• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Do You Still Have Confidence In This Government?

R3volution_R3ady

This coalition has completely gone rogue...

I remember correctly that Gilmore stood up that day and announced that it was either "Labours way or Frankfurts way.." and Leo Varadkar stated that the sentiment inside Fine Gael was "Not one red cent...."

Their actions in government however is to the exact contrary. These parties were not voted in because they were entitled to it after sitting so long on the opposition benches, they were not voted in because they're great craic down the pub. They were voted in on their promises, their proposals and their discussions with the Irish people. The people of Ireland sent a clear message and now the government have done a complete u-turn. How is this democratic? How is this a legitimate government? Are we to obey an illegitimate government?

When Pat Rabbitte was asked last night on TWIP if Labour had lied to the people that voted for them, his answer was "but sure isn't that what you do during an election campaign". Some backbenchers might stick their chest out a bit because they're getting the brunt of it in their local constituency offices but the cronies up top rely on remoteness from the very people they claim to represent. The EU of course love their stooges. Another group of eejits to control for another term. Seeing Enda Kenny strutting down the aisle today at the EU Peace Prize ceremony thinking he was the dogs b0llox would lead any reasonable individual to think that our Taoiseach is afraid. He's reluctant to engage with voters and the people of Ireland because he fears their choice will not equate what he is being told to do. All of this demonstrates clear contempt for democracy.

This is not what the people of Ireland voted for.

Last edited:

Rural

I had no confidence in them even before I didn't vote for them (didn't vote FF either)!!

Dunlin3

I feel sorry for those that believed a word of Labour's election commitments. Were so many people that naive?

leroy42

I have lost confidence.

I dwasn't naive enough to think they would magically make everything better when they came in, but I did expect a different way. Remember, FF were practically a government punch drink, they really gave the impression they hadn't a clue what to do. Yet this crowd comes in and just continues on as before.

Putting aside the economics for a second (I know it's the most important but I think most people accept that at the very least we can't blame FG/Lab for the mess we are in), it's all the other stuff they talked about before the election that is so annoying.

They talked about transparency, openness, Paddy likes to know etc. A new type of politics etc. That doesn't cost money, that is just a change in attitude. Instead we have got more of the same, decisions taken for the good of the party rather than the good of the country, apparent strokes, an apparent unwillingness to touch the elites and themselves but happy to make those in most need suffer.

They seem to be more about what can't be done rather than what can

Last edited:

Bren Boru

Well you can't beat a specific thread.

The op is basically a rant.

Zoo.

Disillusioned democrat

Any optimism and confidence I had was eroded within the first 12 months when they used the Coalition as an excuse for jettisoning all collective pre-election promises and basically picking up where the previous (and one-time most reviled) government lest off.

The government are like a continuous re-play of the new Irish Pictorial Weekly sketch where "yer man" and "himself" debate "something" on TV to impress the muckers. It's become very evident that our leaders efforts are focused exclusively on two objectives - getting re-elected and making sure that they retain the trappings and privileges of an antiquated system.

The country is effectively rudderless because to actually take charge and lead would require giving away all these people have striven for since they first kissed babies and pulled strokes to get elected - influence without accountability, luxurious pay and pensions, pomp and self-importance - they would have to lead from the top, take the cuts necessary to enforce similar cuts across the board, make government accountable and eliminate the 6 figure public sector pensions.

The only confidence I have in the gombeens leading the country is that they will do nothing to make their own position less attractive, so will continue to pretend that "recovery" is achievable by hoping to get back to the circumstances that destroyed this country initially.

Hewson

Well you can't beat a specific thread.

The op is basically a rant.

Zoo.
This business of people calling for threads to be zooed just because they don't like the tone of them is getting to be a bore.

james toney

The Government's position is quite clear for some time now.Promises,What promises?
We are Bankrupt,They know it,They know we know it,Everyone knows it,yet it's all snouts deep into the trough for them,and time to hoover up as much as they can,and as fast as they can,for themselves,friends,and their families.

Lara2

I have no confidence in this Govt either, never voted for them, but thought at the time that they were elected that they might have been more effective than what they have turned out to be. Pat Rabbitte basically admitted on TWIP last night that Labour had lied to the electorate to get votes.
I'd have confidence in the United Left Alliance, maybe Sinn Fein and some independents but that's about all.

Mentalist Clientelist

I think the Government are doing a reasonably good job in the circumstances.

Leaving aside the ranting, raving and frothing at the mouth about how harsh the budget was (it wasn't that harsh), if they can (a) get out of paying the €3.5 billion in March , (b) get some formal deal on the bank debt and (c) balance the books by the time of the next election then that's not a bad return for one term in office.

That would mean that in the face of very tough economic conditions, they have balanced the books and reneged on the bank debt. They'll certainly lose a few TDs between now and the next election but the world economic outlook may greatly improve by then.

Hewson

Since Enda Kenny is Taoiseach and therefore leader, the motivation for change really has to come from him. Rather than re-write what I posted yesterday in response to praise of Kenny from another poster, I hope you don't mind if I just copy and paste.

----

Your praise for Kenny is made with the best of intentions, I'm sure. He needs all the friends he can get.

He's is a big improvement on his predecessor, Cowen, but that's the equivalent of saying that being run over by a donkey is preferable to being run over by a bus. He may be a 'decent' man. Cowen, by all accounts, was also a decent man, but that decent man played no small part in wrecking the country by his blundering stupidity. To add insult to injury he refused to face the nation and talk, in the midst of the loss of our hard-won independence when we became a province in the care of the Fourth Reich.

It's something the hapless, robotic Kenny has in common with him, this failure to face hard questions and give honest, meaningful and accurate answers to. Instead we get meaningless gibberish laced with verbo-spam, a kind of minestrone soup made up of irrelevant cliches and pious aspirations based solely on his party's hope that 'something good' will happen along the way to help prove him right.

At a time in the nation's history when we need a Lemass or a Whittaker or even an O'Regan to stand up straight and take the side of the people who really matter, we're lumbered with a jackass when what we really need is a Clydesdale.

And he's not the only one. The political clowns in all three main Parties have sold up any moral right to govern with authority, having prostituted the nation to the pimps of international and domestic banking while guaranteeing the security of their own long-term comforts in the form of obscenely-high pensions and salaries. This theft of the current and future wealth of Ireland's citizens to save criminals from the consequences of their own greed and stupidity is an indictment of the type of moral fibre that makes up our cabal of subservient weaklings in all Parties.

Kenny is the personification of what Ireland has become, post bailout.

richie268

Confidence is something one has before reality sets in.

meriwether

I think the Government are doing a reasonably good job in the circumstances.

Leaving aside the ranting, raving and frothing at the mouth about how harsh the budget was (it wasn't that harsh), if they can (a) get out of paying the €3.5 billion in March , (b) get some formal deal on the bank debt and (c) balance the books by the time of the next election then that's not a bad return for one term in office.

That would mean that in the face of very tough economic conditions, they have balanced the books and reneged on the bank debt. They'll certainly lose a few TDs between now and the next election but the world economic outlook may greatly improve by then.
I would love for someone to explain to me this government could replace the jobs, and ancilliary jobs, associated with a collapse of hosue building from 90k units p.a. to 9k.

Oh, and the associated goverment expenditure predicated on the transaction tax of these 90k houses.

I presume prople accepot that some form of austerity is required when you add 200k onto the dole queue, and experience the double whammey of losing the income these 200k people were generating, along with having to pay their social welfare?

I suppsoe it might help if we replaced the word 'austerity' with the phrase 'living within your means'.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies