember Bláithín-Irelands first TV Artist

Deep Blue

Anyone remember 'The High Chapparall'?

Came across it on TCM a few months ago and abandoned everything to watch three episodes in a row. Brought me back to a time long gone.
John Cannon, his brother Buck, Blue Boy, Manuel and Victoria you mean?

Oh yes....

They also repeated 'The Virginian' on RTE2 a few years ago, I was like you, glued to it...

Seanie Lemass

John Cannon, his brother Buck, Blue Boy, Manuel and Victoria you mean?

Oh yes....

They also repeated 'The Virginian' on RTE2 a few years ago, I was like you, glued to it...

Yes. It reminded me of sitting watching it with my Da.

Manolito was Victoria's brother. It has actually stood the test of time. Those amazing blue skies!

alloverbartheshouting

Folks who were children in the late 60's /early 70;s will surely remember with fondness Bláithín the first TV artist . Cute,bilingual an everyone's big sister type of gal. I used to love her show......and practiced her art as best I could-she certainly caused some pre pubescent stirrings chez O'Pericles.

RTE have resurrected one of her shows:

[video]http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/1140201/[/video]

which may be seen on RTE player.......anyone else share these memories.
I am a bit too young *cough* to remember Bláithín, but I tells ya this thread will give me nightmares tonight.

I came across the Aunty Poppy segment on the RTÉ Player - more my vintage. I never liked it as a kid and just worked out why now.

The theme tune (only about 10 seconds long actually) is creepy as hell... :shock:

Aunty Poppy's Storytime

Seanie Lemass

I am a bit too young *cough* to remember Bláithín, but I tells ya this thread will give me nightmares tonight.

I came across the Aunty Poppy segment on the RTÉ Player - more my vintage. I never liked it as a kid and just worked out why now.

The theme tune (only about 10 seconds long actually) is creepy as hell... :shock:

Aunty Poppy's Storytime

They should never have contracted out to the Church of Satan....

Socratus O' Pericles

Or grey.

Everything came out grey from the twin-tub..

I also remember my Dad watching the snooker in Black & White back then.:confused:
Bláithín in black or white is sexy.......................grey out of the twin tub ......eh......................not so much.

darkknight

Gallery 4

Blaithin
Blaithin O'Ciobhain was born in Dublin in 1935 and attended N.C.A.D. where she studied under Keating and graduated with honours from The School of Painting in 1958. In 1960 Blaithin joined RTE where she wrote and presented "Lets Draw with Blaithin", the world's first televised fine arts masterclass. The show ran for 14 years and won Blaithin both the Jacobs Broadcasting Award and the Prix Jeunesse Munich. She is a skilled still life artist working through the medium of pastel. Like much contemporary still life Blaithin chooses everyday objects as her subject matter which draws the viewer to focus on the technique and composition of the painting. She has exhibited frequently throughout her career and her exhibitions include the R.H.A., Living Art, Oireachtas and Celtic Festivasl L'Orient, Brittany 1983 & 1984. In 1982 she was elected a member of the Watercolour Society of Ireland.

more of her work: http://www.dukestreetgallery.ie/store/category/376/121/Blaithin/

d7bohs

'I looked at it for a long time and it made me think of something big and black and hairy'

irishpancake

Ahh Bláithín...yes, I remember....but it was for my sisters really!!!

Blaithin O'Ciobhain....but I seem to remember a different last name, possibly some kinda memory thing.

The lads I love to recall were these two gents:

David Kelly and Jimmy O'Dea

Brilliant stuff from two great actors

O'Dea's Your Man - RTÉ Player

Set in a Signal Box, the older and wiser Station Master, Mr. O (Jimmy O'Dea) and his younger assistant, Ignatius (David Kelly), discuss life. In this episode Mr. O remembers the days of his more athletic youth and his experience as a jockey. First broadcast: 02/02/1964.

onlyasking

Folks who were children in the late 60's /early 70;s will surely remember with fondness Bláithín the first TV artist . Cute,bilingual an everyone's big sister type of gal. I used to love her show......and practiced her art as best I could-she certainly caused some pre pubescent stirrings chez O'Pericles.

RTE have resurrected one of her shows:

[video]http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/1140201/[/video]

which may be seen on RTE player.......anyone else share these memories.
Oh man, that gives me goosebumps. I was six when that was broadcast, but I was already in love with drawing and painting. She accelerated that process, big time. Certainly a charmer, and far nicer than some of the old stick-in-the-mud teachers of that era.

A sweet tone to the voice, and a way with words that doesn't infantilise the young audience.

At the age of 19 I met and had a passionate two-year relationship with a girl called Blaithín - I'm sure there was a resonance working away there (and still the closest of friends).

What became of the lovely cailín? I hope she's still around and still painting away.

I have to hand it to you Socrates, you do a fine line in OPs.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies